Geoff Travis on the Morrissey of today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Nov 16, 2019.

By Famous when dead on Nov 16, 2019 at 11:52 AM
  1. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

(Originally posted in the Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread)

Rough around the edges: Former Smiths record label manager talks about his latest batch of Irish acts

"The first question you must of course ask Geoff Travis is what he thinks of Morrissey’s ongoing descent into far-right notoriety. Back in 1980s Travis discovered The Smiths and, with his record label Rough Trade, helped propel Moz toward gladioli-flourishing immortality. How long ago that must seem — how bittersweet the memories.

“Not bitter, no,” says Travis. “It was one of those periods that went by in a flash. Morrissey wasn’t the person he now seems to be. He was an interesting character to be around. As a band, The Smiths were an unstoppable force. A lot of years have gone by. I don’t think I’d recognise the Morrissey of today. It’s sad what he’s become, in terms of his views.”"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ut-his-latest-batch-of-irish-acts-963182.html

[​IMG]

A brief Morrissey segue in to the article's title.
    Regards,
    FWD.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Musician
      Musician
      Now, we have no idea what the contract between The Smiths and RT was financially. It might as well contained no big money until recouperation for studio, promotion etc etc. We only know Morrissey's side from Autobio but surely no one is crazy enough to take that for granted.
      If Morrissey had had issues with Travis not fulfilling their side of the contract , instead of witty remarks he should have sat down with their books.
      Not that I particularly like this dude or anything, but remember, Rough Trade gave them a chance, invested in studio, producer, etc.
    2. The Wild Turkey
      The Wild Turkey
      Is this guy Mr. Shankly?
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      That was the rumour, yes.
      • Troll Troll x 2
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    4. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Indeed. And the revisionists will try to convince you that anyone who gainsays Moz these days was, at the beginning, in the middle, and now - an enemy. Which of course is utter bollocks.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Troll Troll x 1
    5. MAD HATER
      MAD HATER
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Glasgow? How crass. Let’s meet up on Canal Street, ok Babs?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
    7. snoddywilko
      snoddywilko
      Yes.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    8. MoneyChangesEverything
      MoneyChangesEverything
      Morrissey enjoyed the money Rough Trade gave The Smiths, until he had to pay some to Joyce.
      • Like Like x 2
    9. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Indeed he was, & apparently recognised himself immediately from the lyrics, & found it humorous:

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask
      You are a flatulent pain in the ass

Genius lyrics. Well done Moz. Got the true measure of the guy, even back then.
      Haha. Love it.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I see Douglas Murray also wrote a book about Lord Alfred Douglas, so maybe we can start to see how the threads came together for Morrissey?
      • Like Like x 1
    11. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      3 people on this page alone are so new there names don't even register yet.these people are usually in it for the short haul.
      • Troll Troll x 1
    12. Mozmar
      Mozmar
      Just one thing though, shouldn't this read:

"The first question you must of course ask Geoff Travis is what he thinks of Morrissey’s [ALLEGED] ongoing descent into far-right notoriety."

Nothing I've read, anywhere, suggests this is factual. It's just false interpretation by the misinformed & those lacking any level of intellect, ...or even those with a personal axe to grind...you know Garudian readers & such like, or certain jaded personalities on here.

Nice fee earner tho' Geoff! Kerching!
      • Troll Troll x 1
    13. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
    14. Tobia
      Tobia
    15. PuppetParrot
      PuppetParrot

Skinny, again you didnt get banned. I call that the Poop Paradox.
      Sometimes you have to ban Skinny so the forum can survive.
      But apparently the TOS says no, a clause written in invisible ink.
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      And well-earned it was too!
    17. Nerak
      Nerak
      Yes. I think he's fallen into this because Douglas & Anne Marie are both gay & she's a vegan & Irish & a feminist.
      • Troll Troll x 1
      • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
    18. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Well I was just assuming he read the Bosie biography long ago and considered the author a credible and authoritative writer, and so then it would be easier to follow his trajectory into political opinion.
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      But enough about Geoff Travis, I just want to know what Morrissey's new album is like, which country he spends Christmas - USA,England Switzerland or elsewhere and when he'll be touring again.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      :rolleyes:

Okay Clouseau.