Fully signed Meat is Murder

Obviously a fake you twat !!

Could anyone please direct me to the issue of Smash hits when the comp appeared. I ve looked through the scans archive and cant find it.

Allie walls
Here is the cover

Attachments

• 01-smash-hits-28-february-13-march-1985_COVER.jpg
    01-smash-hits-28-february-13-march-1985_COVER.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 0
You’ve called this right
The seller is a fantasist. And like his mate ferdenzi, a ferrel piece of shit.

I don't know the history at all, but there was some hilarious stuff in the "Similar threads..". In the past he has claimed to be an insider who knows Moz personally, goes to gigs with him, goes backstage all the time, etc? And presumably gets him to "sign" all this stuff before hurriedly putting it on Ebay....

I don't know the history at all, but there was some hilarious stuff in the "Similar threads..". In the past he has claimed to be an insider who knows Moz personally, goes to gigs with him, goes backstage all the time, etc? And presumably gets him to "sign" all this stuff before hurriedly putting it on Ebay....

He’s been to a handful of gigs. And absolutely, definitely not with Morrissey.

Here are some comparisons. In my opinion it is impossible to fake Andy and Johnny that well.View attachment 45514

Marr, rourke & Joyce are spot on, on Norman’s copy, the Morrissey sig is slightly inconsistent compared to those other examples you just showed, but I would find it odd to have three legit sigs and one fake. You never know with madasun tho, his reputation well and truly precededs him. I’d still say it’s legit tho.

Marr, rourke & Joyce are spot on, on Norman’s copy, the Morrissey sig is slightly inconsistent compared to those other examples you just showed, but I would find it odd to have three legit sigs and one fake. You never know with madasun tho, his reputation well and truly precededs him. I’d still say it’s legit tho.
+1

Just for clarity - the Popsike auction (2013) describes the record as:
"Here's my autographed MEAT IS MURDER VINYL LP , from 1985.I got this whilst working in Probe Records Liverpool, with Probe being part of the Cartel was the main Indie supplier to the north and north west record shop"
The seller posted a picture with the silver sharpie-like Rourke sig that features in several more recent Ebay auctions as the Smash Hits prize - a little odd isn't it?.
Just to add to the mystery: in storage, I own one of the competition records and TTBOMR , the signatures are all the same colour.
Make of that what you will.
Regards,
FWD.

Just for clarity - the Popsike auction (2013) describes the record as:
"Here's my autographed MEAT IS MURDER VINYL LP , from 1985.I got this whilst working in Probe Records Liverpool, with Probe being part of the Cartel was the main Indie supplier to the north and north west record shop"
The seller posted a picture with the silver sharpie-like Rourke sig that features in several more recent Ebay auctions as the Smash Hits prize - a little odd isn't it?.
Just to add to the mystery: in storage, I own one of the competition records and TTBOMR , the signatures are all the same colour.
Make of that what you will.
Regards,
FWD.

Some interesting points. As far as the colour goes tho, if you’re going to forge 4 sigs, knowing full well the originals were all signed in black, why would a forger take it upon themselves to use different colours? Would draw much less suspicion if he just faked them all in black, surely.
If this copy is fake, then he’s either an expert at faking Marr, Joyce & Rourke, but stupid enough to use different pens and give himself away. Or... those 3 are legit, and signed at various stages over the years (hence the different colour pens), but was unable to get Morrisseys so he faked that one to complete the set. Pains me to give any validity to this guy’s items, but 3 of the 4 are so spot on, it tips it over into the Legit category for me.

Some interesting points. As far as the colour goes tho, if you’re going to forge 4 sigs, knowing full well the originals were all signed in black, why would a forger take it upon themselves to use different colours? Would draw much less suspicion if he just faked them all in black, surely.
If this copy is fake, then he’s either an expert at faking Marr, Joyce & Royce, but stupid enough to use different pens and give himself away. Or... those 3 are legit, and signed at various stages over the years (hence the different colour pens), but was unable to get Morrisseys so he faked that one to complete the set. Pains me to give any validity to this guy’s items, but 3 of the 4 are so spot on, it tips it over into the Legit category for me.
Indeed, was more speaking to whether it was from the competition.
I can't see why someone would list a record as fully signed from a record shop if it had better provenance as a documented competition prize?
It is also an odd coincidence that Rourke carries silver sharpie in Liverpool and then the same pen to sign 50 records with Smash Hits!
Not only that, but the Popsike auction in 2013 displays signatures that appear in almost identical positions when similar images appear later labelled as the Smash Hits prize.
The sigs look good, but if people are considering spending £500+, I'd like a few questions answered first - especially given the source ;)
FWD.

I can't see why someone would list a record as fully signed from a record shop if it had better provenance as a documented competition prize?
It is also an odd coincidence that Rourke carries silver sharpie in Liverpool and then the same pen to sign 50 records with Smash Hits!
Not only that, but the Popsike auction in 2013 displays signatures that appear in almost identical positions when similar images appear later labelled as the Smash Hits prize.
The sigs look good, but if people are considering spending £500+, I'd like a few questions answered first - especially given the source ;)
FWD.
Most people just make up stories when they sell items on Ebay. If i had a dollar for all of the "Selling my late father's collections", or "Estate sale", or "Got from somebody who worked for....." I'd be rich. Ross is just quoting a couple of other auctions that have that back story. Fact of the matter is nobody know the background of that item. The placement of the signatures are indicative of the the Smash Hits giveaway, regardless of the the ink on Andy's signature. I fully agree with ordinaryboys86, Andy, Mike, and especially Johnny are SPOT on and hard to fake, especially Johnny's....

FWD.

Possible that two sets were signed. Ones for the competition, (all same colour ink as you describe), and i’ll also buy the 2013 story on popsike that several copies were handed out to indie record stores, (most likely the ones with different pen). Over the years sellers and collectors have just assumed they’re all from the Smash Hits comp, whether they directly acquired them from there or not.
Would be interested to know if norman actually got this directly from smash hits, or bought it later and just assumed it was from smash hits.
Always questions to be asked and answered for sure.

Possible that two sets were signed. Ones for the competition, (all same colour ink as you describe), and i’ll also buy the 2013 story on popsike that several copies were handed out to indie record stores, (most likely the ones with different pen). Over the years sellers and collectors have just assumed they’re all from the Smash Hits comp, whether they directly acquired them from there or not.
Would be interested to know if norman actually got this directly from smash hits, or bought it later and just assumed it was from smash hits.
Can't see him in the list of winners I posted elsewhere!
FWD.

He absolutely did not. They named the winners in another issue.
MIM winners.jpg

Back
Top Bottom