Gary Day and Spike T. Smith join New York Dolls in Blackpool

King Leer

Leering since '97
I happened to check out Gaz' Myspace page and he mentioned that he'd playing with the Dolls at Blackpool's Rebellion Festivals this past weekend.

Seems like it was a hit, and Gary looks well. One-time Morrissey drummer Spike T. Smith joined, too.

Wonder if Sylvain's request came about through a Moz recommendation.

Didn't post the picture directly in the forum as it's All Rights Reserved on flickr but you can see it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katiaporter/4873695304/

If anybody digs up other pix, post them.

Thank you, King Leer. I found this very interesting.

Seriously, out of all the musicians the Dolls could have gotten, they went with Day and Smith, two former Morrissey musicians. I'm glad for them all.

Has to be more than a coincidence.

I happened to check out Gaz' Myspace page and he mentioned that he'd playing with the Dolls at Blackpool's Rebellion Festivals this past weekend.

Seems like it was a hit, and Gary looks well. One-time Morrissey drummer Spike T. Smith joined, too.

Wonder if Sylvain's request came about through a Moz recommendation.

Didn't post the picture directly in the forum as it's All Rights Reserved on flickr but you can see it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katiaporter/4873695304/

If anybody digs up other pix, post them.

so does this mean they are now in the band ? hoping to see them in newcastle next month if i win my ebay bids !

so does this mean they are now in the band ? hoping to see them in newcastle next month if i win my ebay bids !

well, the NYD original line up, is half in 'heaven'so to say

I'm wondering if Morrissey had any influence in getting Gary and Spike
in the band, even if it was Blackpool

[mhh, what happened with Dean Butterworth, wasn't he Ben Harper's
drummer, before being a few years in Morrissey's band, and choose
to leave to play with Harper again, or was that Mikey Farrel?]

me thinks I'm making a mess of all the connections

almost 27 years is a long time:crazy:

Did you mean that Morrissey has any influence upon other artist' crew? I am not sure on that. I don't know if you can remember but Morrissey bring NYD back in 2004-05 (I guess) and of course, Dolls' guys knew Day and Smith ever since and for knowing them they were called to play together NYD. That's it.

Spike was long gone before Morrissey started working at getting the Dolls back together. It's possible David and co. did call Gary out of the blue even though he'd been out of camp Morrissey for a few years -- I just thought it was more logical that Morrissey might've put in a word, seeing as he's like the Dolls' unofficial "facilitator". I still think it's quite amazing that as a kid "Steven" was mesmerized by them and decades later brought about their comeback.

Did you mean that Morrissey has any influence upon other artist' crew? I am not sure on that. I don't know if you can remember but Morrissey bring NYD back in 2004-05 (I guess) and of course, Dolls' guys knew Day and Smith ever since and for knowing them they were called to play together NYD. That's it.

well, the NYD original line up, is half in 'heaven'so to say

I'm wondering if Morrissey had any influence in getting Gary and Spike
in the band, even if it was Blackpool

[mhh, what happened with Dean Butterworth, wasn't he Ben Harper's
drummer, before being a few years in Morrissey's band, and choose
to leave to play with Harper again, or was that Mikey Farrel?]

me thinks I'm making a mess of all the connections

almost 27 years is a long time:crazy:

Dean Butterworth joined Good Charlotte on a full-time basis because it was uncertain when Morrissey would be recording/touring at the time. He is also now working on a side project with Alain Whyte called Setting Fires.

It's nice to see Gary and Spike working together again. The Motivators (again, with Alain) never really got off the ground prior to YATQ.

This was a one-off gig for Gary/Spike. Sami Yaffa had something else going on, and Frankie Infante (guitar - Blondie) filled in for Steve Conte who is working with Michael Monroe (Hanoi Rocks) before the formal Dolls tour kicks in at a later date.

This was a one-off gig for Gary/Spike. Sami Yaffa had something else going on, and Frankie Infante (guitar - Blondie) filled in for Steve Conte who is working with Michael Monroe (Hanoi Rocks) before the formal Dolls tour kicks in at a later date.

a-ha ! just wonderin cos i have just won my tickets for the new york dolls at the cluny in newcastle next month ! still hopin moz might turn up !!

Back
Top Bottom