Germaine Greer loves Morrissey, hates Dylan

That's true. Songs like "Blowin' in the Wind," "The Times They Are a-Changin," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Like a Rolling Stone," and "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35", didn't rile anybody up at the time. They merely helped shape an entire generation's worldview. Sheesh.

Well, I wasn't around at the time, but from the dusty history books that I've read, Dylan got people all riled up (that's a good thing :mad:), and that's what got him on top of that pantheon that us Morrissey fans are currently wallowing in the bottom of. I guess I'm overlooking all those tender moments, because I don't hear much about them, and I just can't get all soft and fuzzy about a voice that could strip paint. Call me shallow.

But that's not what we're talking about here. We're discussing whether Dylan's lyrics are really "doggerel," while Morrissey's are somehow perfectly colored. Or something.

Dude, calm down. I said that I thought that Dylan was a very good lyricist.

Morrissey's voice could charm the birds from the trees. His lyrics have been, on occasion, absolutely flawless. It's a great combination.

I think all this Mozluv may be getting you down - it happens.

I think it's more to do with whether a lyricist expresses your world view rather than the objective quality of their writing. Dylan speaks to a certain generation, predominately male, and Morrissey's world view would probably have nothing to say to them.

Morrissey came out of a different generation and place and he tends to appeal to both genders pretty equally (which is why Greer probably appreciates him more).

I love Moz, but Greer's wank.

And the song that you just sang
It sounds exactly like the last one
And the next one
I bet you it will sound
Like this one

And to paraphrase (or pariahphrase) a Great Man, if Germaine Greer says don't like Bob Dylan, then I'm going to like Bob Dylan, because I hate Germaine Greer.:p

Dylan's lyrics are superb. To praise Morrissey at his expense only makes Greer look stupid.

I cant stand germaine greer,having said that,i never really got into bob dylan,just not my cup of tea,can't stand him actually,his voice gives me a headache,but that's just me,but i give him all the credit in the world for doing what he did etc etc etc

however,i find this interesting,I had a friend who worked at the old tower records in boston,not the giant one on mass ave but the smaller branch in harvard square,and good old mozzer stopped in there when he was touring in 1997,i believe for the second leg of the tour which included a show in lowell,he bought two books,a book on tattoos and a bob dylan biography.

really off the subject but this thread reminded me.
:rolleyes:

however,i find this interesting,I had a friend who worked at the old tower records in boston,not the giant one on mass ave but the smaller branch in harvard square,and good old mozzer stopped in there when he was touring in 1997,i believe for the second leg of the tour which included a show in lowell,he bought two books,a book on tattoos and a bob dylan biography.

:guitar:

i second that he writes great lyrics but his voice makes me cringe

Agreed..:)

He was a very good lyricist, in my opinion, but...

He's like aural sandpaper. I wonder if he would have been as effective, though, if he had had a pretty voice.

He's had not a bad career so he's done okay without my approval..:) I am very keen for unique people to sing their own words, because as you know not everyone loves our Moz's voice.

I think there's a dynamic where a particular voice doesn't appeal to you, but their lyrics do. I didn't dislike Kirsty MacColl, but when i heard other people sing her words, i could really appreciate her worth as a lyricist. I suppose it's down to a personal opinion.

Dear John is an astonishing lyric.

isnt't she that aussie lesbian? :D:o:)

At least I know it's not me.. Bob Dylan grates, Moz does sing his lyrics like he LIVES it (nb: THE PRESENT NOT THE PAST PARTICIPLE)

And most people here can relate to them. Maggies Farm??? I'd f***ing being nicking diesel from it. Sorry Lucy but its true Diesel Machine would be Smokey Robinsons Love "ditto" nowadays

I'm not interested in anything this woman has to say. She's the c*** who took glee in the death of Steve Irwin, who supported the attempt of Muslim wackos to prevent the filming of an adaptation of Monica Ali's novel Brick Lane, and who sided with those who called for a fatwa on novelist Salman Rushdie over his novel The Satanic Verses.

Such a stupid woman has nothing to say that I will ever be interested in.

She probably mostly likes Morrissey because of his soft spot for terrorists.

i like that she called dylan a creep. shes 100 years old. amazing.

i really hope im still calling elvis costello a creep at my 52nd birthday party.

Back
Top Bottom