Glasgow - SEC Armadillo (Oct. 2, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Billy Budd / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / I Am Veronica / Rebels Without Applause / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / (Auld Lang Syne intro) Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / The Loop / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of 'Grant Halliday' & anon. (order not 100%)

Last edited:
There's a slight discrepancy in the setlist above, I don't know how much it matters to people, but I Am Veronica was NOT played where it says. He went straight from Telephone into Rebels then Shankly.
Veronica was played later in the set, but due to the dizzying effects of cider, I can't remember exactly where. I think between EDILS and Never Had No-one Ever. Maybe someone more clear minded can validate this.
The song list is 100% correct otherwise 😎👍

People dissatisfied with the service are welcome to look elsewhere for information.
Socials are dry. Much akin to shouting at the postman when you don't get any mail - a bit daft is it not?
FWD.

Especially if he's bringing a bill. They always manage to scrooge an electricity bill into the box around Christmas Eve. Useless dog only licks him.

That's depressing.

Yeh.

I mean, I have bits of both of his shirts from the first time I saw him at The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago in 1991 (one of which is the shirt he’s wearing on the cover of the You’re the One For Me, Fatty single, as the photo was taken at that gig) but I was 16 then & I’m 47 now; the thought of fighting strangers for a shred of a singers sweaty shirt just seems undignified.

(Now watch me end up on one of SER’s videos, scrapping with a horde of possessed fanatics over Moz’s blouse in Birmingham this Wednesday night…)

Well, that was a thing of enormous beauty!

When he played Glasgow in 2018, the set was a tad shy of classics. The set was mainly based around the World Peace and High School albums, with just three Smiths songs. No worries about that tonight though. Despite the smattering of new songs, there were plenty Smiths tracks, solo classics and deep cuts.
Annoyingly the gig was all seated(what lunatic thought that up?!), but the crowd was VERY appreciative and very vocal. I loved the booing when Morrissey presaged Bonfire Of Teenagers by saying "This is a song about modern England...(boooooo!!!!)....we'll I'm going to sing it anyway!"
The new songs sounded fantastic( I don't care what other members say about them on here, they genuinely sounded wonderful), and were applauded by the crowd more enthusiastically than tracks from Low In High School were 4 years ago. Bonfire, Rebels Without Applause, and Sure Enough The Telephone Rings in particular, really stood out for me. Can't wait to hear the proper versions.

Among the rest of the set, it was very special to hear Frankly Mr Shankly live for the first time since the Edinburgh Playhouse 1985, First Of The Gang To Die is ALWAYS a stormer, How Soon Is Now was a majestical opener, Never Had No-one Ever was stunning, My Hurling Days Are Over was an unexpected highlight and what can you say about hearing Half A Person in the flesh?

Were there any negatives? Did we really need Knockabout World when there's so many bona fide classics in the body of work? The opening film show, and the backdrop images seemed a little uninspired(maybe a little too much NY Dolls and Coronation Street) compared to previous years. And bouncers behaving like thugs...come on guys, lighten up, it's a f*cking Morrissey concert! People are supposed to get on the stage!!

Before Irish Blood English Heart, Morrissey thanked the city of Glasgow for all the love and support they had given him over the years. Was this a last goodbye? Was he giving us the Glasgow Kiss-off? If so, then it was an absolute pleasure to have been once again in his presence, whether it's the last time ot not.

Thanks Mozzer, another blinder!!

Gordon xx
I agree 100%

Great songs that spanned his entire solo recordings, the yet-to-be-released songs sounded really good, and Smiths classics as well. What more could you ask for?
The only negative was that it's a seated venue, but you can't really do much about that, and the thug security - Morrissey needs to sort this element out himself.
Viva Morrissey!

Some media coverage...

(review for subscribers)

(nice pics for everyone)

One of the weirder parts of the night was at the beginning, when all the Barrier Crew leapt out of their seats to get a space, but were too early so security began moving them back into their seats again. I saw one woman - a grown woman - literally stamp her feet, clench her fists and start crying. It was genuinely a pathetic sight.

Other than that, the band played the best I have ever heard a Morrissey band play live, the set list was almost perfect (not keen on Knockabout World or BoT). Will sift through my photos and videos later and post anything decent.

Times review minus pay wall nonsense:

★★★★☆
He opened with How Soon Is Now? and it was wonderful, but is being wonderful enough? Morrissey, now 63, has long been a divisive figure. However, more recent public statements, including his support of the far-right political party For Britain, have made it difficult for some fans to continue to follow and enjoy his work. To attend a concert is to ask oneself: am I, with my presence and money, condoning his views? I would not buy his new music, but I listen to the old records with pleasure. I know people who do not have even that consolation. The Smiths, for them, are soured.
Clearly, not everyone is troubled by such quandaries. Indeed, it may be that a feeling of being embattled has intensified the devotion of his base. The stampede for the stage that preceded Irish Blood, English Heart — many fans rushing past security, others leaping from chair back to chair back — suggested as much, as did the congregational singing of Everyday Is Like Sunday.
In theory, these are wilderness years. Morrissey is without a label. His 14th solo album has been recorded but remains unreleased. He is playing venues smaller than one might expect for an artist of his stature. Yet a me-against-the-world spirit has always been part of his energy and appeal. And these midsized halls suit a performer whose impact depends a great deal on intimacy with the audience, emotional and physical. He said as much to the Glasgow crowd. “For me, it’s great to be grabbed by the Gorbals.”
He was in fine voice. But the song he performed most beautifully was the one with the ugliest lyrics. Bonfire of Teenagers, about the Manchester Arena bombing, appears to criticise those Mancunians who gathered in St Ann’s Square and broke into a spontaneous rendition of Oasis’s Don’t Look Back in Anger. That emotion, anger, is what Morrissey will feel until his death, he sang — a sentiment that prompted scattered applause and cheers. How will the song be received when the tour reaches Manchester on Tuesday?
Many a Morrissey show over the years has been let down by lumpen playing. Not now. The present line-up, which includes the return of his writing partner Alain Whyte, demonstrated attack and finesse, from the prayerful delicacy of Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want to the rockier demands of First of the Gang to Die.
The evening ended with Morrissey stripped to the waist, silver cross glinting on his chest. He threw his shirt (Gucci) into the crowd, and they were still tussling over that shredded relic as the house lights came up.
Touring to October 14

Morrissey review — in the wilderness, and in fine voice

FWD.

★★★★☆
He opened with How Soon Is Now? and it was wonderful, but is being wonderful enough? Morrissey, now 63, has long been a divisive figure. However, more recent public statements, including his support of the far-right political party For Britain, have made it difficult for some fans to continue to follow and enjoy his work. To attend a concert is to ask oneself: am I, with my presence and money, condoning his views? I would not buy his new music, but I listen to the old records with pleasure. I know people who do not have even that consolation. The Smiths, for them, are soured.
Clearly, not everyone is troubled by such quandaries. Indeed, it may be that a feeling of being embattled has intensified the devotion of his base. The stampede for the stage that preceded Irish Blood, English Heart — many fans rushing past security, others leaping from chair back to chair back — suggested as much, as did the congregational singing of Everyday Is Like Sunday.
In theory, these are wilderness years. Morrissey is without a label. His 14th solo album has been recorded but remains unreleased. He is playing venues smaller than one might expect for an artist of his stature. Yet a me-against-the-world spirit has always been part of his energy and appeal. And these midsized halls suit a performer whose impact depends a great deal on intimacy with the audience, emotional and physical. He said as much to the Glasgow crowd. “For me, it’s great to be grabbed by the Gorbals.”
He was in fine voice. But the song he performed most beautifully was the one with the ugliest lyrics. Bonfire of Teenagers, about the Manchester Arena bombing, appears to criticise those Mancunians who gathered in St Ann’s Square and broke into a spontaneous rendition of Oasis’s Don’t Look Back in Anger. That emotion, anger, is what Morrissey will feel until his death, he sang — a sentiment that prompted scattered applause and cheers. How will the song be received when the tour reaches Manchester on Tuesday?
Many a Morrissey show over the years has been let down by lumpen playing. Not now. The present line-up, which includes the return of his writing partner Alain Whyte, demonstrated attack and finesse, from the prayerful delicacy of Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want to the rockier demands of First of the Gang to Die.
The evening ended with Morrissey stripped to the waist, silver cross glinting on his chest. He threw his shirt (Gucci) into the crowd, and they were still tussling over that shredded relic as the house lights came up.
Touring to October 14

FWD.
Is the ‘for Britain’ stuff still recent then? Blimey

Very good gig. I enjoyed most of the new songs. Band good, lights and visuals good. For me though, the security spoiled the concert totally. The atmosphere was pretty flat in that respect. Not attempts on stage as we were "all tied to our seats" as Morrissey acknowledged. (I think I got this right).

Is there a list of the backdrop stars anywhere? A couple I didn't recognise.

He also called out one of the Scottish chip wrappers for their poor reporting of the "half the audience walked out" last time he played Scotland. I assumed it was the record.

Very good gig. I enjoyed most of the new songs. Band good, lights and visuals good. For me though, the security spoiled the concert totally. The atmosphere was pretty flat in that respect. Not attempts on stage as we were "all tied to our seats" as Morrissey acknowledged. (I think I got this right).

Is there a list of the backdrop stars anywhere? A couple I didn't recognise.

He also called out one of the Scottish chip wrappers for their poor reporting of the "half the audience walked out" last time he played Scotland. I assumed it was the record.
The backdrop information:

By person/film etc, not by date currently - so some searching will be required.
Regards,
FWD.

Any chance of a bootleg appearing from this gig do we think?

glad to hear your troubles are over,enjoy.

I'm praying they are! I'm just trying not to remind myself that everything is pretty much outside our control in life whether we like to think so or not.

Thank you! I certainly will enjoy! I hope this is the first of many M gigs I go to.

I personally think this is ticking along nicely. I think the Manchester and London shows will be great fun, just like the Vegas ones- I went to three of them, and each one was fab
I think M is doing just the right thing. A few of us have said, all he has to do is keep his mouth shut for a while and put in the work-actually do what he does best, be Morrissey and put on a good show, and things will turn around
I'm not saying he gets advice from solo but he seems to be doing that. Earlier in the year a few of us moaned, that he has let himself get stale and just faxes shows in, at times. No movement. So Different from the old days. Not sure if word got back to him but from the very first show, since we made those comments, he has been like a fecking blue arse fly
I would suggest, he now tweak the songs for the gigs, if he doesn't its not a big deal .
I can't f***ing wait til Manchester and London

Peace out

Some media coverage...

(review for subscribers)

(nice pics for everyone)
Yes, very nice

★★★★☆
He was in fine voice. But the song he performed most beautifully was the one with the ugliest lyrics. Bonfire of Teenagers, about the Manchester Arena bombing,

appears to criticise those Mancunians who gathered in St Ann’s Square and broke into a spontaneous rendition of Oasis’s Don’t Look Back in Anger.

I didn’t see people ‘sing and sway’ in the St Ann’s video coverage.

I believe Morrissey more likely wrote the song after seeing this event where people ‘mourners’ are singing and swaying …

That emotion, anger, is what Morrissey will feel until his death, he sang — a sentiment that prompted scattered applause and cheers.
and rightly so.
How will the song be received when the tour reaches Manchester on Tuesday?
Touring to October 14

FWD.

I didn’t see people ‘sing and sway’ in the St Ann’s video coverage.

I believe Morrissey more likely wrote the song after seeing this event where people ‘mourners’ are singing and swaying …

and rightly so.

Looks awful. But it’s their gig to ruin their own way.

I was worried I'd miss Boz, but Alain really was great.

Any ideas what Moz meant by greeting us with, "Baa...baa...and, furthermore...baa!" directly before How Soon is Now? I'm sure that's what he said...

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Billy Budd / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / I Am Veronica / Rebels Without Applause / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / (Auld Lang Syne intro) Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / The Loop / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of 'Grant Halliday' & anon. (order not 100%)

Moz is in the form of his life. The Butchers and other pond creatures must be gutted. I'm drinking K cider as a warm up to Birmingham (I know where I came from, I know where I'm going, and I know where I belong...." Good Times. Viva England. Viva Moz.

Back
Top Bottom