From a Stevenage overspill....

xtf

Obscure lyric observation:

From a Stevenage Overspill
We'd kill to live around
South West Six
With Someone like you

Just noticed Stevenage Road, SW6 outside Fulham football ground- is this what the song is about, not some isolated new town loser envying sloane rangers after all?

Maladjusted - how underrated

We'd kill to live around
South West Six
With Someone like you

Just noticed Stevenage Road, SW6 outside Fulham football ground- is this what the song is about, not some isolated new town loser envying sloane rangers after all?

Hmmm...sounds like the latter someone who actually doesn't live in the area envying wealthy people in SW6.

We'd kill to live around
South West Six
With Someone like you

Fantastic observation, but... meh. It just doesn't fit in the same way. If you already lived in SW6, why would you kill to live there?

Then again, I don't actually know the area too well. Is it better outside that postcode, or is it pretty salubrious in SW6?

I haven't been to the actual Stevenage Road SW6, however, have been to the area several times.
This particular part of London is definitely populated by wealthy people.

I was just thinking there was a connection- maybe even unconcious. Morrissey likes football apparently, the SW6 football club is on Stevenage Road.
Did he write the song wandering past the ground? He must have been to Fulham to conjure it up so well.
Those fans spilling out into Stevenage Road...

I was just thinking there was a connection- maybe even unconcious. Morrissey likes football apparently, the SW6 football club is on Stevenage Road.
Did he write the song wandering past the ground? He must have been to Fulham to conjure it up so well (yes it is a mostly wealthy area)

If Morrissey has been to the Fulham ground, I might cry, because I missed him:mad:

I always thought the line Stevenage Overspill may have been inspired by the film Boston Kickout which was released a year before:

In the early '80s Phil's father moves the family from an inner city slum to build a bright new life in Stevenage. But it's now the '90s and the dream has crumbled. After leaving school Phil (John Simm - Human Traffic) finds himself in the bewildering world of unemployment, violence, alcoholism and drug abuse. His best friend Ted (Andrew Lincoln - TV's Teachers) disappears, Steven (Richard Hanson) tries to conform to his parents' expectations and Matt (Nathan Valente) becomes engaged. Feeling alienated from his friends and dissatisfied with his existence, Phil becomes involved with Steven's brother Robert (Marc Warren - TV's Hustle), a dangerously incompetent villain who is ever planning the 'big job'. Now trapped between two worlds - the criminal and the banal, it is the arrival of his vibrant and liberated cousin Shona (Emer McCourt) that acts as the catalyst for Phil to expand his horizons. But on his horizon lies momentous decisions that will transform his world.

But I maybe wrong

Stevenage is a commuter town for London and other areas (right next to the A1).

The line 'A Stevenage 'Overspill'' is surely a reference to overcrowding in British urban areas. That even commuter towns now have an 'overspill' because they are too full fits perfectly with the song's irony.

Does anyone else think Malajusted (the song) is one of the greats? Severely underrated imo.

Does anyone else think Malajusted (the song) is one of the greats? Severely underrated imo.

Definitely one of the greats! It's immediate yet mystical. There's a rushed feeling of the music and some of the words. It's fresh and sort of monumetal in a sense reminding me of crisp air, even inside the metropol; high speed and wide and tall spaces. Well, my interpretation of it has become quite abstract and very personal and may not at all be in line with its original intetion, but still:rolleyes:...:o

Stevenage was the first 'overspill town' opened for Londoners to migrate to after the 2nd world war. The plan was to open 'new towns' in a ring around greater London so people could escape the grime and slums of post war London and every home would have a garden!
Basildon was another such 'new town' - I once worked with someone from there and she said all her family and practically the whole community of Bermondsey moved there when it opened in the 60's!

In Manchester, similar areas where built such as Wythenshawe (my mum was one of the first wave of people to move there from Moss Side) and Hattersley near Hyde - where Hindley & Brady moved to from Gorton.

These new towns became notorious for their lack of amenities - public transport, leisure facilities etc etc and after a few decades became run down and rather unflatteringly referred to as 'inbred'!

That is where the lyric comes from, as mentioned, it doesn't quite fit in being linked with someone living next to Fulham FC's idylic residential setting.

Jukebox Jury

Excellent post, JJ.

Your next book may be some insight about Morrissey's lyrics? :)

Stevenage was the first 'overspill town' opened for Londoners to migrate to after the 2nd world war. The plan was to open 'new towns' in a ring around greater London so people could escape the grime and slums of post war London and every home would have a garden!
Basildon was another such 'new town' - I once worked with someone from there and she said all her family and practically the whole community of Bermondsey moved there when it opened in the 60's!

In Manchester, similar areas where built such as Wythenshawe (my mum was one of the first wave of people to move there from Moss Side) and Hattersley near Hyde - where Hindley & Brady moved to from Gorton.

These new towns became notorious for their lack of amenities - public transport, leisure facilities etc etc and after a few decades became run down and rather unflatteringly referred to as 'inbred'!

That is where the lyric comes from, as mentioned, it doesn't quite fit in being linked with someone living next to Fulham FC's idylic residential setting.

Jukebox Jury

there is always someone somewhere with a big .... fill in the blanks

Back
Top Bottom