'Girl least likely to' inspiration

VivaHollandia

I have heard rumours about a song by a girlgroup (the cookies?) which is almost identical to Girl Least Likely To. Is there someone who knows more about this, and has this song to share it?

Last edited:
Re: The REAL Girl Least Likely To

according to Mozipedia it's the song 'Only To Other people' from The Cookies.
Unfortunately I don't have it / haven't found it on the internets

Re: The 'real' Girl Least Likely To

I want a boy for my birthday?..Sorry I can't do uploading.

Last edited:
For your interest

*sulks*

You haven't looked 'bootlegs / downloads site directory' thread on top of the forum.

Eternal thanks to hool' who uploaded the most impassionate songs where you can download original songs covered by Morrissey.

Re: For your interest

Thank you all for your responses. Kewpie, after hearing the 'I want a boy for my birthday'-song, I think I am referring to the song Maynardmorrissey mentioned, 'Only to other people'. This one is not on that list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Girl Least Likely To has almost 100% the same melody line, and sometimes even the same lyrics on the same places in the song. I still would very much like to hear that song.

Re: For your interest

Thank you all for your responses. Kewpie, after hearing the 'I want a boy for my birthday'-song, I think I am referring to the song Maynardmorrissey mentioned, 'Only to other people'. This one is not on that list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Girl Least Likely To has almost 100% the same melody line, and sometimes even the same lyrics on the same places in the song. I still would very much like to hear that song.

Sadly I do not have the song to upload (the Cookies material is seemingly hard to get a hold of!) However, I came across this website, if you click "prelisten track" you can listen to most of the song for nothing:

http://ligamusic.com/Lyrics/7668956...te_Cookies/Only_To_Other_People/download-mp3/

I remember sitting in Mono in Glasgow when this song came on, that was the only time I ever heard it. The Cookies are fantastic though, I Want A Boy For My Birthday is fab, also check out "I Never Dreamed" :thumb:

Re: The real girl least likely to

Thank you.
From Cookies I only knew "I want to a boy...". Great find.
M's song has many resemblances with Cookies'.

Last edited:
I just heard this song recently. WAY too similar in tune/construction, and to a lesser extent lyrics, for it to be coincidental.
It can be found on the 'One Kiss Can Lead to Another' girl group compilation box set, btw.

More interestingly, who was 'Girl Least Likely to' written about? I read somewhere it was supposedly about that girl from the South Bank Show Smiths-documentary...

This is one of my top 5 favorite Morrissey songs. I think Andy was given writing credit. It is scarily similar. Does anyone know the story of the relationship between the 2 songs?

i found the interpretion of the song from this guy quite interesting
Girl Least Likely To' B-side to 'November Spawned A Monster' (1990)

One of the most intriguing and significant ‘lost’ songs of Morrissey's solo work, the backing track came courtesy of ex-Smiths bass player Andy Rourke and bears more than a passing similarity to Morrissey and Marr favourites 60’s American R&B girl group The Cookies' and their track, 'Only To Other People'.

Furthermore, Morrissey sings in a clearly autobiographical nature about himself – although via a female protagonist - about his early days as an aspiring writer grappling with doubt, yearning for vindication and showing the well-documented signs of nearly giving up before Johnny came a-knockin’.

He sings of living "for the written word [where] people come second, or possibly third" and questions “somebody's got to make it!... So why, why can't it be me?" clearly so heavily reminiscent of early Smiths material that it seems such a shame that he and Rourke weren’t able to expand their collaboration past just a few songs (one of which was also the fabulous 'Yes I Am Blind').
out of
http://thequietus.com/articles/03808-morrissey-maudlin-treats-from-beyond-the-hits

DSCN0114.jpg

I Never Dreamed is one of my top five songs ever, easily.

Last edited:
Do you think Panic is like His lastest flame?

What Boy About Town means is that 'Marie' is very similar to 'Rusholme Ruffians' the same way 'Metal Guru' is like 'Panic'. Like they said, it's fairly common knowledge that these songs took musical inspiration from these other songs. Doesn't mean everybody knows and I'm not trying to sound like a snob.

Back
Top Bottom