good record stores in NY?

sistasheila

tjekket
i am looking for nice record stores-the typical little indie record store complete with their nerdy owners:) but also some stores who sells "world music" eps indian music :specifically bollywoodmusicsoundtracks from the 60 ties...i have a weekness for these Hindi films esp the earlier ones because there were kind of "out there" i did see one where they use 60ties rock roll and mix it with hindi music ...that would be one thing i would really hope for to find...i first got hooked when i saw tht great film ghost world with thora birch and scarlett johansson where thora watches some of these obscure bollywood film that stems prabably from the late 60 ties ...

i dont know if there is a little indian neighbourhood in ny...in manhattan or brokklyn somewhere? heard something about the queens boulavard which has practially the whole world at one long street every mile a new country but i wonder if that only means grocery stores and if they do sell music only on these crappy cassettes? so i guess i have to look for a "normal" record store,uh?

they sound more like the store which is "indie based" but thanks anyway

so if anyone can help me with that "indian store" or neighbourhood that would be fine

i am looking for some stores who sells "world music" eps indian music :specifically bollywoodmusicsoundtracks from the 60 ties...

If the Indian stores/neighborhoods in NYC are anything like the Indian stores that I'm familiar with in Chicago & Washington, DC, it'll be impossible not to find Bollywood movies. If you're lucky, you'll also find some movie theaters that play nothing but. But as for specifics in NYC, I can't help you there.

not looking for bollywood movies - looking for LP or CD bollywood soundtracks...yeah but thank you also sir;.)

Last edited:
I was at Bleeker Street Records... On Bleeker by West 4th by the way last week. I have picked up many a quality bootleg. It is where I get a few of the U2 concerts that I throw up here for free.

They have a wide assortment of different recordings that you will not find on Amazon. The only downside is the price. For an unauthorized quality recording they will usually charge you $20 per disc. I paid $45 + tax on the U2 boot I bought that is presently posted in "other music".

Enjoy.

academy records will probably have some bollywood records. i bet other music has a decent selection. and also on 6th street between 2nd and 1st is a little indian video store i bet theyve got bollywood cds.

for general indie bs go to rebel rebel.

good luck and enjoy your stay in nyc.

I was at Bleeker Street Records... On Bleeker by West 4th by the way last week. I have picked up many a quality bootleg. It is where I get a few of the U2 concerts that I throw up here for free.

They have a wide assortment of different recordings that you will not find on Amazon. The only downside is the price. For an unauthorized quality recording they will usually charge you $20 per disc. I paid $45 + tax on the U2 boot I bought that is presently posted in "other music".

Enjoy.

I was also there recently and had a blast. I picked up a brand new vinyl copy of the movie soundtrack for the film "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" for only $13. The CD bootlegs I saw were kinda cheap but they definitely had stuff I had never seen or heard of. They had Japanese vinyl imports of most of the Beatles records for around $80!!! But you can spend hours scouring the shelves with the rare stuff they have. And as a bonus, there's two resident fat cats that are so friendly :)

academy records will probably have some bollywood records. i bet other music has a decent selection. and also on 6th street between 2nd and 1st is a little indian video store i bet theyve got bollywood cds.

for general indie bs go to rebel rebel.

good luck and enjoy your stay in nyc.

i wil check them out thnks

can you tell where they are located :"academy records" and "other music" (if "other music" is the name of the other store)

is the last one the little indian store is that 1st and 2nd street
or 1st and 2 avenue and is it east or west?

i wil check them out thnks

can you tell where they are located :"academy records" and "other music" (if "other music" is the name of the other store)

is the last one the little indian store is that 1st and 2nd street
or 1st and 2 avenue and is it east or west?

Oh! Academy Records! I was to going to tell you that one... They have great deals on used and "like new" CDs of almost anything rare you can imagine. I just can't remember the address... But my ex bf and I went always there. They're specialized in classic music and I loved the OST section... Really cheap too :)

Other store is Disc-O-Rama in Greenwich Village, west 4, near Washington Square.

Back
Top Bottom