Goodbye To Morrissey: An Essay On Art And Morals by Volkmar Mühleis

Who exactly didn't say or write anything more after the talks about a reunion in 2009 in a pub in Manchester and an exchange by email?
Was it Marr or Morrissey and how would you feel if there might have been a real chance for you to reunite?
Still totally loyal when it came to poor Tommy Robinson, brave Anne-Marie Waters and popular Nigel Farage?

No. He's got more wary of the press & his health is worse - but ill & struggling to form relationships was always his thing.

That's change, if not growth. You really think he's frozen in time. And you know more about it than Johnny Marr, who was once his closest friend. Got it.

That's change, if not growth. You really think he's frozen in time. And you know more about it than Johnny Marr, who was once his closest friend. Got it.

You think Johnny Marr has been following Morrissey's solo career like a Morrissey fan?

I've been in the same room as Morrissey more than Marr has in the past 18 years just by going to his gigs.

Journalists keep telling Marr that Moz is fash now - that's the change.

Who exactly didn't say or write anything more after the talks about a reunion in 2009 in a pub in Manchester and an exchange by email?
Was it Marr or Morrissey and how would you feel if there might have been a real chance for you to reunite?
Still totally loyal when it came to poor Tommy Robinson, brave Anne-Marie Waters and popular Nigel Farage?

He's loyal to Billy "the Jews have work to do" Bragg.

But obviously a person is evil for mentioning the wrong names at the wrong time. And you should always bring that up to demonise them. That's what nice people do.

You think Johnny Marr has been following Morrissey's solo career like a Morrissey fan?

I've been in the same room as Morrissey more than Marr has in the past 18 years just by going to his gigs.

Journalists keep telling Marr that Moz is fash now - that's the change.

I'm pretty sure they still have friends in common. So you think going to Morrissey's shows means you know him. You're a trip.

I'm pretty sure they still have friends in common. So you think going to Morrissey's shows means you know him. You're a trip.

You're pretty sure, aye? Because you know what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm not sure there has been any radical change in Morrissey since the Smiths days. All the signs of the things that some people are now clutching their pearls and getting offended at now were apparent back then. Aspects of people's character do tend to get ingrained over time, and as people get older these can get exaggerated and they can seem to turn slightly into a caricature of who they used to be. I can see elements of this in Morrissey, but essentially he's exactly the same as he ever was.

I was intrigued by Alain saying that Moz had "changed for the better", that was quite interesting.
But what strikes me most is what hasn't changed - his depression.

I was intrigued by Alain saying that Moz had "changed for the better", that was quite interesting.

But what strikes me most is what hasn't changed - his depression.

Surprised you’re struck. Sometimes it doesn’t leave. One can accept and work with it as best they could. Usually not by choice, but it’s better than the grim alternative.

People who call Morrissey "radical right" have no f***ing idea about politics. A vegan, who detests republicans, is part of the LGBT community etc ... his political compass is kind of all over the place.
It's true his political compass is all over the place. We know he's expressed a liking for politicians from all sides over the years, even in relatively recent times. Unfortunately, however, his support for Anne Waters's For Britain is the most sustained and unambiguous endorsement he's ever given to anyone in his 40 years of celebrity, and it's still sitting there on his website (and her Wikipedia entry) for anyone to quote from in any Twitter (or other) dispute. He first mentioned her in autumn 2017, he formally endorsed her on his website in 2018 and, just when we thought/hoped he'd decided to never mention her again, in 2019 he actually wore her party's ugly emblem at concerts and on television thereby broadcasting his support to literally millions of people. Unless he formally retracts his support for the ghastly woman and her ugly brand of politics, this current situation will continue indefinitely. Simply saying that he has never voted makes not the slightest bit of difference to his predicament - if it wasn't obvious in 2019, it certainly is now.

It's true his political compass is all over the place. We know he's expressed a liking for politicians from all sides over the years, even in relatively recent times. Unfortunately, however, his support for Anne Waters's For Britain is the most sustained and unambiguous endorsement he's ever given to anyone in his 40 years of celebrity, and it's still sitting there on his website (and her Wikipedia entry) for anyone to quote from in any Twitter (or other) dispute. He first mentioned her in autumn 2017, he formally endorsed her on his website in 2018 and, just when we thought/hoped he'd decided to never mention her again, in 2019 he actually wore her party's ugly emblem at concerts and on television thereby broadcasting his support to literally millions of people. Unless he formally retracts his support for the ghastly woman and her ugly brand of politics, this current situation will continue indefinitely. Simply saying that he has never voted makes not the slightest bit of difference to his predicament - if it wasn't obvious in 2019, it certainly is now.

Do you really think some kind of apology will shut these people up? You gotta be joking!

Morrissey knows this, and that’s why his stance of why bother? i.e., not explaining or apologizing and no interviews, is the one he seems to be taking.

It's just not the case.

All that happened is that A Journalist used Pingate as vindication. All their media mates went to town. And now the truth is finally emerging they don't know how to play it.

I have email exchanges where they kept falling back on subspecies - but as the media used uppity fagg*t, closet Queen, poofy bastard, & truculent fruit - it's not holding.

What they'll do is gradually pretend it never happened. If he's genuinely never going to speak to them again, then the end point will probably be a big anniversary. Vauxhall & I or Quarry. Or a book/film/documentary about him.

Do you really think some kind of apology will shut these people up? You gotta be joking!

Morrissey knows this, and that’s why his stance of why bother? i.e., not explaining or apologizing and no interviews, is the one he seems to be taking.
Doesn't really need an apology - just a clarification of views which would include a retraction of wholehearted support for right wing politics. A statement could read along the lines of 'throughout my career I've expressed a liking for politicians across the spectrum. It seems however that I am now exclusively associated with the far right which is a clear misrepresentation of my views (etc)'.
He tried to do this with the t-shirt slogan he wore at the 2020 shows. It said something like, 'I'm not far left, I'm not far right, I'm far forward'. But there needs to be something written down that people can reference in a Twitter (or other) dispute. At the moment there is nothing to counter accusations of his right-wing affiliation, and so the vitriol and toxicity continues unchallenged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom