'f*** morrissey-solo.com' says Morrissey and the band

Re: Morrissey and the band have a message for you.

First of all, who says that Morrissey is slamming this site for "negative reviews of his new material?" That's not what this is all about. Sloppy journalism.

Secondly, Morrissey refuses to recognize any authority whatsoever, including the authority of his fans. As far as I know, Moz is one of the very few pop stars on the planet who could get away with such an attitude.

Sure, the T-shirts are kind of a dick move, but it all fits in with Morrissey's life-long habit of leading with his chin. It would have been a classier move to wear a shirt that said: "f*** the negative, abusive, just-plain-nasty trolls on Morrissey-Solo," but that isn't really very pithy.

David deserves a huge amount of credit for continuing on with one of the most thankless jobs in all of fandom (although, seriously, the front page needs to be hosed down a bit more often...) :rolleyes: :)

though i'm one of the people that's been kind of critical of him on here as of late, i am totally down with that shirt. i think it's hilarious.

2Wl89.gif

Well, it seems a lot of people here are offended, and that's why they are lashing out. They should be offended and ashamed. They're all saying that this site carried Morrissey through that 7 year period...what rubbish! It's just a website. People came here because they were already aquainted with the man and his work. Don't tell me this site was found by anyone who didn't already know Morrissey. This site has done nothing for him, yet it owes him everything, and that's the truth.

Well, it seems a lot of people here are offended, and that's why they are lashing out. They should be offended and ashamed. They're all saying that this site carried Morrissey through that 7 year period...what rubbish! It's just a website. People came here because they were already aquainted with the man and his work. Don't tell me this site was found by anyone who didn't already know Morrissey. This site has done nothing for him, yet it owes him everything, and that's the truth.

completely untrue. i would definitely never have gotten into morrissey to the extent that i did if not for this online "community". what are you doing here if it's so pointless?

As someone who obviously wasn't on this site from 1997 on to 2004, you have no idea what you are talking about. If it wasn't for this site, over half the people who kept his bank account afloat by attending the 1999, 2000, and 2002 tours wouldn't have even known about them. When you make no news or records for 7 years, people will lose interest...people didn't lose interest NOT because he is such an enigmatic frontman, but because David Tseng was keeping him relevant to his audience with news stories, sightings, Q&A sessions with the band, and more.

Morrissey owes his very musical existence beyond 1997 to David Tseng and this site.

As someone who obviously wasn't on this site from 1997 on to 2004, you have no idea what you are talking about. If it wasn't for this site, over half the people who kept his bank account afloat by attending the 1999, 2000, and 2002 tours wouldn't have even known about them. When you make no news or records for 7 years, people will lose interest...people didn't lose interest NOT because he is such an enigmatic frontman, but because David Tseng was keeping him relevant to his audience with news stories, sightings, Q&A sessions with the band, and more.

Morrissey owes his very musical existence beyond 1997 to David Tseng and this site.

Come on. You should know better than that. It's true that I wasn't on the internet back then, but I went to see him on tour due to certain old fashioned forms of media. You don't really believe that this site kept Morrissey's legacy alive, do you? The mere fact that he was touring the world had nothing to do with Morrissey Solo. Use your loaf.

Come on. You should know better than that. It's true that I wasn't on the internet back then, but I went to see him on tour due to certain old fashioned forms of media. You don't really believe that this site kept Morrissey's legacy alive, do you? The mere fact that he was touring the world had nothing to do with Morrissey Solo. Use your loaf.

The fact he was touring the world was because he needed money. The fact that people were even aware he was touring the world was because of Morrissey-solo. Unless you're dead, the fact of the matter is you don't maintain a large fanbase for doing nothing for 7 years...

The fact he was touring the world was because he needed money. The fact that people were even aware he was touring the world was because of Morrissey-solo. Unless you're dead, the fact of the matter is you don't maintain a large fanbase for doing nothing for 7 years...

I fudamentally disagree on this point. People don't stop listening to legendary artists/groups because they don't have a record label. Morrissey was touring because he loves to tour, and not simply for the money.

His tax returns were a HUGE news story in 1998.

Oh yeah. For you to make a statement like that, you must have access not only to his tax returns but also his personal expenses, health care, investments, bank accounts, and everything else.

Well said. I remember hearing about gigs during that fallow period via the medium of the printed advertisement in the music press. I used this site intermittently at the time as I didn't have my own computer and the filter in my place of work was rather strict
(1999 and 2002) It was pleassant to be able to get hold of tickets a couple of days after gigs had been announced rather than watch the touts accumulate them en masse in an hour.

Certainly in the UK Morrissey has never really gone away. His sales had subsided but the Smiths were/are/ will always be part of the pantheon of great British bands.
I think his Quarry-era comeback was more orchestrated by the music scene at the time citing him and the Smiths as a key influence, the role that nostalgia plays in modern cuture and also a rather clever marketing campaign. Which this site played a role in.

Or putting it another way a few of my friends who are huge Smiths fans and like some of Morrisey's solo stuff have never even bothered visiting this site. Or have never bothered posting on it. The trouble with the world of the internet and those who use it (and I include myself in this) is that we think our individual voices are actually important. Only when a collective forms it seemingly does.
As Billy bragg "sung" There's A Power In The Union

I fudamentally disagree on this point. People don't stop listening to legendary artists/groups because they don't have a record label. Morrissey was touring because he loves to tour, and not simply for the money.

You're taking this out of context...1997 is not 2011. In 1997, Morrissey had a failure of an album, was dropped by his record label, and had successfully lost the Smiths royalties case...and due to his refusal to pay Mike Joyce what the court ordered him to pay, his Smiths royalties were garnished (and such is the case still). Between the tours of 97 and 99 he did nothing. Absolutely nothing! How many people do you think tend to actively pursue information and news on an inactive artist for 2 years? How many newspapers or magazines report on an artist who hasn't been relevant to the charts or scene in over 2 years? The fans don't stop listening, no...but people get on with their lives when you offer them squat for 2 years. There was no "official" mouthpiece like True-to-You back then...there was only Morrissey-Solo...without Morrissey-Solo providing a fanbase relevant news and a community for them to share their feelings in, there would have been relatively no news or excitement for a 1999 tour, nonetheless the 2000 and 2002 tours! Hell, without Morrissey-Solo, the majority of people wouldn't have even been aware that Morrissey was even doing anything in that time!

Yeah, I bet you also believe he doesn't release his music on his own because his "strengths do not lie in DIY", he's "fiercely competitive", and "dreams of people buying an album because they just like the songs." :lbf:

Oh yeah. For you to make a statement like that, you must have access not only to his tax returns but also his personal expenses, health care, investments, bank accounts, and everything else.

Check the news archive...it's all there.

I was a Smiths fan in the '80s, and a casual Morrissey fan thereafter. I had totally lost track of him by the mid-'90s (like so many other people I know). When Quarry came out I fell back in line on the strength of his talent and my fond memories, but I would NEVER have been able to follow (nor would I have cared too much about) Morrissey's activities without this site. Solo led me back into the fold, and I've spread the love and dragged in people who had never bothered to listen to him before; now they're big fans.

Pop stardom thrives on hype and community as much as it does on talent. Morrissey refuses to tweet (for which I salute him) and has no facebook page (another salute). Anyone in the media will tell you that you're fairly crippled these days without a web presence.

Solo isn't the only reason that Morrissey is still around today, but it IS the nexus of his online fan community, and that is a big deal.

Last edited:
You're taking this out of context...1997 is not 2011. In 1997, Morrissey had a failure of an album, was dropped by his record label, and had successfully lost the Smiths royalties case...and due to his refusal to pay Mike Joyce what the court ordered him to pay, his Smiths royalties were garnished (and such is the case still). Between the tours of 97 and 99 he did nothing. Absolutely nothing! How many people do you think tend to actively pursue information and news on an inactive artist for 2 years? How many newspapers or magazines report on an artist who hasn't been relevant to the charts or scene in over 2 years? The fans don't stop listening, no...but people get on with their lives when you offer them squat for 2 years. There was no "official" mouthpiece like True-to-You back then...there was only Morrissey-Solo...without Morrissey-Solo providing a fanbase relevant news and a community for them to share their feelings in, there would have been relatively no news or excitement for a 1999 tour, nonetheless the 2000 and 2002 tours! Hell, without Morrissey-Solo, the majority of people wouldn't have even been aware that Morrissey was even doing anything in that time!

Yeah, I bet you also believe he doesn't release his music on his own because his "strengths do not lie in DIY", he's "fiercely competitive", and "dreams of people buying an album because they just like the songs." :lbf:

I think an important point here is that Morrissey fans like you will go on being fans despite being offended by the man himself. This isn't due to any website, but because of the strength of morrissey's art. This has always been the case. You're overestimating the impact of this form of media. It is a by-product of the source. The internet is there for every artist these days. It is simply today's disposable newspaper.

I was a Smiths fan in the '80s, and a casual Morrissey fan thereafter. I had totally lost track of him by the mid-'90s (like so many other people I know). When Quarry came out I fell back in line on the strength of his talent and my fond memories, but I would NEVER have been able to follow (nor would I have cared too much about) Morrissey's activities without this site. Solo led me back into the fold, and I've spread the love and dragged in people who had never bothered to listen to him before; now they're big fans.

Pop stardom thrives on hype and community as much as it does on talent. Morrissey refuses to tweet (for which I salute him) and has no facebook page (another salute). Anyone in the media will tell you that you're fairly crippled these days without a web presence.

Solo isn't the only reason that Morrissey is still around today, but it IS the nexus of his online fan community, and that is a big deal.
Seal_Of_Approval_I.jpg

I think an important point here is that Morrissey fans like you will go on being fans despite being offended by the man himself. This isn't due to any website, but because of the strength of morrissey's art. This has always been the case. You're overestimating the impact of this form of media. It is a by-product of the source. The internet is there for every artist these days. It is simply today's disposable newspaper.

Only, I'm hardly offended (personally), I'm not a fan of the man himself, and I'm not a fan of his output since 2006. I don't stick around because of the strength of his art, but rather the PAST strength of his art...and the hope that maybe someday he'll wise up to his weaknesses and release something worthy of being included amongst the rest of his back catalog. There is a BIG difference.

However, I don't care about any artist enough to remain devoted to them if they offer nothing at all but silence for over 2 years...David Tseng offered news when Morrissey himself was too lazy to. You are underestimating the impact of a community like this...for the fans, David Tseng grabbed Morrissey by the shirt color and pulled him out of the stagnant waters he was content to drown in. You can't understand what this site means and can't appreciate all David has done because you were not here...you did not live through it. People take this site for granted...and that is truly unfortunate.

Tags
cleanup david tseng fuck msolo reform t-shirt
Back
Top Bottom