Gibson's Top 50 Front People Evah: Morrissey comes 36

G

goinghome

"Gibson.com’s Top 50 Frontmen (and Frontwomen) of All Time – 40-31
One of rock and roll’s smartest scribes once wrote, “It’s the singer not the song that makes the music move along.” How true. The frontman or frontwoman is the figurehead for the band, connecting the noise on stage with the crowds below. Whether it’s the result of vocal greatness, a cool look, insane dancing ability or just out-and-out charisma, the best frontmen enhance the music with their performances (while sometimes turning their bandmates into the “out of focus guys,” to quote Almost Famous). When you watch a great frontman, you simply can’t turn away.

In tribute to these legendary performers, Gibson.com is counting down the Top 50 Frontmen (and Frontwomen) of All Time – as voted on by the Gibson editorial and writing staff, some all-star musicians and most importantly, you, the readers. We’ve already unveiled #50-#41. Check back each day this week, as we place 10 more frontmen on their pedestals every morning. And make sure you log on to Gibson.com on Friday, when the Top 10 Frontmen (and Frontwomen) of All Time are revealed!...

...36 - Quite possibly the foremost pioneer of the indie music genre, Morrissey spent most of the ’80s drafting morose and beautiful songs as frontman for The Smiths. After the dynamic between Smiths members grew contentious, the Englishman went solo in 1987. In 2004, he released a comeback album, You are the Quarry, which sold better than any of his previous solo efforts, or any prior Smiths album. He is moody and he is controversial, but Morrissey arouses fierce loyalty amongst his legion of fans. – Ellen Barnes..."
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/top-50-frontpersons-0824/

:D That's cool.

When one seens Liam Wanker and Michael Stripe coming above Morrissey it's obvious one has to avoid such 'charts'.

I just liked that he's 36. :blushing:

Liszt! I love Liszt!

18268_Liszt-Franz.jpg

:lbf:

"Hello? Is someone going to answer the f***ing door?"

I'm not sure, but I think Liszt comes in at #14 on the list of "Top 50 Classical Composers".

Franz Liszt was this Hungarian-born composer guy who did all kinds of amazing things with orchestras and symphonies and local barbershop quartets. He is well-known for his totally radical departures in harmony. Piano players have been tickling the ivories in his shadow since his death in 1886. That was a long time ago! My editor says I have to turn this in now. Key works: Track 1, Track 6, Track 11; CD2: Track 15, Track 22.

Good show, Franz!

Back
Top Bottom