Germaine Greer loves Morrissey, hates Dylan

i think greer may have been biased about the dylan thing. i mean this is germaine greer were talking about here talkin about the notorious mysoginist that is bob dylan. i mean hes really rad in alot of ways and i love some of those records but homeboy had some ISSUES with broads.

I'm sure :he/she/it does. They're probably trying to sell something, so they figure if they mention his name, and their so called "love" for them, that some unsuspecting fans will buy his/her shit thinking they're supposedly "influenced" by him? I dont believe half of the shit these f***in dolts say, theyll say anything to get you to buy their crap.

i think greer may have been biased about the dylan thing. I mean this is germaine greer were talking about here talkin about the notorious mysoginist that is bob dylan. I mean hes really rad in alot of ways and i love some of those records but homeboy had some ISSUES with broads.

Do you have an example of Dylan's misogyny? Certainly there are several songs in his catalogue - some of his most successful - that are critical towards a woman (not all women) such as "Positively 4th Street" and "Like a Rolling Stone". But I sort of interpreted those as "Bob keeps going after rich, snooty women that reject him and/or that he secretly feels he's unworthy of". He grew out of it. You could argue that he has old-fashioned ideas about male and female roles, but that doesn't necessarily make someone a misogynist.

As a side note, Greer is a long-time Led Zeppelin fan, and they have aspects that are challenging to a feminist fan. I speak from personal experience here :guitar:

The Guardian published free leaflets of lyrics each day last week of well-known songwriters.

Greer argues that it's pointless to print just the lyrics because modern song lyrics are not lyrical in the traditional sense ( a poem in a song form), and they need the music to convey their meaning.

She argues real poetic lyrics don't need music because of their own internal rhythms, patterns and recurring sounds. She continues the lyrics also leave much to the readers' imagination, not explaining exactly what it means, leaving an element of mystery.

She praises Morrissey because she believes he gives thought to the weight, meaning and importance of each word and how it is expressed. For example, if he repeats a line it is for a purpose, to illustrate, rather than fill the next few bars of music. However, without the music, she argues, we don't feel the full impact of the words.

She criticises Dylan for not writing real poetry. I feel many songwriters use word sounds to create a mood, a landscape, along with the music, and it is not necessary for the words to have sense or meaning in themselves. Here the music is of greater importance.

Others tell a story concisely, intelligently or humorously.
To me the pop song where the rhyme is so predictable that I can speak in advance of the singer what's coming next is boring and unchallenging. For this reason I like the twists and turns Morrissey takes, and the way he changes the lyrics in concert.

Greer argues that it's pointless to print just the lyrics because modern song lyrics are not lyrical in the traditional sense ( a poem in a song form), and they need the music to convey their meaning.

She argues real poetic lyrics don't need music because of their own internal rhythms, patterns and recurring sounds. She continues the lyrics also leave much to the readers' imagination, not explaining exactly what it means, leaving an element of mystery.

Generally speaking, I agree with her BUT Dylan's lyrics really do stand up on their own, and leave plenty to the imagination -- books have been written trying to interpret his lyrics.

If you go to his web site, he has the lyrics to all of his songs. I find quite a few of them more compelling than the music he came up with for them. I've gotten used to his voice, but the harmonica is really jarring and tuneless IMO.

Generally speaking, I agree with her BUT Dylan's lyrics really do stand up on their own, and leave plenty to the imagination -- books have been written trying to interpret his lyrics.

If you go to his web site, he has the lyrics to all of his songs. I find quite a few of them more compelling than the music he came up with for them. I've gotten used to his voice, but the harmonica is really jarring and tuneless IMO.

My Dad - who is of Dylan's generation - has a theory that Bob Dylan's lyrics are a bunch of ambiguous toss and he's massively over-rated. I'm inclined to agree. Those who use the expression 6th form lyricist are also correct.

I dislike singer songwriters slightly more than I dislike warbling female singers. Dylan has a lot to answer for.

I don't disagree in the slightest with Greer's politics but week in, week out she spouts some absolute crap in her Guardian column, let's face it.

Back
Top Bottom