Gig Going Advice

Dupree

Tharr she blows!
Hello friends

G-MEX has got me (along with everyone else it would seem) very excited. A little too excited maybe, I seem to have lost the plot some what and need your calmest heads to help.

Firstly, do I go to both shows? I have consulted both my online and physical magic eight ball and they say 'never been more certain' and 'outlook so so' respectively. I'm wholeheartedly up for it but I do think it would be a little unfair on the poor soul that I drag along with me - they have said they really don't mind and I will, of course, pay for their tickets.

I have always erred on the irrational, impractical and frivolous side, reasoning that I should do what I want because I am a teenager (but only for five more days) with spare cash and little responsibilities. All the 'I wish I'd done it when I was younger...'ing that I have experienced from others has left me with an 'aw, f*** it' attitude to reaching for new opportunities. I like to call it 'carpe dieming it'. So when I have £40 in my bank account and a £100 phone bill and Fratellis tickets go on sale, I carpe diem it and buy the tickets. This is also my reasoning for going out to gigs and then crawling into work with slits for eyes. Burning the candle at both ends, I reason, is acceptable when you are young because you have the energy to make up for it. You only live once etc...

So, my impulsive nature is screaming out to buy tickets for both nights. I mean, it's bloody Moz!! I jump through numerous hoops to simply see tribute bands. This is The Smyths times 1,000,000! (I've seen Moz before, but still...).

But then I think, hang on, stop being greedy. One night is enough. You're not thinking of the poor sod that has to go with you and that doesn't even like Morrissey. If you go to Saturday as well as Friday you're gonna have to stay over and you'll end up coming home on Christmas Eve, that's hardly fair on his family. How would you like it if you were forced to go to UB40 gigs on two consecutive nights (not, by the way, his favourite band).

But then the insatiable, non-thinking, Moz-loving side of me says 'but this is different! This is special! This is Moz! Moz surpasses all things'.

Oh I don't know what to do!

Also, second subject that I seek advice upon: queuing. When I saw Moz at Portsmouth I strolled in a little after doors and was able to just walk right up to the barrier. Obviously G-MEX is hella huge compared to the shiddy lil P'mouth Guildhall so I don't expect this to happen. What time should I start queuing from to get to the barrier? I've heard up north (I'm from Southampton!) is freezing too, so Manchester in December is going to be like a polar expedition for me...the only problem is, I don't really want to lug about a coat inside. I'm thinking if I get to the barrier it'll be okay because I can stuff my coat the other side. What do you hardened northern warriors usually do with your coats and stuff? I know it's a trivial question but it's really bugging me. I don't normally wear coats to gigs because I can't be arsed to carry stuff and I have never really queued before.

Thanks for taking the time to read my big-ass post and I appreciate your help! :D

P.S. Hey-hey to all the people who said 'Dupree! You're Back' :) I missed you guys! Living in the real world isn't that much fun.

Last edited:
If you can do it, do it. Once might be enough but you won't know until the second night. It's nice that you don't want to affect Christmas Eve for his family. That's the only reason I could see to go once. But you're a teenager for god's sake, for at least a few more days. You'll have lots more Christmas Eve's to ruin or not.

My only advice to you comes in the form of a story, and it's kind of an over dramatic bummer:

Way back in 1993 before there were personalized ring tones and Coke Zero, I was already not a teenager but very low on cash. A Nirvana show was announced for Thanksgiving weekend, and I didn't want to ruin everyone's big holiday by being away for a whole day. I also didn't want to spend my Christmas present budget on a fling. So, I missed the show, telling myself, "I'll go nextime." There was no next time: in April 1994 while I was sitting in a Toyota dealership arguing with a man over a Corolla, I heard a deejay announce that Kurt Cobain had been found dead.

If you can go to both, DO IT! :D

I heard a deejay announce that Kurt Cobain had been found dead.

If you can go to both, DO IT! :D

See this was my reasoning for buying hideously over-price tickets off Fleabay for the Portsmouth gig. I kept going 'what if he dies? What if he dies?!' to anyone who questioned my money spending. A terrible thing to say I know but it was a genuine fear of mine.

Every part of me is bursting to go for both nights but it's Dan I'm worried about. I don't want to take the piss by making him go to both gigs when he doesn't really even like Moz. It's probably quite hard for him to get just how big a deal this is as well - he's probably just seeing me Moz-obsess like usual. He's said that he thinks it would be better to go for just the one night but that he knows if we do I will be miserable for days pining over the fact I missed the other night, which is entirely true. I just wish I didn't feel so guilty!!

Go to both gigs. I made a mistake this year by going only to one and missing on other two that were held nearby and trust me, that still haunts me and makes me feel bad. I'm sure your companion would understand - it's either him being miserable for a bit more than an hour or you being miserable for months. If he cares about you enough he won't put an equasion between those two! Making you happy is much more important :D

You can always make some sort of deal with him - maybe if you say, "I will take to my bed and weep for days if I don't go to both shows, but I don't want you to have to suffer for my enjoyment because that will diminish the fun. How can we work this out?" Maybe if you go somewhere with him that you're not thrilled about, or think of some silly bribe that will keep him in good humor?? Let me know how it goes!

or think of some silly bribe that will keep him in good humor??

I did say to him, as he wasn't too keen on the idea of being at the front with the Moz-worshippers, that we should either go to one show and be adamant on getting to the barrier or go to both shows and stand somewhere in the middle. I thought that was a fair deal?

But that idea went out the window when in the pub this evening we had a fairly serious discussion about going to both nights. Our final decision was to ask the eight ball. I said I didn't care what it said I still wanted to go to both. ;)

I did say to him, as he wasn't too keen on the idea of being at the front with the Moz-worshippers, that we should either go to one show and be adamant on getting to the barrier or go to both shows and stand somewhere in the middle. I thought that was a fair deal?

But that idea went out the window when in the pub this evening we had a fairly serious discussion about going to both nights. Our final decision was to ask the eight ball. I said I didn't care what it said I still wanted to go to both. ;)

Do they make bent eight balls where every response is "ABSOLUTELY!"? I can imagine they'd do well...:)

Well, it seems to have been resolved: Dan says I should buy what I can afford and seeing as I get paid on 13 Oct, that means both nights!! Hooray! =)

Bless him, he does put up with a lot doesn't he? :)

Last edited:
Good choice, Dupree. And make sure you'll reward Dan for the effort ;)

Yeah, I will do! He was at the front of the Smyths with me the other weekend while I was dancing like a maniac tanked up on vodka redbulls. I think he had a good time. Hehe

He's crazy about Morris Minors and next week there's some big rally where everyone meets up and talks about cars for hours...so that'll be part way to getting the balance back. (Dan has a convertible moggie, which is constantly breaking down. The rally is about 5 hours long and I have a small bladder. I have some serious concerns about the whole thing.)

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should make it up to him? Anything a bit special in Manchester I can surprise him with while we're there?

Back
Top Bottom