Get off the stage

Agree?

• Total voters
He's been very vague lately, and avoiding describing himself as a vegan. I forget the made-up term he used but it was significantly vaguer, although it seemed clear that he still doesn't eat meat.
Yes, I can't remember either, but it was something akin to when he invented humasexual to avoid being labelled bi/gay (Humavore? :lbf:)

What he said recently is:

Which is the definition of a vegetarian, basically. Dairy and anything to do with clothing notable by its absence.

As he says in the same interview, and as I think is widely documented, he seems not to like his food to have very much in the way of flavour, which possibly does make it more difficult to be vegan. He could afford a personal chef, though. Perhaps he has one. Given that, I can't see what excuse he has. I personally don't demand that he should be a vegan, but it seems clear his commitment to the cause isn't enough to overcome relatively minor hurdles.

Soya and tofu are pretty bland if you don't do anything to give them flavour. As for his "anything that has a mother" thing, it sounds like he's keenly following developments in lab-grown meat, even though that's not really vegetarian because it needs animal stuff to start it off, but that probably wasn't his intention, he probably just wanted people to think "boo hoo, animals have mothers, I neve thought of that, I'm a vegetarian now"

Yes, I can't remember either, but it was something akin to when he invented humasexual to avoid being labelled bi/gay (Humavore? :lbf:)

Reminds me of all the cis people now who are like "don't call me cis, I never said you could call me cis", in exactly the same way as people in the 80s said "don't call me heterosexual, I'm not heterosexual, I'm normal!"

Reminds me of all the cis people now who are like "don't call me cis, I never said you could call me cis", in exactly the same way as people in the 80s said "don't call me heterosexual, I'm not heterosexual, I'm normal!"
God, I'd never even hear of cis, I had to look it up. It seems nobody is happy until they have a category devised just for them - so they can then tell everybody else about it. Everybody must have a label, and everybody has a right to know your label. And woe betide if you get the wrong label - somebody identifies as a poodle, for instance, but you thought they just had an 80s perm.

I had a support organisation come to my house a year or so back. They came three times, and each time they filled out a form, and each time they asked to know my sexual orientation. Was I gay, straight, bisexual, transgender? I asked, is there a box for mind your own business? They said, it's to make sure we're practising equality. I said, how about you don't ask and you just treat everybody the same? There you go - equality! And you haven't paid somebody to do a pointless, intrusive survey. They looked baffled. Strange times we live in.

God, I'd never even hear of cis, I had to look it up. It seems nobody is happy until they have a category devised just for them - so they can then tell everybody else about it. Everybody must have a label, and everybody has a right to know your label. And woe betide if you get the wrong label - somebody identifies as a poodle, for instance, but you thought they just had an 80s perm.

I had a support organisation come to my house a year or so back. They came three times, and each time they filled out a form, and each time they asked to know my sexual orientation. Was I gay, straight, bisexual, transgender? I asked, is there a box for mind your own business? They said, it's to make sure we're practising equality. I said, how about you don't ask and you just treat everybody the same? There you go - equality! And you haven't paid somebody to do a pointless, intrusive survey. They looked baffled. Strange times we live in.

Have you got them to add humasexual to the form yet?

Morrissey has lost touch with ‘normal people’?

Morrissey was never a normal person. He was always different, unique, an outsider, & that’s why we loved him.

The only time he should get off the stage is when he chooses to.

Should we erase all music made by people who slept with underage groupies? If so, there wouldn’t be much left.

Has Morrissey ever done such a thing? No. He asked some questions regarding some accusations of sexual assault against some famous people. Naughty Morrissey! Everybody seems to gloss over the fact that he said that any form of sexual abuse was abhorrent.

Is Morrissey fronting a political party called Kill All Brown People? No!

I’m continually baffled by all the hatred aimed at him. Especially from people who have followed him for years & should have some basic understanding of the man he is.

Are there just a lot of very disatisfied people in the world looking for someone to offload their bile onto?

I wonder what other musicians/artists/writers hold views that aren’t considered acceptable by dullards without the ability of thinking for themselves? But almost everybody holds their cards close to their chest, unlike Morrissey, who has never been afraid to voice his opinions, no matter how unpopular.

Really, we should judge him on his music & his music alone. Short of him blowing up a mosque or being exposed as a serial-nonce.

Give the man a break & try to recall all the pleasure he has brought to so many over the decades.

Or just go listen to Beyoncé or somebody else utterly void of a personality.

Life’s too short to spend on a forum of someone you despise for no real reason.

Unemployed Snowflake terminology:"lost touch with the common people"

TRANSLATION TO NORMAL DECENT LANGUAGE: "GIVE US WEED MONEY MOZ":tiphat:

Morrissey has lost touch with ‘normal people’?

Morrissey was never a normal person. He was always different, unique, an outsider, & that’s why we loved him.

The only time he should get off the stage is when he chooses to.

Should we erase all music made by people who slept with underage groupies? If so, there wouldn’t be much left.

Has Morrissey ever done such a thing? No. He asked some questions regarding some accusations of sexual assault against some famous people. Naughty Morrissey! Everybody seems to gloss over the fact that he said that any form of sexual abuse was abhorrent.

Is Morrissey fronting a political party called Kill All Brown People? No!

I’m continually baffled by all the hatred aimed at him. Especially from people who have followed him for years & should have some basic understanding of the man he is.

Are there just a lot of very disatisfied people in the world looking for someone to offload their bile onto?

I wonder what other musicians/artists/writers hold views that aren’t considered acceptable by dullards without the ability of thinking for themselves? But almost everybody holds their cards close to their chest, unlike Morrissey, who has never been afraid to voice his opinions, no matter how unpopular.

Really, we should judge him on his music & his music alone. Short of him blowing up a mosque or being exposed as a serial-nonce.

Give the man a break & try to recall all the pleasure he has brought to so many over the decades.

Or just go listen to Beyoncé or somebody else utterly void of a personality.

Life’s too short to spend on a forum of someone you despise for no real reason.
It's okay. He'll die after a while and then everyone can go back to listening to him. That's the way that one goes.

What he said recently is:

Which is the definition of a vegetarian, basically. Dairy and anything to do with clothing notable by its absence.

As he says in the same interview, and as I think is widely documented, he seems not to like his food to have very much in the way of flavour, which possibly does make it more difficult to be vegan. He could afford a personal chef, though. Perhaps he has one. Given that, I can't see what excuse he has. I personally don't demand that he should be a vegan, but it seems clear his commitment to the cause isn't enough to overcome relatively minor hurdles.

I don't see that quote as suspect. I think the "vegan" label works well as shorthand, but there's enough controversy over what constitutes "vegan" (and the vegan community can be toxic) that I can't blame him if he wants to avoid it. How sentient are bees? Tilling fields kills mice and moles: is a diet really "guilt free" if it contains soy and grains? When you get down to it, the only diet that doesn't include the death of an animal somehow is the one where you forage for mushrooms, nuts, and fruits in the wild. I think his focus is on the animals that are deliberately bred and kept for slaughter or exploitation, which (unless you opt for suicide) is realistically where you go with your concern.

When he told Larry King he was vegan, he said it was because in the past he wasn't aware of the cruelty inherent in dairy. Implicit in that is that he became aware at some point and began treating dairy like meat. He's a supporter of PETA; he clearly knows about dairy. He can't plead ignorance. And as you say, he could easily afford a personal chef. There's truly no excuse. If he's gone back to consuming dairy, then that would be surprising and extremely disappointing. His committed opposition to animal cruelty does demand veganism, I think. But I don't see a smoking gun here.

TRUTH ;)

I don't see that quote as suspect. I think the "vegan" label works well as shorthand, but there's enough controversy over what constitutes "vegan" (and the vegan community can be toxic) that I can't blame him if he wants to avoid it. How sentient are bees? Tilling fields kills mice and moles: is a diet really "guilt free" if it contains soy and grains? When you get down to it, the only diet that doesn't include the death of an animal somehow is the one where you forage for mushrooms, nuts, and fruits in the wild. I think his focus is on the animals that are deliberately bred and kept for slaughter or exploitation, which (unless you opt for suicide) is realistically where you go with your concern.

When he told Larry King he was vegan, he said it was because in the past he wasn't aware of the cruelty inherent in dairy. Implicit in that is that he became aware at some point and began treating dairy like meat. He's a supporter of PETA; he clearly knows about dairy. He can't plead ignorance. And as you say, he could easily afford a personal chef. There's truly no excuse. If he's gone back to consuming dairy, then that would be surprising and extremely disappointing. His committed opposition to animal cruelty does demand veganism, I think. But I don't see a smoking gun here.

Well, dairy is pretty gross and bad in many regards. I'm not a vegan, but I do avoid excessive dairy. But maybe Morrissey can't resist the odd tub of Häagen-Dazs on a lonely Friday night.

I always felt he had this incredible empathy infected with selfishness. It was something I related to early on. From suffer little children, to How Soon is Now, to November spawned a monster, etc. An incredible empathy towards animals: From Meat is Murder to Ouija Board, he was really pushing this pro animal/anti-human stance. I'm sure many of us early fans, that really got into the lyrics as much as Marr's brilliance, identified with this. It allowed you to justify songs like Bengali as not being anit-immigrant and more, proud English. The nationalistic themes on Your Arsenal were light and coming from the third person. We did not see it as a growing problem. His complete lack of empathy on the Norway attacks was just him pushing the animal rights agenda, inappropriate but it was good to have a champion out there reminding people about animal cruelty.
This empathy translated well with an unexpected new fan base from Latin America.

But his actions and comments from the last two years really baffle me. Was the Morrissey I grew up with the real Morrissey or the one I hear now? Was he always this way and just pretending to show empathy when really he wanted the attention and sympathy? There are people who face "death or leave the country", that come to the US or Europe as refugees and Mr. Empathy supports positions and politicians that would condemn them to death. Did he learn nothing from his Latin fanbase living in LA for so many years? Can he be that dense and out of touch?... or did I read my own feelings into his lyrics? He does not show his empathy equally. From Norway to Manchester, from Bengali to Mexico. It is quite selective.

As it stands, I will be accused of never being a true fan despite following him for over 30 years, countless concerts, knowing every b-side, etc. Meeting him 20 or so years ago, I could barely look him in the eye. However, since 2016 I have slowly been coming around to seeing this growing incarnation of Morrissey that unfortunately grows apart from what I have valued most of my life. Moz refuses to clarify or apologize for anything and blames the interviewer, or editor, or listener, or media for anything ill-received. That position, coupled with his ever growing nationalistic persona, remind me too much of a politician I despise. It saddened me that one of my most cherished parts of my youth was now gone. But life moves on and I have too. I will still check in of course....but I dont know if it is because of nostalgia, or the sick need to look at a car crash.

Social media Fake news - and as they say in the south - don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Well, dairy is pretty gross and bad in many regards. I'm not a vegan, but I do avoid excessive dairy. But maybe Morrissey can't resist the odd tub of Häagen-Dazs on a lonely Friday night.

That may be. But if it's true, then it's no different than him not being able to resist a bacon cheeseburger from time to time. He knows what dairy involves. It's just as much (if not more) death and torture and suffering as meat. This is a man who won't even share a table with someone eating meat. If he's retreated on dairy, then all his self-righteousness goes out the window and he's the world's biggest hypocrite. I don't think he's stopped being vegan. If he has, though, then his critics here are right, and he's gone off the deep end and can't retain a logical consistency anymore.

Social media Fake news - and as they say in the south - don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Again, totally true, rampant fake news. Scammers in the game too, I bet if Moz had donated some bread
to the Ayatollah Al Haslaam-who would have sent the c***s here their cut-nobody would have been harassed and everything would have proceeded in a normal fashion. But the nutjob Snowflakes and their Fake News had to f things up again.:kissingheart:
They have no job so they can loiter all day.:smirk:

Back
Top Bottom