Geoff Travis on the Morrissey of today

(Originally posted in the Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread)

Rough around the edges: Former Smiths record label manager talks about his latest batch of Irish acts

"The first question you must of course ask Geoff Travis is what he thinks of Morrissey’s ongoing descent into far-right notoriety. Back in 1980s Travis discovered The Smiths and, with his record label Rough Trade, helped propel Moz toward gladioli-flourishing immortality. How long ago that must seem — how bittersweet the memories.

“Not bitter, no,” says Travis. “It was one of those periods that went by in a flash. Morrissey wasn’t the person he now seems to be. He was an interesting character to be around. As a band, The Smiths were an unstoppable force. A lot of years have gone by. I don’t think I’d recognise the Morrissey of today. It’s sad what he’s become, in terms of his views.”"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ut-his-latest-batch-of-irish-acts-963182.html

full

A brief Morrissey segue in to the article's title.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Morrissey isn't bothered what Geoff thinks, but isn't it sad that this right wing narrative continues, regurgitated throughout the press and damaging the treasured legacy. Keep repeating it often enough it really does stick. I won't stop listening but it really is sad.

o_O

FFS look who crawled from under his rock.:censored:
the cucko GT.

Yet another dull article about “Racist Morrissey “ No wonder this man is in self imposed exile. Everything is so simple minded on here now. On a lighter note I’m excited for Christmas as Mozzer will be No1 . It’s not over Morrissey it’s only just begun..... VIVA THE MORRISSEY

:sleeping:

Should have signed to Factory.

:cool:
Would it have been any different if they had???? If so explain... would we want to tamper with arrangements??? Would we change the history of the smiths if we could??? This is a poser KS, at this time of day of a Saturday evening...

Here we go again with another boring MoRrISsEy is RaCiSt article.

Come up with something original.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Poor Geoff, I’ve always felt a little sorry for him as Morrissey hasn’t really never said anything nice or positive about Geoff when the smiths were together, in fact moz completely tore him apart in Autobiography, which in fact was hilarious. I know where Geoff is coming from though when he says he wouldn’t recognise Moz now as it’s been 30 years... 30 years is along time and people do change. 30 years ago I was working in a local meat processing factory. Now I’m a civil servant so in that respect I haven’t changed, for the record, I do have bad breath

Maybe you’re multitasking, but what does the above mean?
What I was wanting to know, from your Post(should have signed to factory) is how would or might have things been different in your view. I think that was what you meant???

I'm sure Morrissey isn't bothered what Geoff thinks, but isn't it sad that this right wing narrative continues, regurgitated throughout the press and damaging the treasured legacy. Keep repeating it often enough it really does stick. I won't stop listening but it really is sad.

Well, unless one has a crystal ball, there’s no way of knowing how much the media is ‘damaging the treasured legacy’.

Only time will tell.

Geoff enjoyed the money the Smiths gave Rough Trade though, till he pished it all away.
I wonder how much Geoff actually made during this period?? Can remember moz saying that the smiths always done well sales wise mid- week , then the final push would see the smiths just fall short during the final couple of days in sales as the out put from RT would just f*** up as RT couldn’t get the vinyl, tapes ECT out in time, hence they probably would have had one or two number 1 singles

:sleeping:

Should have signed to Factory.

:cool:
Can you imagine Tony Wilson trying to convince Moz to plough all his ££ into The Hacienda? I'm glad The Smiths didn't sign to Factory in case it would have sidelined New Order. Somehow FAC and Peter Saville, the Hacienda, and the whole Factory aesthetic suited New Order but I don't think it would have suited Moz. The Fac guys were extravagant, fun loving drinkers and recreational drug users who partied 24/7. Ok maybe not Wilson himself.

Well, unless one has a crystal ball, there’s no way of knowing how much the media is ‘damaging the treasured legacy’.

Only time will tell.
One thing is for sure: Moz continues to make it hard to be a fan. If I'm honest I believe Moz actually doesn't give a toss about his fans. Short concerts, setlists to only please himself, his lack of empathy with almost all humans, etc. I still think his voice and music are ace but I don't think he can see beyond his own little sycophantic solar system with him at the center. Where has all the humour gone?

What I was wanting to know, from your Post(should have signed to factory) is how would or might have things been different in your view. I think that was what you meant???

What I’m saying is ...

RT has had some good bands on its label, but if it wasn’t for The Smiths
GT wouldn’t even be sitting on that couch answering those questions.

Guess that’s Geoff’s way of saying thanks to Morrissey.

What a git.

Can you imagine Tony Wilson trying to convince Moz to plough all his ££ into The Hacienda? I'm glad The Smiths didn't sign to Factory in case it would have sidelined New Order. Somehow FAC and Peter Saville, the Hacienda, and the whole Factory aesthetic suited New Order but I don't think it would have suited Moz. The Fac guys were extravagant, fun loving drinkers and recreational drug users who partied 24/7. Ok maybe not Wilson himself.
Fair point... imagine the high court cases that would have brought about... on another point would factory have been able to keep up with smiths sales, unlikeRT could not... I’m playing catch up here with my posts as Ive been under the mods for weeks now... HOW LONG AM I ON PROPATION FOR ????????

One thing is for sure: Moz continues to make it hard to be a fan. Okay If I'm honest I believe Moz actually doesn't give a toss about his fans. Okay Short concerts, setlists to only please himself, his lack of empathy with almost all humans, etc. Okay I still think his voice and music are ace but I don't think he can see beyond his own little sycophantic solar system with him at the center. If that’s what you think, Okay Where has all the humour gone?
can you expand on this?

I don't think it would have suited Moz. The Fac guys were extravagant, fun loving drinkers and recreational drug users who partied 24/7. Ok maybe not Wilson himself.

Then again, I don’t think Morrissey hung out with Geoff, in the same way he wouldn’t have hung out with ‘The Fac guys’, regardless of what either do.

I'm sure Morrissey isn't bothered what Geoff thinks, but isn't it sad that this right wing narrative continues, regurgitated throughout the press and damaging the treasured legacy. Keeprepeating it often enough it really does stick. I won't stop listening but it really is sad.
I love how you racist c***s keep coming to his defense. Yeah I loved the smiths and moz like everyone else but at least I’m realistic enough to know he’s a piece of shit as a human being! Keep called “fake news” but when he called out Faith Goldy in a positive light when I saw him in Toronto I was done. He’s repulsive. Grow the f*** up!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom