Given the choice, you wou prefer FLAC or MP3 downloads?

What's your preferred download format?

• Total voters
What's your preference, all things being equal? I prefer MP3s myself (192kbps is OK), and I suspect from all the FLAC-related questions this week that most people simply want to convert the FLAC downloads to MP3 anyway.

I would prefer FLAC if I had the stuff to get something out of it, .AAC and iTunes is shit (128kbps if I remember correctly), however it would make Erich Mielke cry of joy. .wma is equally worthless but atleast you don't have anything to do with iTunes.

So in the end it's probably .mp3 with a decent bit rate (192 kbps as you say) who is preferable. But when I finally have graduated from university and everything I will get something that makes FLAC worth the trouble:).

I did a brief side-by-side comparison of the Saturday show in AIFF and 192kbps MP3, and the differences were extremely minimal. There's a bigger difference for studio recordings, but to my untrained ear, 192kbps MP3 for live audience recordings is quite sufficient. Some of the shows that I've downloaded as 128 MP3s are shitty, though, so I've sought those out on smithstorrents just so that I can get a higher-quality conversion.

I did a brief side-by-side comparison of the Saturday show in AIFF and 192kbps MP3, and the differences were extremely minimal. There's a bigger difference for studio recordings, but to my untrained ear, 192kbps MP3 for live audience recordings is quite sufficient. Some of the shows that I've downloaded as 128 MP3s are shitty, though, so I've sought those out on smithstorrents just so that I can get a higher-quality conversion.

128 kbps is what you'll get if you buy from iTunes:).

I prefer FLAC for soundboard recordings and mp3 for audience recordings. In spite of all the efforts from the tapers, I really find no difference between an mp3 and a flac file being an audience recording.

No comment....

I just like HAVING the choice :D

I will take either Flac or Mp3, but like SNS22 I like having the option of either. If Mp3 then a good bitrate is a plus, usually 192-320kbps is a good choice.

I prefer flac. Listening to flac files using VLC on headphones gives me the best sound. Much more three dimensional. Unfortunately, flacs files can't be downloaded onto ipods, etc. So I use Xact to decode the files to AIFF and import to iTunes. Then convert to mp3s. A bit of work but it's alright. But I definately want flac files first and foremost. Full strength from the source and then let me dilute at will.:)

MP3 is easier than flac for me, since I need to convert the flac to mp3. But for a good show, mp3 or flac, doesn't matter!!!:rolleyes:

Can anyone give me the full rundown on what the difference between all these file types and bit rates mean :p

Back
Top Bottom