'f*** morrissey-solo.com' says Morrissey and the band

What you say is true and, I have always thought you were one of the nicer/brighter people on here (just saying), BUT Morrissey has always had a very strong following he really doesn't need this place too much- if this place did not exist he would get the word out another way.

Why thank you. :)

For the last 14 years Solo has been the way to get the word out. The pop cultural landscape has changed, and Solo has dragged Moz along (sometimes kicking and screaming) for the ride.

This site isn't perfect - let's scrap anonymous posting, place some restrictions (time delay for moderation) for first time posters, scrap the pigsty (it only encourages anti social behaviour). But the sheer number of users and posters, the reach around the globe, and the mix of opinions, makes this place head and shoulders above other sites.

I really only follow the Morrissey news here these days. The anonymous posts on the front page continue to be the most repellent aspect of this site.

Morrissey is a public figure. He is one who has, year for year, made massively congratulatory comments in a positive way regarding the manic devotion of his fans. That this site should use his name is only common sense. I don't see it as manipulatory of Morrissey at all. It's a Morrissey site. Makes sense to have Morrissey's name in it. It's no deeper than that.

Furthermore, it's called Morrissey Solo...as in, "we acknowledge and support that Morrissey and his music exist after and outside of The Smiths." One of Morrissey's primary lamentations lately is that even in 2011, journalists and critics still focus on The Smiths. An entire website based on his solo legacy is, to me, something he should hold at a higher premium.

Remember when that f***wit held up a radio station at gunpoint and made the DJ play only The Smiths? I remember an interview in Uncut or Raygun in 94, they asked Morrissey about it and he supported the guy. He chose his words carefully but you could tell he had no problem with it.

So as far as I'm concerned, Morrissey accepts that the hardcore fanbase is just that: hardcore. If he does not understand that this pendulum swings both ways, then he's being silly.

Regarding the theory that the ire is over Viva's Hollywood Bowl audio leak: I doubt it. That's an absurd notion based purely on co-incidental timing.

It's far more likely the result of the negativity over the new songs. I, personally, hated them at first but have become quite fond of them. I think many others would say the same thing.

BUT EVEN IF EVERY SINGLE POSTER HERE said the songs flat-out sucked (which they, the fans, didn't and which they, the songs, don't)...what is the basic message of these shirts? That it is OK to hold up a human being at gunpoint so that he plays only Morrissey's songs...but if the consensus of fans is that that Morrissey's newest work may be less than stellar, than the website they choose to express themselves through can go f*** itself?

Ego, ego, ego.

tl;dr

I don't have time to read your nonsense. "Viva Hate donkey-punched me years ago and just now he did it again and I'mtired of it waah waah waah." That's all I need to know about you.

If you agree with the first point, you have to agree with the second. It is cause and effect.

Without news of the 1999 tour on this site, a large percentage of people would not have known about it. If a large percentage of people had not attended the concerts, the 1999 tour would have been a financial failure. If the 1999 tour was a financial failure, there wouldn't have been a 2002 tour. Without a 2002 tour, there would have been no new songs to debut to the fans, no Sanctuary record contract, and no 'You Are The Quarry'. That is a fact.

Viva Hate, you make some very intelligent posts and points, BUT.... (and I don't want to get into a pissing contest about this) YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG about the 1999 and 2002 tours. I'll concede this website DID help, but Morrissey has ALWAYS, and I mean, ALWAYS, had a strong enough and loyal fan base to tour without ANY promotion at all, even during the wilderness years. So, your timeline is way off. The Oye Esteban tour was successful mostly due to the California (and hispanic) following and the fact that he has ALWAYS maintained an appeal around the world. 2002, same thing. Of course the website helped... But Quarry swould've came out in 04' with or without the two previous tours. The new songs were written LONG before 2002. Sanctuary would've given Moz a deal, regardless of those tours. And Morrissey would probably still be with Sanctuary today, if they handled their financial matters better.
In any case, the previous tours were not the deciding factor. His back catalogue and his loyal fan base played HUGE factors, but the tours and again, the website, didn't hurt either. The loyal fan base, which I'm guessing was before your time (?) did not have access to the Internet. A good example of this is "Live In Dallas" HAPPENED (keep in mind this was 3 years [more than your two year limit] after "Viva Hate"...AND with the idea that the "Kill Uncle" songs were a flop with critics - there was NO earthly reason for people to attend this tour, but they did, in droves, without this website), and with NO Internet. The video 'Live In Dallas' provided and still does provide more promotion for Morrissey's future shows than this website really, ever could. If this website closed down today, True To You would get more hits and people who wanted to go to the shows would simply check there and that's that. With this website gone, the thing people would be missing out on is the forums, which, I think at this point, are fairly worthless. The forums are mostly a pissing contest, power-trips, immature teenage capping rituals peppered with a few rare nuggets of information or bootlegs and that's it. Basically, useless. Always have been, really. Everyone is trying to "make their own name", that is, make their "online name/presence", which is really boring when you think about 10 people might care what you/people seeking online fame think and that's about it. Yeah, there have been some gems released here, BUT it's not anything I couldn't have obtained from somewhere else by someone else.

Finally, I'll shut up, but I do think this site has been critically useful to Morrissey, but what I'm saying is, Morrissey would've, in fact, survived without it. I appreciate David T. and his efforts and support him in anyway that I can, not for David T. himself so much, but because of MORRISSEY. Take M-O-R-R-I-S-S-E-Y out of the equation and all you have is a boring BLOG. Make sense?

Viva Hate, you make some very intelligent posts and points, BUT.... (and I don't want to get into a pissing contest about this) YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG about the 1999 and 2002 tours. I'll concede this website DID help, but Morrissey has ALWAYS, and I mean, ALWAYS, had a strong enough and loyal fan base to tour without ANY promotion at all, even during the wilderness years.

So, you're basically saying without any promotion whatsoever, Morrissey can draw a sell out crowd because his fanbase is THAT loyal? If there is no promotion, does he do this telepathically? Do you really think he could have a sell out tour after 2 years of nothing with just an advertisement in the newspaper?! The notion is absurd.

So, your timeline is way off. The Oye Esteban tour was successful mostly due to the California (and hispanic) following and the fact that he has ALWAYS maintained an appeal around the world. 2002, same thing. Of course the website helped... But Quarry swould've came out in 04' with or without the two previous tours.

Once again, after 2 years of nothing, who else but this site was even keeping track of his career? No one. I don't care how loyal your fanbase is, if there isn't someone to put the word out to the masses that you're going on tour, you're not going to find many people in the audience.

The new songs were written LONG before 2002.

I never stated WHEN they were written.

Sanctuary would've given Moz a deal, regardless of those tours.

No, they wouldn't have. He needed those tours to prove to the record companies that he could be a valuable and profitable addition to their label. 'Maladjusted' bombed. If the 1999 tour had bombed as well, no record label would have invested time and money on someone they don't think they can make a profit off of. It is economics.

And Morrissey would probably still be with Sanctuary today, if they handled their financial matters better.

That is debatable.

In any case, the previous tours were not the deciding factor. His back catalogue and his loyal fan base played HUGE factors, but the tours and again, the website, didn't hurt either. The loyal fan base, which I'm guessing was before your time (?) did not have access to the Internet. A good example of this is "Live In Dallas" HAPPENED (keep in mind this was 3 years [more than your two year limit] after "Viva Hate"...AND with the idea that the "Kill Uncle" songs were a flop with critics - there was NO earthly reason for people to attend this tour, but they did, in droves, without this website), and with NO Internet. The video 'Live In Dallas' provided and still does provide more promotion for Morrissey's future shows than this website really, ever could.

I like how you left out the fact that between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle, Morrissey released 8 singles (some of his highest charting singles) and a little album called Bona Drag. He was BUSY during that time. It wasn't 3 years of NOTHING. Not to mention, critically panned or not, Kill Uncle sold 218,172 while Maladjusted only sold 87,638. So, obviously, his popularity had significantly diminished by 1997. You are trying to compare two completely different events...and it isn't working.

If this website closed down today, True To You would get more hits and people who wanted to go to the shows would simply check there and that's that. With this website gone, the thing people would be missing out on is the forums, which, I think at this point, are fairly worthless. The forums are mostly a pissing contest, power-trips, immature teenage capping rituals peppered with a few rare nuggets of information or bootlegs and that's it. Basically, useless. Always have been, really. Everyone is trying to "make their own name", that is, make their "online name/presence", which is really boring when you think about 10 people might care what you/people seeking online fame think and that's about it. Yeah, there have been some gems released here, BUT it's not anything I couldn't have obtained from somewhere else by someone else.

Finally, I'll shut up, but I do think this site has been critically useful to Morrissey, but what I'm saying is, Morrissey would've, in fact, survived without it. I appreciate David T. and his efforts and support him in anyway that I can, not for David T. himself so much, but because of MORRISSEY. Take M-O-R-R-I-S-S-E-Y out of the equation and all you have is a boring BLOG. Make sense?

I'm not even going to comment on any of this because it serves no purpose.

Speaking of history and such...

This signing was after the Kill Uncle tour, before the Your Arsenal tour:

Check out the news anchors.
NONE of the news people even mention he was ever the lead singer of The Smiths.

file this under "life before morrissey-solo"

Last edited by a moderator:
not many artists would hav the nerve to say f*** you to their fans.

idont think he understands that it is becos he has such true, loyal and devoted fans that they carry on the discussion/critique during an era that is most definitely inferior (but not completely bereft) compared to the high watermark period- if they didnt care, they wouldve just gone away as happens with the "fans" of many other artists. even while bearing insults such as these hurled at us from the man himself, we continue to look past it and cling to the greatness of what was, is and still can be.

can he not simply say, "thanks for listening" and carry on?

not many artists would hav the nerve to say f*** you to their fans.

idont think he understands that it is becos he has such true, loyal and devoted fans that they carry on the discussion/critique during an era that is most definitely inferior (but not completely bereft) compared to the high watermark period- if they didnt care, they wouldve just gone away as happens with the "fans" of many other artists. even while bearing insults such as these hurled at us from the man himself, we continue to look past it and cling to the greatness of what was, is and still can be.

can he not simply say, "thanks for listening" and carry on?

the man has balls. my respect for him was declining quite a bit, but i've definitely gained respect for him after that shirt. which is a little confusing to me. because i still disagree with him in so many ways. i guess that's why i think he's a badass.

Mozz i have all your cd's but i want to tell you: you're such a DIVA!

Regarding this:

"U2 have an enormous Star Wars set with drumsticks that light up northern Africa, and a sound system that would drown out an earthquake. I can't compete with that."

Are you jelous Mozz? you should reform the smiths, grab some money, compete and then talk. Musically speaking you and u2 are great!, great music, great lyrics.

Last edited:
the man has balls. my respect for him was declining quite a bit, but i've definitely gained respect for him after that shirt. which is a little confusing to me. because i still disagree with him in so many ways. i guess that's why i think he's a badass.

Where are these balls you speak of? I don't see them...
fms.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jun/29/morrissey-wages-war-fansite

wtf! lolhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jun/29/morrissey-wages-war-fansite

Last edited:
When I first read about the "t-shirt incident," I thought the man was upset because so much material has been leaked and shared over the years. Once I read the newspaper reports, I was really dismayed to learn he wore the shirt because of the criticism he has received for his Janice Long appearance and the quality of the new songs.

The truth may hurt, but I derive no pleasure in pointing out just how bad the new songs are and how desperate the state of his career is. For the very large part, I believe the criticism aimed at the new songs is that they are "un-Morrissey-like." Gone is the clever wit, the turn of the phrase, and the keen insight into the human condition. Wishing, hoping, praying, and pleading he return to top lyrical form (his trademark after-all) does not warrant him telling everyone on the site to go "f***" themselves.

This latest stunt isn't clever but crude. Is his career a race to mediocrity now because I'm unable to correlate his criticism of contemporary pop acts with their purported unwillingness to show intelligence with a "f***" anything t-shirt. A t-shirt like that can stain a lovely career.

he wore the shirt because of the criticism he has received for his Janice Long appearance and the quality of the new songs.

I think he wouldn't mind, If it was fair criticism. But what has been coming from this site are just rude insults. Boz is obviously reading this forum, and I would have worn the same t-shirt if I read comments like this:

He looks like a crackhead.

The pussy can't even grow a mustache...

It's comments like these that are making the band go mad.

I think he wouldn't mind, If it was fair criticism. But what has been coming from this site are just rude insults. Boz is obviously reading this forum, and I would have worn the same t-shirt if I read comments like this:

It's comments like these that are making the band go mad.

Aww, boo hoo. Morrissey should spend less money buying novelty t-shirts and more money on decent musicians and songwriters...if he did that, complaints of any kind would be cut in half.

Tags
cleanup david tseng fuck msolo reform t-shirt
Back
Top Bottom