Getting Old: Discuss

cool. it helps sometimes when i get frustrated by my expectations of things as sometimes theyre not justified and i shouldnt have them. especially when i think of myself in my twenties. also helps with what pop culture references to throw out. having a good day charlie. its so cold here i think ill be cooped up most of the day

cool. it helps sometimes when i get frustrated by my expectations of things as sometimes theyre not justified and i shouldnt have them. especially when i think of myself in my twenties. also helps with what pop culture references to throw out. having a good day charlie. its so cold here i think ill be cooped up most of the day

Where are you? In the US?

Over here it's been a pretty mild winter. It snowed a couple of weeks ago but we were out of the country. My kids were furious. I was a bit too, I'm not too old for sledging.

Where are you? In the US?

Over here it's been a pretty mild winter. It snowed a couple of weeks ago but we were out of the country. My kids were furious. I was a bit too, I'm not too old for sledging.

my name is bryan and i live in baltimore city, maryland. yeah i agree that thus far it was very mild and almost unusually warm. then it snowed and its been below freezing ever since. the water being so close im sure makes it a bit colder for us. im hearing a lot here about local places trying to ban sledding due to injury and im guessing lawsuits so who knows if youd have been given the chance either way. i do enjoy sledding though for as long as i can stand it out in the snow. its not like i hate it all together, i just dont do well in it. my bronchial spams will come quickly and hit hard. if you want a photo ill post one but i dont do social media or anything, i use my wifes occasionally, so i dont have a link to give you or a profile or anything already made up

my name is bryan and i live in baltimore city, maryland. yeah i agree that thus far it was very mild and almost unusually warm. then it snowed and its been below freezing ever since. the water being so close im sure makes it a bit colder for us. im hearing a lot here about local places trying to ban sledding due to injury and im guessing lawsuits so who knows if youd have been given the chance either way. i do enjoy sledding though for as long as i can stand it out in the snow. its not like i hate it all together, i just dont do well in it. my bronchial spams will come quickly and hit hard. if you want a photo ill post one but i dont do social media or anything, i use my wifes occasionally, so i dont have a link to give you or a profile or anything already made up

You sound as technically proficient as me!

I'm lucky enough that one of my kids is a lazy arse so he's demanding to go home before anything gets too tiresome.

My neck is starting to do bizarre things. I might be a candidate for a lifestyle lift one of these days, I look like I'm wearing a skin necklace. :squiffy: Maybe in the distance my soulmate is uncircumcised and it's a sign...:D

16253199187_289c132849_b.jpg

15819070773_b016121ee3_b.jpg

I'm 31 and I was very upset when I turned 30. But there's so many amazing people who are older (Moz for one) that I look at them and think "Well if they can do it, so can I"

I definitely find it harder to suffer fools the older I get, the does Morrissey eat cheese conversation on another thread would have passed me by I may even have been understanding of the interest of to vegan or not vegan, but now I just find myself getting annoyed by it, cheese? there was some bollox on there about chocolate I mean shit why could anyone give a shit? why are they not embarrased to ask?

I definitely find it harder to suffer fools the older I get, the does Morrissey eat cheese conversation on another thread would have passed me by I may even have been understanding of the interest of to vegan or not vegan, but now I just find myself getting annoyed by it, cheese? there was some bollox on there about chocolate I mean shit why could anyone give a shit? why are they not embarrased to ask?

its not about what he eats but rather is he honest or at least thats what i think its about. how old is the average person here, im curious. im 34 myself but i was born an old man.

a paragraph on old age and aging from my most recent amis novel the pregnant widow

"the way it goes. in your mid-forties you have your first crisis of mortality (death will not ignore me; and ten years later you have your first crisis of age (my body whispers that death is already interested in me). but something very interesting happens to you in between. as the fiftieth birthday approaches, you get the sense that your life is thinning out, and will continue to thin out, until it thins out to nothing. and sometimes you say to yourself: that went a bit quick, that went a bit quick. in certain moods you may want to put it rather more forcefully. as in OY!! THAT went a BIT f***ING QUICK!!!...then fifty comes and goes, and fifty-one, and fifty-two. and life thickens out again. because there is now am enormous and unsuspected presence within your being, like an undiscovered continent. this is the past,"

I'm 40 next week. For some reason I decided to smile really intently into the mirror a couple of days ago and it looked like my eyes had caved into my face! I've been really ill recently though, so that might be it. Yeah, that really must be probably it.

I think 40 is the age when "curmudgeon" officially sets in. I find myself getting outraged at the stupidest stuff. The other day I filed a complaint with the health department because a local grocery store had pallets of bottled water stored in front baking in the hot sun for days. Maybe some of those bottles were not BPA-free and were leaching toxins into the water that my fellow neighbors and consumers would buy and get breast cancer from. I wouldn't have done that at 38 or 39. Today I bought these Glue Dots at Wal Mart that promised to be 'Advanced Strength" that would hold up to 8 pounds. It couldn't hold a 5 ounce No Parking sign, much less "repair tile." Will I bother to return these worthless dots I paid $4 for? Probably not. Will I alert the Better Business Bureau to their false advertising and grandiose claims? You bet your sweet ass I will, because now I'm 40 and officially old. :D

16155741086_fdd2c26f1f_b.jpg

40 IS NOT OLD!!! It's just officially NOT YOUNG :D

- - - Updated - - -

a paragraph on old age and aging from my most recent amis novel the pregnant widow

"the way it goes. in your mid-forties you have your first crisis of mortality (death will not ignore me; and ten years later you have your first crisis of age (my body whispers that death is already interested in me). but something very interesting happens to you in between. as the fiftieth birthday approaches, you get the sense that your life is thinning out, and will continue to thin out, until it thins out to nothing. and sometimes you say to yourself: that went a bit quick, that went a bit quick. in certain moods you may want to put it rather more forcefully. as in OY!! THAT went a BIT f***ING QUICK!!!...then fifty comes and goes, and fifty-one, and fifty-two. and life thickens out again. because there is now am enormous and unsuspected presence within your being, like an undiscovered continent. this is the past,"

Thank you for sharing this.

Another new thing is lactose intolerance, literally developed this in the last few weeks. Ice cream and milk used to do nothing to me, now I fart with the collective gusto of a room full of people recovering from colonoscopies.

Pretty sure I'm pissed off all time. Maybe it's retail. Maybe I'm older. Most likely it's New Jersey and every single person who lives here makes me want to drive my car off a bridge.

My husband feels the same way. Maybe we are both angry, intolerant people.

Did you marry that old guy?

Back
Top Bottom