Fur is Murder - TTY

On one level I am sure we are all hypocrites in some way, yet we are all capable of distinguishing gross hypocrisy - hypocrisy properly so-called - and more minor ways we fail to live up to our own personal standards. The male preacher who says gay sex is wrong but who has a secret boyfriend, the politician who condemns corruption but who is thoroughly corrupt, etc.

Morrissey is so venomous in his attacks (cannibal, pedophile, murderer, etc) on people for supporting the meat industry that he really is setting himself as a moral authority on the issue whether he likes it or not. It's not as if he's saying 'you know, meat eating isn't very good for the environment and animals, let's try to do our bit in whatever way we can, it isn't easy I know, etc'. He's very absolute and definite about this. Even by his own standards, he won't allow his touring party to support the meat industry (or so he has said) yet either he personally eats cheese or knowingly allows members of his touring party to be supported in doing so by his rider (if the meat industry is murder, the diary industry obviously is as well)

Maybe he has personal issues which render him unable to engage in empathetic rational sensible dialogue over moral issues, but that doesn't change the fact that is a hypocrite.

hey im back and thought i typed you a long response but it just might be taking a min to post as im sure people have things to do on sunday but to bottom line it all i dont think morrissey a perfect animal rights activist and i dont think many if any are. people could end up making butterfly effect cases against people who shop at meat eaters stores and say your funding there consumption of animals by buying there products and it just all gets silly. you buy gas when you need it sometimes and cant do on the fly research about individual small business owners in that fashion to just use one example. especially when you look at taxes and how theyre spent or policies that support tax breaks for industries including the meat industry. what harm will you put yourself in to avoid your taxes going to things you dont like and does that end up making you a hypocrite worthy of the hate and anger ive seen displayed here. i dont think so. anyway i just dont think you have to be that perfect in order to receive praise for the good you do do and i dont think anyone here made that argument. no one said morrissey was perfect and totally un hypocritical, they just praised him for the activism he does do. people have been accused in mean ways of having taken this position and get drawn into defending an impossible stance they never actually took in the first place. i know you know this is a debate style and i think it does a disservice to anyone who wants to talk and try to find there way through the subject and is also just a cruel selfish thing to do to someone. there seems little point other than trying to elevate yourself through the belittlement of others imo and i think that does a disservice to everyone on a lot of levels and is just a waste of time. where did anyone say morrissey was never hypocritical. that said i still think morrisseys articulation and specific use of words combined with his uncontrolled theatricality can do him a disservice in the public quarter.

Back
Top Bottom