Geek Alert! - Windows XP SP3 Released

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.pchell.com/reviews/windowsxpsp3.shtml

The long awaited release of Windows XP Service Pack 3 has finally arrived. Its been almost 4 years since SP2 was released. With close to a hundred updates since SP2, Service Pack 3 has been needed. It appears this will be the last service pack for Windows XP. Microsoft plans to stop selling retail versions of Windows XP on June 30, 2008. So anyone who has not upgraded to Windows XP should think seriously about upgrading before this date.

Is there anything special in the Windows XP SP3 release?

Although Windows XP SP3 will not include any major changes, it will include all the patches and updates since SP2 was released along with 4 minor new features dealing with reliability and security.

The new features in Windows XP SP3 are:
Network Access Protection compatibility. This feature allows Windows XP machines to interact with the NAP feature in Windows Server 2008. This functionality is built into Windows Vista as well. NAP provides "computer health" policies that must be met before a particular computer is allowed to access the network. If a client cannot prove it is compliant with system health requirements (for example, that it has the latest operating system and antivirus updates installed), its access to the network or communication on the network can be limited to a restricted network containing server resources so that health compliance issues can be remedied.

Product Key-less install option. As with Windows Vista, new Windows XP w/ SP3 installs can proceed without entering a product key during Setup.

Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module. A new kernel module that "encapsulates several different cryptographic algorithms," according to Microsoft. Kinda technical, but it deals with security.

"Black hole" router detection algorithm. XP gains the ability to ignore network routers that incorrectly drop certain kinds of network packets. This, too, is a feature of Windows Vista. I just hope this doesn't cause more "limited or no connectivity" issues like I saw in SP2.
There are some minor changes to the security settings and the removal of a few things including the "Address Bar" from Taskbar. It appears from the latest whitepaper that IE7 is NOT included in SP3 but available for download separately.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
Download Size:316.4 MB

Just upgraded:) Perfect timing, just when my new computer arrived (of course I don't use Vista!).

Windows XP SP3? yay!

I am still waiting for a Microsoft Bob service pack though.

I did think it was funny that the update page listed "news" that was about SP2. After installing I got the little command box (???) saying "parameter is incorrect...parameter is incorrect" repeatedly, but I closed it and everything seems to be exactly the way it was before. THat doesn't sound like much, but compared to when I attempted to install my Vista upgrade, this is success!

both service paks are useless...only make it easier for cia to hack your pc...:)

I did read something about that "malware removal" tool that was slightly unsettling. Didn't save it, but the idea was that it's basically a backdoor, and that you shouldn't be concerned about the government (if you have nothing to hide ;) ) but of criminals that might use it to gain access.

Havn't upgraded from SP2 to SP3 yet. Any hitches or benefits to doing so from those that have? Does it affect programmes you have running?

What's the security Q?

BTW, which audio media player do you favour?

:confused:

I tried Foobar, then realised it doesn't sync to MP3 players, which is what I wanted.

I heard the older versions of Winamp are better, less bloated.
Winamp, the latest version, crashed the computer when I tried to install it...:(

I can't use winamp because it crashes on my computer..:(

I can't get WMP 9 to sync to my zen v and I've lost the installation disc for the zen V which would help me.

Anyone use Zen can send me a copy of the disc??? It's impossible to download (I can't do torrents) and creative are not helpful.:(:(

Please..any help appreciated.

We came to the conclusion that this is the update that finally crashed my mom's computer. Right before the computer got to the point that it no longer turned on she had just (half hr before) updated her computer with service pack three.

She had put it off for a long time and when she finally did... it was too late. She bought an iMac yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom