Gallon Drunk: never heard' em......

H

Harsh Truth

but I'm curious about them. Anyone care to post a YSI link to a classic song or two from this band? I'd be quite grateful.

Check back tonight. I'll get a few posted for ya.

> but I'm curious about them. Anyone care to post a YSI link to a classic
> song or two from this band? I'd be quite grateful.

Pure rubbish. Saw them open for Mozzer, almost as bad as Phrank.

Which begs the question, why can't he pay for GOOD opening bands? He always get rubbish acts 1) so he doesn't get upstaged 2) he can pay them next to nothing, selfish greedy c*** that he is.

Oh well, racist greedy despicable c*** that he is, I STILL LOVE HIM!

I love Phranc's song "I'm Not Romantic."

Also liked her lesbian version of Jonathan Richman's "Pablo Picasso", retitled "Gertrude Stein."

> Pure rubbish. Saw them open for Mozzer, almost as bad as Phrank.

Their sound evolved and changed a bit from album to album in the time since you saw them open for Morrissey.

> Which begs the question, why can't he pay for GOOD opening bands?

A lot of his opening acts stink, but Gallon Drunk are a really good band IMO.

Re: I love Phranc's song "I'm Not Romantic."

> Also liked her lesbian version of Jonathan Richman's "Pablo
> Picasso", retitled "Gertrude Stein."

> Their sound evolved and changed a bit from album to album in the time
> since you saw them open for Morrissey.

> A lot of his opening acts stink, but Gallon Drunk are a really good band
> IMO.

Fair enough, I just saw them when they were BAD rockabilly! Which begs the question, is there GOOD rockabilly?!

Yes there is though the only evidence I know of is "Eat Steak" by Reverend Horton Heat!!!

great! thanks. I just ordered "Tonight...the Singles Bar" online, but would love to hear something

prior to its arrival. I hear "Some Fools Mess" is really good?

Have you checked out Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys?

Re: great! thanks. I just ordered "Tonight...the Singles Bar" online, but would love to hear somethi

> prior to its arrival. I hear "Some Fools Mess" is really good?

Oh, I'm sorry, I ended up drinking too much Johnnie Walker Red last night and forgot all about this!

Okay, I'll get some songs online soon.....

"Tonite...the Singles Bar" is a compilation of their early singles. Which means you'll have to be the most open-minded of potential Gallon Drunk listeners to enjoy it (although "Please Give Me Something" is one most people would probably like). On those early tracks the songs were, like, in an echo chamber, and would often fall apart into a mess...a mess you either dig or you don't, depending upon your taste. I'm not sure that that's the best CD to start with, therefore. It could turn you off completely. But give it a chance. There's a terrific instrumnetal on there too.

"Some Fool's Mess" is a cool song from "You, the Night, and the Music," which is also early Gallon Drunk in sound, but more evolved. I'll post that amongst the tracks I upload when I get home later on. That song sort of has a James Brown influence. And it's lyrics are about seeing some dude's cum running down the leg of your girl. "You, the Might...and the Music" is my favorite of their albums.

Next, they had a release with Sire records which is where the sound became a lot more accessible and with easier to hear lyrics...although for Gallon Drunk that's still not anything that would be on commercial radio...at least not in the States. That album didn't sell either, so they accepted their fate as an underground band. Over the releases that followed, they became better musicians, and went to a more mature funk and sometimes jazzy direction...as well as some use of synthesizers....although still punk, and still sort of like Nick Cave's drunken, hellraising little brothers.

I've long believed Morrissey's "Whatever Happens I love You" has a Gallon Drunk influence.

Re: Have you checked out Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys?

Yeah, I'm not sure where the "always has bad bands open for him" comment is coming from. Some are good. Some bad.

I liked seeing Big Sandy in San Diego.
I liked Damien Dempsey, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Smoking Popes. Sack were decent...
Would have liked to see The New York Dolls play.

Some of the bands opening for him outside of the U.S. were appealing to me.

That said, I think Gallon Drunk were horrible. saw them pretty much boo'd off the stage for Moz. While I thought it was rude, I agreed with the dislike.

Re: great! thanks. I just ordered "Tonight...the Singles Bar" online, but would love to hear somethi

> prior to its arrival. I hear "Some Fools Mess" is really good?

Ohhh yeah...okay, check the top of the list today...I'm gonna post a bunch of Gallon Drunk songs in a bit.......

Back
Top Bottom