Goodbye To Morrissey: An Essay On Art And Morals by Volkmar Mühleis

A

Anonymous

31iIS9NIljL._SX243_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg

Goodbye To Morrissey: An Essay On Art And Morals​

Volkmar Mühleis

'Goodbye to Morrissey' is a case study about what about what it means in Pop culture to place trust in someone, to be their fan. As such, it deals on the surface with the political and ethical conflict exemplified by the swing of the singer Morrissey to the radical right. On a deeper level, it treats the fundamental questions accompanying Morrissey's shift: the relationship between art and morality, idol and idolizer, critique and myth. Superficiality and profundity - Pop and philosophy - illuminate each other in one provocative essay.

Cry me a f***ing river, Volkmar. Preferably right after you stop assigning ridiculous, fallacious and offensive epithets to someone you’re slandering and who still doesn’t owe you anything

Those opening speech/quotation marks on the cover not having a corresponding closing pair is making my brain itch.

Yeah don't look into why people like Morrissey have concerns about immigration, better to just remain ignorant and spend your time writing a book congratulating yourself on having the moral high ground. Well done! :clap:

Has anyone actually read this? It might be shite, but I can at least comprehend how examining some fans movement from worshipping 'Saint Morrissey' to castigating him as the antichrist night be an interesting examination.

Yeah don't look into why people like Morrissey have concerns about immigration, better to just remain ignorant and spend your time writing a book congratulating yourself on having the moral high ground. Well done! :clap:

But he doesn't really have concerns! The NME blew up mild comments in 2007 about London. Then he was against strict borders & no borders in 2014 & 2017. And was puzzled about why people were so angry at him in 2019. And that's it.

From the blurb it's unlikely the guy looked past the headlines or the tweet storms - which is pretty shameful for an academic.

People who call Morrissey "radical right" have no f***ing idea about politics. A vegan, who detests republicans, is part of the LGBT community etc ... his political compass is kind of all over the place.

Volkmar Mühleis has stated his boundaries

But he doesn't really have concerns! The NME blew up mild comments in 2007 about London. Then he was against strict borders & no borders in 2014 & 2017. And was puzzled about why people were so angry at him in 2019. And that's it.

From the blurb it's unlikely the guy looked past the headlines or the tweet storms - which is pretty shameful for an academic.
Well, that and the fact he decided to wind up the masses by talking about UKip , on his first bit of promo for LIHS - the Beeb concert
Then started name dropping AMW's name , which is considered, rightly or wrongly, far right .
He then went on to wear a badge supporting her party.

Now, for the rest of the world, this may seem like nothing. For Brits and Irish folk, who live on small iselands these things are huge
It showed a load of his fans, M was no longer what they thoguht he was, he was no longer on their team - i am not saying I agree

Then just to give them more to moan about he started talking crap with a German magazine, to off set that he inerviewed himself and somehow made things even worse.

Linder , herself even said M's views were an "elephant in the room" pretty much saying he really does have these "far right" views.

Well, that and the fact he decided to wind up the masses by talking about UKip , on his first bit of promo for LIHS - the Beeb concert
Then started name dropping AMW's name , which is considered, rightly or wrongly, far right .

Now, for the rest of the world, this may seem like nothing. For Brits and Irish folk, who live on small iselands these things are huge
It showed a load of his fans, M was no longer what they thoguht he was, he was no longer on their team - i am not saying I agree

Then just to give them more to moan about he started talking crap with a German magazine, to off set that he inerviewed himself and somehow made things even worse.

Linder , herself even said M's views were an "elephant in the room" pretty much saying he really does have these "far right" views.

is that really what she’s saying though?

I remember it vaguely, but I couldn’t find that interview. If you have a link? that would be helpful.

“She also became known as Morrissey’s muse and went on to photograph him extensively in the early 90s as he toured the US. “We shared the same taste, liked the same books,” she says. “We shared a house for a brief period in Whalley Range – it was a red-light district then.” With his counterintuitive views on the far-right For Britain party, Morrissey is a touchy subject these days, but Linder is loyal. “We’ve always disagreed,” she says. “It’s a healthy disagreement, the sort that comes with unconditional love.”

from Guardian

‘They write letters and meet up whenever they can. “I think the friendship’s beyond geography. It will just find its own contours depending on where we both are in the world, what we’re both reading and looking at.” Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him? “No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”"

from The Star.

I added those quotes from Linder simply to demonstrate the perspective of a person that has the whole picture, one that’s framed with understanding and love. Also to demonstrate a strong individual that does their own thinking. (and she’s not on his ‘payroll’)

So in a way, this book is fine. Though it’s simply written from the point of view of someone that doesn’t know Morrissey. There should be a disclaimer on its cover. 😁

Last edited:

Bollocks.

He said he thought she was being lied about, he had been lied about, she'd released a radical set of animal rights policies - when he appeared on Jimmy Fallon with his tiny badge - which he only wore twice - his entire band were in Animal Liberation t-shirts for a New York animal rights group that had been bought esp for the show.

And every scandal has centred on a phrase ripped out of context - not to mention Jonze getting revenge by complaining round Fleet Street.

20220412_181022.jpg

20220412_181041.jpg

20220403_010028.jpg

Has anyone read this and reviewed it, anywhere? Be nice to read a balanced review, rather than people just judging the book by the blurb.

What Morrissey's haters cannot tolerate is that he actually hasn't changed his views. It's them who have changed, or who failed to understand him all along.

These people were never really allies or admirers of him at all. They used to say they liked him when it was popular to do so (circa 'Quarry') but now, when the chips are down, they want to put the boot in. Morrissey doesn't need them anyway.

Say farewell to your fairweather friends
And not a second too soon

What Morrissey's haters cannot tolerate is that he actually hasn't changed his views. It's them who have changed, or who failed to understand him all along.

These people were never really allies or admirers of him at all. They used to say they liked him when it was popular to do so (circa 'Quarry') but now, when the chips are down, they want to put the boot in. Morrissey doesn't need them anyway.

Say farewell to your fairweather friends
And not a second too soon

Nah, Johnny's said Moz has changed and who knew him better. Who doesn't change between 25 and 60? If you don't change, that'd be weird.

Back
Top Bottom