Goodbye To Morrissey: An Essay On Art And Morals by Volkmar Mühleis

I came to this thread hoping to get perspective on this Goodbye to Morrissey

I immediately find it unreadable and overwrought and discursive to the point of reading like some obscure doctoral dissertation.

It's mostly just over idiosyncratic philosophy jamble and every now and then Morrissey's name is mentioned, just to seemingly refocus and anchor it back to the subject. I assumed since someone put this much work into a text about Morrissey, it would illuminate things I had forgotten or missed.

For instance:
I always assumed Girlfriend in a Coma was about Morrissey trying to kill his girlfriend, botching it and she falls into a coma and he's asking the doctor about her recovery while feigning his concern, hoping she doesn't wake up because he would then be reported to the police by her-

Volkmar writes: "The protagonist defends his love, despite the trauma, which he in short describes, calls out, the rage, the feeling of being held up ridicule, the pain that eats way into his love, shattering it (I still love you, oh I still love you/...only slightly less than I used to.)

Seems to be missing the point.

Also there are easy key points to cover in addressing and dispelling the controversy over him being "racist", not even mentioned from what I have scanned from the book so far - things like: Joyce on television saying Morrissey is clearly not racist, or say the anti- Trump tirade Trump Shifters of the World with accompanying background anti-Trump stage image projected, or even just a reminder of the opening lyrics to You Are the Quarry etc. etc.

I purchased this book yesterday, so clearly I was somewhat enthusiastic about it, I thought it would be rock writing but through the lens of continental philosophy and critical theory, which would seem interesting and from an ostensibly different angle, but it's all just mostly impenetrable tightly formatted meandering text . . .

I think the title says a lot, it could have been a more romantic "Farwell To Morrissey", but it's "Goodbye To Morrissey", which seems to reveal an author reveling in Morrissey being easily disposable by this point (well, to him at least).

You think a book about one's favorite artist would practically read itself within hours, but it just makes me exhausted.

Knowing nothing about the content, I have to say that the cover looks very appealing.
A bit of a nod to The Queen is Dead perhaps?

Yeah don't look into why people like Morrissey have concerns about immigration, better to just remain ignorant and spend your time writing a book congratulating yourself on having the moral high ground. Well done! :clap:
The moral high ground goes both ways

But he doesn't really have concerns! The NME blew up mild comments in 2007 about London. Then he was against strict borders & no borders in 2014 & 2017. And was puzzled about why people were so angry at him in 2019. And that's it.

From the blurb it's unlikely the guy looked past the headlines or the tweet storms - which is pretty shameful for an academic.
I think you may need to do a bit more research and actually read/listen to his own words in the German interview for example.

People who call Morrissey "radical right" have no f***ing idea about politics. A vegan, who detests republicans, is part of the LGBT community etc ... his political compass is kind of all over the place.
Are you saying lgbt people can’t be from the radical right? Who detests republicans and evidence?

What Morrissey's haters cannot tolerate is that he actually hasn't changed his views. It's them who have changed, or who failed to understand him all along.

These people were never really allies or admirers of him at all. They used to say they liked him when it was popular to do so (circa 'Quarry') but now, when the chips are down, they want to put the boot in. Morrissey doesn't need them anyway.

Say farewell to your fairweather friends
And not a second too soon
Hilarious

He's loyal to Billy "the Jews have work to do" Bragg.

But obviously a person is evil for mentioning the wrong names at the wrong time. And you should always bring that up to demonise them. That's what nice people do.
I
Do you really think some kind of apology will shut these people up? You gotta be joking!

Morrissey knows this, and that’s why his stance of why bother? i.e., not explaining or apologizing and no interviews, is the one he seems to be taking.
loss of money certainly focuses pop stars minds.

Bollocks.

He said he thought she was being lied about, he had been lied about, she'd released a radical set of animal rights policies - when he appeared on Jimmy Fallon with his tiny badge - which he only wore twice - his entire band were in Animal Liberation t-shirts for a New York animal rights group that had been bought esp for the show.

And every scandal has centred on a phrase ripped out of context - not to mention Jonze getting revenge by complaining round Fleet Street.

View attachment 80535

View attachment 80536

View attachment 80537
For Britain’s manifesto back then had a single page related to animal welfare, less than other parties and its focus was he manifesto promise to get veal crating in the UK banned.

Veal crates were made illegal in the UK more than 30 years ago. For someone who was allegedly a huge animal rights campaigner to not know that was a clear indicator that the animals rights manifesto points were a cynical attempt to get people to vote for her, which of course they didn’t.

The majority of her policies evolves around anti Islamic rhetoric and stopping all immigration and that is besides her distasteful links to other far right groups in the UK and Europe.

But she was right about one thing, that people would be manipulated to like her if she portrays the image of being an animals rights campaigner but wasn’t enough to get anyone to vote for her.

I immediately find it unreadable and overwrought and discursive to the point of reading like some obscure doctoral dissertation.

It's mostly just over idiosyncratic philosophy jamble and every now and then Morrissey's name is mentioned, just to seemingly refocus and anchor it back to the subject. I assumed since someone put this much work into a text about Morrissey, it would illuminate things I had forgotten or missed.

For instance:
I always assumed Girlfriend in a Coma was about Morrissey trying to kill his girlfriend, botching it and she falls into a coma and he's asking the doctor about her recovery while feigning his concern, hoping she doesn't wake up because he would then be reported to the police by her-

Volkmar writes: "The protagonist defends his love, despite the trauma, which he in short describes, calls out, the rage, the feeling of being held up ridicule, the pain that eats way into his love, shattering it (I still love you, oh I still love you/...only slightly less than I used to.)

Also there are easy key points to cover in addressing and dispelling the controversy over him being "racist", not even mentioned from what I have scanned from the book so far - things like: Joyce on television saying Morrissey is clearly not racist, or say the anti- Trump tirade Trump Shifters of the World with accompanying background anti-Trump stage image projected, or even just a reminder of the opening lyrics to You Are the Quarry etc. etc.

I purchased this book yesterday, so clearly I was somewhat enthusiastic about it, I thought it would be rock writing but through the lens of continental philosophy and critical theory, which would seem interesting and from an ostensibly different angle, but it's all just mostly impenetrable tightly formatted meandering text . . .

I think the title says a lot, it could have been a more romantic "Farwell To Morrissey", but it's "Goodbye To Morrissey", which seems to reveal an author reveling in Morrissey being easily disposable by this point (well, to him at least).

You think a book about one's favorite artist would practically read itself within hours, but it just makes me exhausted.
“it's all just mostly impenetrable tightly formatted meandering text . . .”

That reminds me of another book.

I was intrigued by Alain saying that Moz had "changed for the better", that was quite interesting.
But what strikes me most is what hasn't changed - his depression.
He is his employer.

Was strange Alain posted a tribute to the queen that has strangely now been removed.

It's just not the case.

All that happened is that A Journalist used Pingate as vindication. All their media mates went to town. And now the truth is finally emerging they don't know how to play it.

I have email exchanges where they kept falling back on subspecies - but as the media used uppity fagg*t, closet Queen, poofy bastard, & truculent fruit - it's not holding.

What they'll do is gradually pretend it never happened. If he's genuinely never going to speak to them again, then the end point will probably be a big anniversary. Vauxhall & I or Quarry. Or a book/film/documentary about him.
Unlikely. He can’t even get a recording contract. I doubt anyone will want to make a film. Didn’t that already happen anyway and he moaned about it too?

For instance:

I think your interpretation of Girlfriend in a Coma is one I’ve never heard before and I think you may have missed the point.

Back
Top Bottom