French Market Place (Los Angeles) said to close for good Mar. 31, 2015

I meant to go there once but couldn't find parking so went somewhere else. I love me some French bread and butter but I'm not walking ten blocks for it. :p

I bet their fate is the same as Cat and fiddle. Lease up. It's a hot section of WeHo, the property owner is cashing in big on this.

He does mention Charles the co-owner of the store Baby Jane's in his autobiography. I went to the store a few times and met him. They were friends. He retired several years ago. Nice guy.

Judged by Moz's description in Autobiography he seems to be a nice guy. Is there a picture of him somewhere? How old is he? Is he the one with the dogs called Jane and Blanche?

I wish the shop closes where Morrissey buys those horrible shirts he's been wearing on tour.

I have to agree. I don't think they suit him. Sure he looks good in them but nowhere near as good as he would in a proper one color shirt. Back around the Southpaw tour he looked immaculate, a virile Stanley Baker. I loved his lame shirts around the Your Arsenal era (e.g. on the cover of 'The Malady Lingers On') and his shirts around the Vauxhall era. The shirt on the video for 'The more you ignore me' really suited him. Same comment for his photo session at the Griffith Observatory back in the 90's.

It's only closing for a remodeling.

Get the story straight before you post definitively, thanks.

(so basically, this whole thread is pointless and a waste of time).

I have to agree. I don't think they suit him. Sure he looks good in them but nowhere near as good as he would in a proper one color shirt. Back around the Southpaw tour he looked immaculate, a virile Stanley Baker. I loved his lame shirts around the Your Arsenal era (e.g. on the cover of 'The Malady Lingers On') and his shirts around the Vauxhall era. The shirt on the video for 'The more you ignore me' really suited him. Same comment for his photo session at the Griffith Observatory back in the 90's.

Guess what! Moz isn't in his 30s and we don't live in the 90s anymore. He will have his reasons for wearing those shirts and those trousers. Do such superficialities really matter at the end of the days? After all these years?

Guess what! Moz isn't in his 30s and we don't live in the 90s anymore. He will have his reasons for wearing those shirts and those trousers. Do such superficialities really matter at the end of the days? After all these years?

He could look a lot worse. If he's happy with his clothes, then leave him alone! I love his unique style.

Some people have trouble realising he's not 36 anymore.

my guess that one of the reasons he wears the sailor shirts and balloon britches is that they stretch.

my guess that one of the reasons he wears the sailor shirts and balloon britches is that they stretch.

He's not even fat. He was much bigger in his late 40's.

- - - Updated - - -

do we ever see him in those shirts in the street? i dont know for sure but if not maybe he wears them onstage as part of a promotion deal

- - - Updated - - -

do we ever see him in those shirts in the street? i dont know for sure but if not maybe he wears them onstage as part of a promotion deal

He had one on at the Italian restaurant.

Not sure what he would be promoting as they haven't sold them in 3 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the shirts take away the passion or intensity of a performance? Do the shirts lessen the meaning of songs? No, they don't (at least in my world). So, can we please give it a rest? Also, it's quite funny that people are more forgiving with his infamous Sailor Suit or PVC Suit although they were ugly as hell and didn't even fit properly because they were too short and you could see his slight belly)

I never said he was in his thirties. Just like I never said it was now the 90's. Just like I never said he didn't look well.

He had one on at the Italian restaurant.

Not sure what he would be promoting as they haven't sold them in 3 years.

didnt know either of those bits of info so perhaps not.

question. i wrote the bottom part about the shirt promotion but not the other upper using line correct grammar and punctuation but the two seem to be combined as if by one author. howd that happen?

Judged by Moz's description in Autobiography he seems to be a nice guy. Is there a picture of him somewhere? How old is he? Is he the one with the dogs called Jane and Blanche?

I did take pictures of him and the store but as you can see below in the email exchange from back in 2003 below I promised not to share them:

----- Original Message -----
To: babyjanecollectibles
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:20 PM
Subject: Hello Charles!

Charles,

Pleasure meeting you today- thank you for taking the time to discuss your store and all of the fun tidbits about the great Moz stage backdrops and interesting talk about us rabid Morrissey fans!!

I decided to keep the pictures of your shop to myself and not submit them to the Morrissey-Solo web page just to avoid any potential problems for Morrissey himself and out of respect for your privacy as well. I have attached them here for your own personal fun!!

Take care and thanx again for the time- you have a GREAT shop run by a great guy!

Best,

Jay Tando

-----

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:15 PM
To: Jay Tando
Subject: Re: Hello Charles!

My partner in the store, Roy, just forwarded your email to me, thanks so much for the images, thats what I get for coming to work in my pajama bottoms.
Thanks for not posting them, they might be tricky for me to explain my way out of as you know, "he" knows ALL.
Chas.

I did take pictures of him and the store but as you can see below in the email exchange from back in 2003 below I promised not to share them:

----- Original Message -----
To: babyjanecollectibles
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:20 PM
Subject: Hello Charles!

Charles,

Pleasure meeting you today- thank you for taking the time to discuss your store and all of the fun tidbits about the great Moz stage backdrops and interesting talk about us rabid Morrissey fans!!

I decided to keep the pictures of your shop to myself and not submit them to the Morrissey-Solo web page just to avoid any potential problems for Morrissey himself and out of respect for your privacy as well. I have attached them here for your own personal fun!!

Take care and thanx again for the time- you have a GREAT shop run by a great guy!

Best,

Jay Tando

-----

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:15 PM
To: Jay Tando
Subject: Re: Hello Charles!

My partner in the store, Roy, just forwarded your email to me, thanks so much for the images, thats what I get for coming to work in my pajama bottoms.
Thanks for not posting them, they might be tricky for me to explain my way out of as you know, "he" knows ALL.
Chas.

I'm quite ashamed that I asked about pictures. I obviously meant some public pictures from the shop or something, I don't know, but surely not some private ones. It's absolutely respectful from you to keep the pictures private and Charles sounds like a wonderful guy who understands and respects privacy. I get the impression that Moz knew/knows some wonderful people in Los Angeles.

" I get the impression that Moz knew/knows some wonderful people in Los Angeles."

i would say thats a big understatement

Here is a pic I took at Baby Jane circa 2003. I will keep Charles' pic private.

attachment.php

Baby-Jane.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the part from Autobigraphy where he mentions the owner of the store:

"Charles sells vintage autographs and stocks of famous Hollywood costumes in a shop called Baby Jane on Santa Monica Boulevard. His house on De Longpre was once owned by Charlie Chaplin but now shelters Charles and his two dogs, who are introduced to me as Jane and Blanche. Jigsaw, jigsaw, jigsaw. In the 1962 film Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? the sister known as Blanche is confined to a wheelchair, and, abstractly, Charles’ dog named Blanche has lost the use of her back legs and drags them behind her as she moves – as if mimicking the screen character of Charles’ most fondled film. Charles is a good friend, and we take several car journeys across the Mexican border."

Back
Top Bottom