Glasgow - SEC Armadillo (Oct. 2, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Billy Budd / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / I Am Veronica / Rebels Without Applause / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / (Auld Lang Syne intro) Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / The Loop / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of 'Grant Halliday' & anon. (order not 100%)

Last edited:
I agree with most of your post, but this…really? That was one of the songs I was most looking forward to, imo it ranks amongst his very best solo work. Each to their own, but genuinely surprised by that assessment, i think it’s great.

The gig would have been so much better even in the Concert Hall, but that aside it was just magnificent with so many highlights. The new songs were excellent, Sure Enough… in particular and it’s rare to hear unreleased material stand up so well especially in such illustrious company. Jack the Ripper is a sensational live song, Half A Person is a dream but Please, Please, Please totally stole the show for me. As great as his singing always is, his delivery of that is as good as anybody can offer and you could sense the venue falling silent in awe after the first couple of lines.

A truly beautiful experience from start to finish.
Knockabout was the only song I felt a little underwhelmed by, but let's just say it was a 9/10 as opposed to all the other 10/10 songs tonight.
Please Please Please was absolutely the standout moment of the whole night. The only reason I didn't mention it in my post is because I raved about it SO MUCH on my own personal Facebook page that when I came to writing here, I already felt I'd said enough.
I thought the crowd were magnificent tonight...rowdy when needed, silent and respectful when in awe.
As you said...a beautiful experience.
Take care,
Gordon

Knockabout was the only song I felt a little underwhelmed by, but let's just say it was a 9/10 as opposed to all the other 10/10 songs tonight.
Please Please Please was absolutely the standout moment of the whole night. The only reason I didn't mention it in my post is because I raved about it SO MUCH on my own personal Facebook page that when I came to writing here, I already felt I'd said enough.
I thought the crowd were magnificent tonight...rowdy when needed, silent and respectful when in awe.
As you said...a beautiful experience.
Take care,
Gordon

Fair enough 😊 I wasn’t meaning to dispute your opinion or anything, was just a bit surprised by it as it’s a song I absolutely love and have been constantly banging on to my pals about how much I had been looking forward to it 😂

Agree entirely with everything else, so much to love that it’s hard to pick specific moments out. It had the feel of a festival setlist in a way, a few big hitters to start and close and a perfect balance of classics and new/lesser known songs in between.

Yeh, the setlists have been very similar to each other just about every night. I don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Attending my first Moz gig on Friday and can't wait!

Yeh, the setlists have been very similar to each other just about every night. I don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Attending my first Moz gig on Friday and can't wait!

I don’t mind the set-list being very similar from gig to gig when it’s as strong as this one. It includes a number of favourite Smiths/Morrissey songs that I’m really looking to hearing & would hate to miss.

Of course, with such a rich back catalogue spanning 40 years, there are plenty of songs that I’d also personally choose to swap into the set - & I could easily fill a dozen set-lists with songs I’d love to hear him sing - but this will be the best set of songs I’ve ever heard him play live.

Roll on Birmingham on Wednesday!

Me too! There are some amazing tracks in the mix. A wholeheartedly strong Setlist. For sure. I can't complain about any of the tracks he's chosen. But, as you say, he could have easily sung a million other tracks and we would be happy.

I'm glad that lots of people are mentioning how it's the best Setlist in years as well as the fact that he's playing smaller theatres etc, rather than aircraft hangars this tour! It seems I have chosen a good time to go.

I hope you enjoy; only other fans can understand what a special occasion this is and how much it can mean to those who attend. It isn't simply a gig.

I had tickets for Blackpool and had a few days booked away there as well as transport and everything then my mum, who is a huge fan and was coming with me, caught COVID 3 days before. But I decided despite losing money that I was going come hell or high water. So Stockton here I come!

Me too! There are some amazing tracks in the mix. A wholeheartedly strong Setlist. For sure. I can't complain about any of the tracks he's chosen. But, as you say, he could have easily sung a million other tracks and we would be happy.

I'm glad that lots of people are mentioning how it's the best Setlist in years as well as the fact that he's playing smaller theatres etc, rather than aircraft hangars this tour! It seems I have chosen a good time to go.

I hope you enjoy; only other fans can understand what a special occasion this is and how much it can mean to those who attend. It isn't simply a gig.

I had tickets for Blackpool and had a few days booked away there as well as transport and everything then my mum, who is a huge fan and was coming with me, caught COVID 3 days before. But I decided despite losing money that I was going come hell or high water. So Stockton here I come!

Great that you’ll still get to see him.

The last time I saw him was in 2015 at the. NIA arena (or whatever it was called that week) here in Birmingham. The set was heavy with songs from World Peace… - which all sounded better live than on record - but he also played a number of tracks I was pleasantly surprised to hear, including People Are The Same Everywhere…which I absolutely love, no matter what anybody says.

That was a great gig, despite the cavernous venue, but I really can’t wait to see him playing in a club to a few thousand adoring fans.

Just getting to hear him sing Please, Please, Please will be worth the price of entry alone.

LOL!! what is up with that pic with all the weird loners. California Son concerts in his home state are so different than concerts in foreign countries like Britin and Scotchland. A concert in LA or
San Diego people would be going together and having fun.

The restriction for Britin granting California Son a visa must be he doesn't play the queen is dead.

LOL!! what is up with that pic with all the weird loners. California Son concerts in his home state are so different than concerts in foreign countries like Britin and Scotchland. A concert in LA or
San Diego people would be going together and having fun.

The restriction for Britin granting California Son a visa must be he doesn't play the queen is dead.

Must admit, I was really hoping he’d be opening every show of his u.k tour with The Queen Is Dead, as he did the last time I saw him play in 2015; it was a fantastic blast of an opening song.

Great that you’ll still get to see him.

The last time I saw him was in 2015 at the. NIA arena (or whatever it was called that week) here in Birmingham. The set was heavy with songs from World Peace… - which all sounded better live than on record - but he also played a number of tracks I was pleasantly surprised to hear, including People Are The Same Everywhere…which I absolutely love, no matter what anybody says.

That was a great gig, despite the cavernous venue, but I really can’t wait to see him playing in a club to a few thousand adoring fans.

Just getting to hear him sing Please, Please, Please will be worth the price of entry alone.

No matter what anyone in the damn media says, it really speaks volumes that people return to his gigs again and again. I was unfortunately only able to get one ticket, so I'll be going alone. But I prefer that to not going at all.

It's going to be great as Stockton is one of the smallest venues on the tour although they're all around 2500-3,000. It's just much more intimate than a bigger venue.

I agree. I've always wanted to hear him sing that live too. And as for TQID, I was honestly expecting him to sing it at least once while in the UK. Not only is it a great track that reflects my views on royalty, but it is a "banger" as well. I suspect that may have gotten him in hot water with a bunch of people had he sung it.

No matter what anyone in the damn media says, it really speaks volumes that people return to his gigs again and again. I was unfortunately only able to get one ticket, so I'll be going alone. But I prefer that to not going at all.

It's going to be great as Stockton is one of the smallest venues on the tour although they're all around 2500-3,000. It's just much more intimate than a bigger venue.

I agree. I've always wanted to hear him sing that live too. And as for TQID, I was honestly expecting him to sing it at least once while in the UK. Not only is it a great track that reflects my views on royalty, but it is a "banger" as well. I suspect that may have gotten him in hot water with a bunch of people had he sung it.

Yes, it’s crazy how many people - ex-fans & randoms alike - have swallowed the medias lies about who Morrissey is. A few years ago I mentioned Morrissey to a young woman who doesn’t know anything about him & she responded with: “Isn’t he like a racist, or something?” A friend of mine who I took to see Moz play 7 years ago absolutely loved the gig, but in recent years he has left comments on Facebook posts about Morrissey saying things like “Shame he turned into such a massive racist”. Just tonight, I told an Asian friend, & life-long Smiths fan, that I’d managed to get a ticket to see Moz & he replied by saying “I’ve divorced Morrissey but got custody of Johnny Marr”

It’s all so sadly predictable. None of these people follow Morrissey or read anything he says. They just blindly follow what click-bait headlines have told them as they scroll through social media.

Oh well, their loss, I say.

I’m happy going to see Morrissey alone. It seems fitting. I’ll be so focussed on him, his words, his voice, that I’ll be lost in enjoying the moment, not wishing that I had a friend standing beside me.

I’m not too surprised that he hasn’t sung The Queen is Dead on this tour. It would be too obvious, perhaps. He’s made it clear throughout his life how he feels about the monarchy; to gloat over the death of the Queen would be unnecessary. Or maybe he’s just waiting to sing it in London?

Anyway, I’d be surprised if he has chosen to omit the song from his repertoire for fear of a negative response; he’s too much of a stubborn punk for that. As he’s said before: he simply sings the songs he feels like singing, & that’s all we can expect or ask for.

On the topic of him singing controversial songs on this tour, he’s singing Bonfire of Teenagers - which grows on me with every listen - & I’m half-expecting there to be some negative reaction to it when he sings it in Manchester this week. I’m actually surprised that that creep, Haslam (?), hasn’t raised his attention-seeking head already, attempting to cancel Moz’s homecoming gig.

That's incredibly sad. Terrible to be this badly vilified in public for simply having an opinion. On one hand, it's infuriating, although you kind of become immune to it after a while as a fan, it has also weeded out the imbeciles who believe everything the mainstream media tells them. I like the idea of being surrounded by people at the gig who can think for themselves. In fact, it's likely the biggest gathering of intelligent individuals you're likely to attend anywhere.

Definitely their loss. If only people could see through the bs and the vitriolic agenda the media has with regard to him. I believe many people prefer to live in a rose tinted, sugar coated world where they live by the adage "ignorance is bliss" and take everything anyone says at face value without understanding that these people, all people, have some type of agenda. I guess this is where my extreme cynicism pays off as I question pretty much everything.

It's a long time since I've been to a gig alone, but you're right, it does seem apt. I will be too lost in the experience to really care.

Ooh, that's true. I'll be watching out to see whether he slots it in in London, but I suspect he won't. He's definitely stubborn! But we love that about him. In all honesty, if he picks what he's happy singing on the night then we should definitely respect that.

Oh man, I adore the new tracks and Bonfire of Teenagers is beautifully morose. He's only saying what anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together is thinking. I can't wait for the album release; I really can't.

I think there very well could be a reaction to it when it's being sung in that area by the MSM. I wouldn't expect anything less from them, tbh. Ha ha Haslam! Well, I guess he can try. His idiocy has literally no impact on people who have a mind of their own. So stupid. But piggybacking off genius has always occurred and I fully expect it to continue. I guess the media and people like Haslam have nothing better to write about or do.

I just don't get why you wouldn't just stop listening to him and move on. If you want to quit someone's music that's your prerogative, but why get so involved in trying to make others cease listening to the artist too? It doesn't make sense to me at all. People are such troublemakers.

Yes, it’s crazy how many people - ex-fans & randoms alike - have swallowed the medias lies about who Morrissey is. A few years ago I mentioned Morrissey to a young woman who doesn’t know anything about him & she responded with: “Isn’t he like a racist, or something?” A friend of mine who I took to see Moz play 7 years ago absolutely loved the gig, but in recent years he has left comments on Facebook posts about Morrissey saying things like “Shame he turned into such a massive racist”. Just tonight, I told an Asian friend, & life-long Smiths fan, that I’d managed to get a ticket to see Moz & he replied by saying “I’ve divorced Morrissey but got custody of Johnny Marr”

It’s all so sadly predictable. None of these people follow Morrissey or read anything he says. They just blindly follow what click-bait headlines have told them as they scroll through social media.

Oh well, their loss, I say.

I’m happy going to see Morrissey alone. It seems fitting. I’ll be so focussed on him, his words, his voice, that I’ll be lost in enjoying the moment, not wishing that I had a friend standing beside me.

I’m not too surprised that he hasn’t sung The Queen is Dead on this tour. It would be too obvious, perhaps. He’s made it clear throughout his life how he feels about the monarchy; to gloat over the death of the Queen would be unnecessary. Or maybe he’s just waiting to sing it in London?

Anyway, I’d be surprised if he has chosen to omit the song from his repertoire for fear of a negative response; he’s too much of a stubborn punk for that. As he’s said before: he simply sings the songs he feels like singing, & that’s all we can expect or ask for.

On the topic of him singing controversial songs on this tour, he’s singing Bonfire of Teenagers - which grows on me with every listen - & I’m half-expecting there to be some negative reaction to it when he sings it in Manchester this week. I’m actually surprised that that creep, Haslam (?), hasn’t raised his attention-seeking head already, attempting to cancel Moz’s homecoming gig.

Must admit, I was really hoping he’d be opening every show of his u.k tour with The Queen Is Dead, as he did the last time I saw him play in 2015; it was a fantastic blast of an opening song.
It really is a great song to open with, he has when I've seen him before

Well, that was a thing of enormous beauty!

When he played Glasgow in 2018, the set was a tad shy of classics. The set was mainly based around the World Peace and High School albums, with just three Smiths songs. No worries about that tonight though. Despite the smattering of new songs, there were plenty Smiths tracks, solo classics and deep cuts.
Annoyingly the gig was all seated(what lunatic thought that up?!), but the crowd was VERY appreciative and very vocal. I loved the booing when Morrissey presaged Bonfire Of Teenagers by saying "This is a song about modern England...(boooooo!!!!)....we'll I'm going to sing it anyway!"
The new songs sounded fantastic( I don't care what other members say about them on here, they genuinely sounded wonderful), and were applauded by the crowd more enthusiastically than tracks from Low In High School were 4 years ago. Bonfire, Rebels Without Applause, and Sure Enough The Telephone Rings in particular, really stood out for me. Can't wait to hear the proper versions.

Among the rest of the set, it was very special to hear Frankly Mr Shankly live for the first time since the Edinburgh Playhouse 1985, First Of The Gang To Die is ALWAYS a stormer, How Soon Is Now was a majestical opener, Never Had No-one Ever was stunning, My Hurling Days Are Over was an unexpected highlight and what can you say about hearing Half A Person in the flesh?

Were there any negatives? Did we really need Knockabout World when there's so many bona fide classics in the body of work? The opening film show, and the backdrop images seemed a little uninspired(maybe a little too much NY Dolls and Coronation Street) compared to previous years. And bouncers behaving like thugs...come on guys, lighten up, it's a f*cking Morrissey concert! People are supposed to get on the stage!!

Before Irish Blood English Heart, Morrissey thanked the city of Glasgow for all the love and support they had given him over the years. Was this a last goodbye? Was he giving us the Glasgow Kiss-off? If so, then it was an absolute pleasure to have been once again in his presence, whether it's the last time ot not.

Thanks Mozzer, another blinder!!

Gordon xx
i thought i was the only gordy on here.

glad to hear your troubles are over,enjoy.

What a night. Probably seen Morrissey 32-35 times and 14 or so in Scotland but that was my favourite one.
The set list was impeccable.' The Loop' the highlight for me.
I hate all seated venues in general but everyone in The Stalls stood as soon as he came on stage and stayed that way. I had a great view in Row Z and sang my heart out . It was bliss.
His voice has never been better and I really loved the new songs as well.

The crowd were really up for it . Never got near the Merch stall as too busy. Must have been virtually a sell out and I admit I well upped when he thanked the Scottish fans for sticking by him.

To top it all I bumped into my big sister who I hadn't seen for 3 years !

Also what a difference having Alain Whyte back, The sound was much beefier and he looked so happy throughout.

In recent years it had looked to me that Boz was going through the motions.

Possibly the best Moz band line up I have seen.

One of my favourites, hope he does it in Mancheter along wit a surprise or two for his hometown gig.
Possibly the one I’m looking forward to most. It’s slightly sad that Dog—his best album this century I’d say—passed under the radar of most.

Knockabout World is probably the outstanding track on an outstanding LP.

Well...that was utterly amazing.

Moz said, towards the end, "From the bottom of my Gorbals, I thank you for all the years of support" or something like that.

Earlier: "The last time I played in this city, the newspapers said half of the audience walked out. The things I have to put up with..."

I might be paraphrasing
Tremendously exciting show; I've been seeing him for thirty years now, unbelievably.

Back
Top Bottom