Free market bitch slap!

Right. Exactly. As the Shirley Sherrod case showed, they are calling the shots.

The Shirley Sherrod case was blown apart in a matter of days - Breitbart was publicly repudiated, and his credibility is now shot with everyone but the most die-hard partisans.

You just articulated, in a fair and accurate manner, why they are more powerful than we are. Barack Obama is the President of the United States. He is held hostage by Fox News, Sarah Palin, and Newt Gingrich. They're winning. They're winning because they control the national conversation. Liberals have nothing to offer.

I hate to get all metaphysical when it comes to politics, but it is easier to destroy than to create, and it is easier to stoke fear than to encourage trust.

The Right is controlling the message right now because they are in opposition to a black president, and the world economy is very unstable. People are angry and scared and want to do something, and something constitutes blaming the people in charge. This is even easier when the people in charge are "other."

The Right has always profited from negativity - the Southern Strategy was their bread and butter. As for the "Liberals," they passed health care legislation that (imperfectly) addresses not only the moral crime of being uninsured, but actually cuts the deficit. They also passed (highly imperfect) financial reform and are in the process of setting up a regulatory agency to fight some of the worst excesses of a deregulated market (among other things). The opposition exists purely in opposition and deconstruction, which means the Left must have accomplished something. :rolleyes:

It remains to be seen whether constructive, positive change will prevail over the morass of unreasoning hatred and ignorance, but that is all we have right now. Much as I love Rimbaud, I don't think that any poets are going to lead us to the promised land any time soon.

The Shirley Sherrod case was blown apart in a matter of days - Breitbart was publicly repudiated, and his credibility is now shot with everyone but the most die-hard partisans.

Blown apart, yes, but only after Sherrod was fired. The lesson of the incident is that the Obama White House (and the NAACP) will leap at any chance to avoid criticism from the wingnuts and their cheerleaders at Fox News. It turned out that Breitbart's story was easily debunked, but a strong White House would have handled the situation differently as soon as the story broke.

You can see some of the pressure the right is exerting on Obama now, after his Cordoba House statement. Whether or not we think Obama "backed off" his earlier comments, he is clearly dancing to their tune.

I hate to get all metaphysical when it comes to politics, but it is easier to destroy than to create, and it is easier to stoke fear than to encourage trust.

The Right is controlling the message right now because they are in opposition to a black president, and the world economy is very unstable. People are angry and scared and want to do something, and something constitutes blaming the people in charge. This is even easier when the people in charge are "other."

The Right has always profited from negativity - the Southern Strategy was their bread and butter. As for the "Liberals," they passed health care legislation that (imperfectly) addresses not only the moral crime of being uninsured, but actually cuts the deficit. They also passed (highly imperfect) financial reform and are in the process of setting up a regulatory agency to fight some of the worst excesses of a deregulated market (among other things). The opposition exists purely in opposition and deconstruction, which means the Left must have accomplished something. :rolleyes:

The Democrats passed health care reform that insurance companies will likely be able to get around. Same with Wall Street reform. Little will change in the long run. Gains for some will be offset by setbacks for others.

Liberals stand for nothing. Yes, I know they have things to say when they're out stumping for votes. Scratch the surface and there's nothing beneath. I would be hard-pressed to recite, with any certainty, what Barack Obama, his Administration, and in fact most other Democrats actually believe and want to see realized through political action.

Could you explain, for instance, the official Democratic stance on the war in Afghanistan? We've all heard Obama's speeches, but at the end of the day, we're still there, we're going to be there for some time, and in the larger picture American imperialism is not going to be scaled back. We think we're all on the same page, but we're not. Obama serves the interests of his corporate masters just like Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton and Bush Jr.

Worst of all is the absence of principle: Obama can't even stand there and say he wants to stop using remote-controlled missiles to blow up women and children in farmyard wedding ceremonies in Afghanistan and Pakistan. There isn't even a basic commitment to human rights.

I know, I know: Obama and the Democrats must balance their agenda with what is possible in today's political arena. Obama couldn't push single-payer through, despite his open acknowledgement that it's the best solution, because of GOP and public opposition. But to me this is the most damning argument of all, because any liberal with a message and a backbone could get out and realize a truly progressive set of measures, even in today's America. I say this because the middle- and working-class voters in America, the Democratic Party's traditional base, are getting the shaft, yet the majority continues to distrust the Democrats and favor the Republicans. How can that be?

I don't think that any poets are going to lead us to the promised land any time soon.

Poets don't lead. Poets remind us of what we're all in danger of forgetting. Never mind producing a Superman or a Batman to solve our problems. The public can't even remember FDR.

Last edited:
Blown apart, yes, but only after Sherrod was fired. The lesson of the incident is that the Obama White House (and the NAACP) will leap at any chance to avoid criticism from the wingnuts and their cheerleaders at Fox News. It turned out that Breitbart's story was easily debunked, but a strong White House would have handled the situation differently as soon as the story broke.

Yes, I was disappointed by the WH reaction, but this is a supercharged situation in which race could very well bring down the whole shebang. Next time (and there will be a next time), I expect them to be much more aggressive in calling out this nonsense, and spinning it their way.

You can see some of the pressure the right is exerting on Obama now, after his Cordoba House statement. Whether or not we think Obama "backed off" his earlier comments, he is clearly dancing to their tune.

Obama is doing what every politician does when confronted with a powder keg - he "clarifies" his position. In Obama's case, I think his original statement was succinct and his follow-up made sense. He is answering his critics, just like every president/senator/representative before him.

The Democrats passed health care reform that insurance companies will likely be able to get around. Same with Wall Street reform. Little will change in the long run. Gains for some will be offset by setbacks for others.

Here's to Elizabeth Warren landing that new job as head of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection. You may not be impressed, but like many Progressives, I like her, and I think she could be a truly proactive Wall Street reformer.

I'm not going to discuss the health care bill again - I just can't go there. It's a huge step in the right direction, and it's far, far better than the alternative, which is the old status quo.

Liberals stand for nothing. Yes, I know they have things to say when they're out stumping for votes. Scratch the surface and there's nothing beneath. I would be hard-pressed to recite, with any certainty, what Barack Obama, his Administration, and in fact most other Democrats actually believe and want to see realized through political action.

We have two liberal Senators and a few decent liberal representatives here in New Jersey; they have voted pro-environment, pro-choice, pro-labor, pro-science, pro-consumer, pro-gay rights etc, etc. about 90+% of the time. The Tea Party is trying to recall Menendez, so he must be doing something right.

As for Obama, he is not a liberal, as you have pointed out many times. He is a centrist who leans left, but he is not an ideological progressive.

Could you explain, for instance, the official Democratic stance on the war in Afghanistan? We've all heard Obama's speeches, but at the end of the day, we're still there, we're going to be there for some time, and in the larger picture American imperialism is not going to be scaled back. We think we're all on the same page, but we're not. Obama serves the interests of his corporate masters just like Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton and Bush Jr.

Worst of all is the absence of principle: Obama can't even stand there and say he wants to stop using remote-controlled missiles to blow up women and children in farmyard wedding ceremonies in Afghanistan and Pakistan. There isn't even a basic commitment to human rights.

The war in Afghanistan is a dire situation, and I don't know what the hell is going on with this Administration in that department.

I know, I know: Obama and the Democrats must balance their agenda with what is possible in today's political arena. Obama couldn't push single-payer through, despite his open acknowledgement that it's the best solution, because of GOP and public opposition. But to me this is the most damning argument of all, because any liberal with a message and a backbone could get out and realize a truly progressive set of measures, even in today's America. I say this because the middle- and working-class voters in America, the Democratic Party's traditional base, are getting the shaft, yet the majority continues to distrust the Democrats and favor the Republicans. How can that be?

That is the Ten Trillion dollar question.

Poets don't lead. Poets remind us of what we're all in danger of forgetting. Never mind producing a Superman or a Batman to solve our problems. The public can't even remember FDR.

I know, my post about Rimbaud sounded terribly snarky.

Poets exist on a purer plain than the rest of us; theirs is the reach that often exceeds our grasp.

Next time (and there will be a next time), I expect them to be much more aggressive in calling out this nonsense, and spinning it their way.

What is it about the current state of things that leads you to be optimistic about next time? This bullshit has been going on since Clinton.

Obama is doing what every politician does when confronted with a powder keg - he "clarifies" his position. In Obama's case, I think his original statement was succinct and his follow-up made sense. He is answering his critics, just like every president/senator/representative before him.

I realize that. But this takes us back to the same point I've been making. He is answering to them. He seems unable to get out in front of stories and lead. The fault isn't entirely his, of course. The problems with the media have been around for some time. Whatever the case, it's clear that Obama is constantly on the defense, constantly managing crises. Wouldn't that seem to betoken a lack of leadership?

Here's to Elizabeth Warren landing that new job as head of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection. You may not be impressed, but like many Progressives, I like her, and I think she could be a truly proactive Wall Street reformer.

I like her too. We'll see what she can do. Right now Congress and the White House are well-paid whores serving at the feet of Wall Street and I don't see Warren changing anything. I would be thrilled to be proved wrong.

I'm not going to discuss the health care bill again - I just can't go there. It's a huge step in the right direction, and it's far, far better than the alternative, which is the old status quo.

Fair enough. It's not worth re-hashing, especially considering we won't know the pros and cons of the bill for another three or four years, at least.

As for Obama, he is not a liberal, as you have pointed out many times. He is a centrist who leans left, but he is not an ideological progressive.

Okay, but Obama is the head of the Democratic Party, so effectively the Democrats are centrists, too. The country has shifted so far to the right that our only two viable parties are far-right (Republican) and centrist (Democrat). Robert Gibbs' whining notwithstanding, I would like to see more leftists speak out against the Democrats. Without true opposition I don't see anything that's going to stop the right from steamrolling Washington.

My personal proclivity is for centrism, compromise, rational problem-solving, and so on, but these tactics aren't working and we're running out of time. Of course I don't favor an outbreak of Left Terror. We just need the left to organize around strong principles and break the right's grip on our political discourse. It will take more than Jon Stewart.

The war in Afghanistan is a dire situation, and I don't know what the hell is going on with this Administration in that department.

That is the Ten Trillion dollar question.

Now waaaaaaaaaait a minute. :rolleyes:

There's no confusion about what's going on in Afghanistan and I don't believe there should be any confusion about why the Democrats have lost their base of voters.

The Obama Administration is in Afghanistan because it is continuing the work of the last several administrations, namely, the entrenchment of the United States as an imperial superpower with military and economic hegemony over the rest of the world. More specifically to Obama, he has also made it his war in order to avoid the charge of being soft or, put differently, it's a political calculation to stay in the White House.

The Democrats have lost their base because they no longer stand for any of the principles which gave them their identity in the first place. They've abandoned their traditional commitments to labor and to the welfare state and prostituted themselves to corporations in order to subsidize election-day victories.

I know you probably disagree with my analysis of what's going on in those areas but surely they can't be open questions, right? :)

Last edited:
What is it about the current state of things that leads you to be optimistic about next time? This bullshit has been going on since Clinton.

Because Obama is smart enough to learn from his mistakes. :pray:

I realize that. But this takes us back to the same point I've been making. He is answering to them. He seems unable to get out in front of stories and lead. The fault isn't entirely his, of course. The problems with the media have been around for some time. Whatever the case, it's clear that Obama is constantly on the defense, constantly managing crises. Wouldn't that seem to betoken a lack of leadership?

Isn't that the modus operandi for recent presidents? They deal with a (dis)loyal opposition, and jump from crisis to crisis.

The days of forceful leadership seem to have vanished in the internet/24 hour media revolution. The opposition is always well armed, and the Fourth Estate no longer take their jobs seriously. So, it's one (manufactured) crisis after the next, in an endless "oh my god, what will happen next?" reality bullshit cliffhanger. Jesus, it's so f***ing juvenile it makes me want to spit.

The only president who will gain control of the narrative is the one who either gains control of the media or starts a war. Bush Jr. got that one right.

I like her too. We'll see what she can do. Right now Congress and the White House are well-paid whores serving at the feet of Wall Street and I don't see Warren changing anything. I would be thrilled to be proved wrong.

The Citizens United decision has unleashed the corporate hounds, and we will see who benefits from the flow of cash.

Now waaaaaaaaaait a minute. :rolleyes:

There's no confusion about what's going on in Afghanistan and I don't believe there should be any confusion about why the Democrats have lost their base of voters.

The Obama Administration is in Afghanistan because it is continuing the work of the last several administrations, namely, the entrenchment of the United States as an imperial superpower with military and economic hegemony over the rest of the world. More specifically to Obama, he has also made it his war in order to avoid the charge of being soft or, put differently, it's a political calculation to stay in the White House.

The Afghan war is increasingly unpopular, and support will continue to erode as time goes on and we lose any credible narrative as to why we're there. The "withdrawal" of troops is supposed to begin in July 2011. If Obama could sucessfully extricate us from two wars, I think that would be more likely to keep him employed. I don't think he wants to preside over a failed war. So, it could be argued that exiting Afghanistan is the smart thing to do, politically.

It seems like leaving Afghanistan as a failed state controlled by the Taliban would be a disaster of epic proportions, though; our withdrawal will be as messy and heartbreaking as what's happening in Iraq right now (59 Iraqi recruits dead, 100 injured just today). There's no easy way out.

Perhaps I'm more naive than you, but I don't think that this administration is under the neocon influence, and the actual political calculus seems to be in flux. That's why I genuinely have no clear opinion about what's going on in Afghanistan right now, or how this administration is gaming it.

The Democrats have lost their base because they no longer stand for any of the principles which gave them their identity in the first place. They've abandoned their traditional commitments to labor and to the welfare state and prostituted themselves to corporations in order to subsidize election-day victories.

Let's look at recent mine safety legislation proposed in response to the Big Branch coal mine disaster: the Democrats recently passed stricter Federal safety legislation in the House without a single Republican vote. There is no chance of it passing in the Senate because not a single Republican will get on board. The Democrats back a strengthening of Federal safety laws and oversight - the Republicans lean toward voluntary corporate "oversight" (Rand Paul says that we don't need mine safety regulations at all, since workers will simply refuse to work at an unsafe mine. He is being backed by the coal industry as a result of the Citizen's United decision, as are several other industry-friendly Republicans in coal mining states). Surely you can see the dangerous level of idiocy in allowing the free market to regulate industry. There's no question which approach to Federal power will save the most lives. Now, the coal dust issue is irking: it is not being monitored in the legislation, and enforcement is being left a bit murky. "Rock dusting" standards are being tightened up, however, and that does address the issue.

So, one can criticize the Democrats and say "see, they don't care about black lung," throw them out of office and allow rampant deregulation of mining safety standards, or you can say "yes the Democrats appear to have watered down the legislation, but we must not let the imperfect be the enemy of the good." I know you don't like that kind of thinking (and those kinds of cliches), but that is how it works most of the time.

Ask miners if they prefer stricter safety codes or not. Ask workers if they want the corporations to voluntarily protect them, or if they want the Federal government to enact and enforce laws to protect them. This is a real, quantitative difference in governance between the two parties.

Because Obama is smart enough to learn from his mistakes. :pray:

I notice you used the praying emoticon, which speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the modus operandi for recent presidents? They deal with a (dis)loyal opposition, and jump from crisis to crisis.

The only president who will gain control of the narrative is the one who either gains control of the media or starts a war. Bush Jr. got that one right.

Ah, but if I read you correctly you're contradicting yourself here. The m.o. for recent Presidents is jumping from crisis to crisis, but then you point out that Bush, the guy in the oval office before Obama, gained control of the narrative. If I have understood you, this actually illustrates my point: it is not impossible for a President to take advantage of the media to lead the country in a manner consistent with his party's platforms. Obama, who has always been attacked by the right as a media creation and a charismatic figure (in the negative sense), seemed to be good at that. Now we have to remind ourselves that he's really a centrist-pragmatist?

Perhaps the reason Obama and the Democrats can't get their message out effectively is very simple: they don't have one strong enough to stick. I'm not suggesting the left should cynically exploit the media for its own gain with an aggressive campaign of lies and misinformation, as the right has done for years. But certainly they can at least cobble together a message which keeps everyone focused on the important issues and orients the debate around facts. Think about this: a recent Pew Research Center poll showed that only 34% of Americans know that the much-maligned TARP was enacted under Bush, not Obama. Only one in three!

It seems like leaving Afghanistan as a failed state controlled by the Taliban would be a disaster of epic proportions, though; our withdrawal will be as messy and heartbreaking as what's happening in Iraq right now (59 Iraqi recruits dead, 100 injured just today). There's no easy way out.

I understand this argument, and it's sound. Most people believe this. However, the argument breaks down when you consider that we shouldn't have gone in there as occupiers and nation-builders in the first place. The inevitable is inevitable. Why sacrifice more troops and gajillions of dollars in a losing effort? Why continue to fight a secret war against Pakistan? Why continue to bankrupt the nation in an unpopular conflict?

Perhaps I'm more naive than you, but I don't think that this administration is under the neocon influence

The position of the neocons was a poisonous flowering of one extremist element within an otherwise stable Washington consensus that has existed for decades. There is disagreement as to how to establish and hold American hegemony, but there is no disagreement that America should be an imperial power. Obama (and Gore, for that matter) would have started the anti-terrorism campaign after 9/11 differently than the neocons under Bush, but the broader outlines would've been similar.

One simple way to look at the matter is to think about the defense budget. Sure, it fluctuates, and some administrations are more hawkish than others, but going back for, what, thirty-five years or so, the ballooning of American military might has been consistent under Republicans and Democrats alike. Just because we're all tired of hearing about the military-industrial complex doesn't mean it has gone away. The U.S. is intent on projecting power over the rest of the world, largely in the interest of controlling economic markets and natural resources (oil). This is the strategy common to Bush and Obama.

In addition, there's one more strategy they share which is frightening: the continued roll-out and tightening of the police state under the control of the Executive Branch. But, hey, I'll pause there. I don't want to sound any more like a conspiracy theorist than I already do. :)

Let's look at recent mine safety legislation proposed in response to the Big Branch coal mine disaster: the Democrats recently passed stricter Federal safety legislation in the House without a single Republican vote. There is no chance of it passing in the Senate because not a single Republican will get on board. The Democrats back a strengthening of Federal safety laws and oversight - the Republicans lean toward voluntary corporate "oversight" (Rand Paul says that we don't need mine safety regulations at all, since workers will simply refuse to work at an unsafe mine. He is being backed by the coal industry as a result of the Citizen's United decision, as are several other industry-friendly Republicans in coal mining states). Surely you can see the dangerous level of idiocy in allowing the free market to regulate industry. There's no question which approach to Federal power will save the most lives. Now, the coal dust issue is irking: it is not being monitored in the legislation, and enforcement is being left a bit murky. "Rock dusting" standards are being tightened up, however, and that does address the issue.

So, one can criticize the Democrats and say "see, they don't care about black lung," throw them out of office and allow rampant deregulation of mining safety standards, or you can say "yes the Democrats appear to have watered down the legislation, but we must not let the imperfect be the enemy of the good." I know you don't like that kind of thinking (and those kinds of cliches), but that is how it works most of the time.

Ask miners if they prefer stricter safety codes or not. Ask workers if they want the corporations to voluntarily protect them, or if they want the Federal government to enact and enforce laws to protect them. This is a real, quantitative difference in governance between the two parties.

This is very true. I don't doubt the Democrats are different in many ways than the Republicans. As I mentioned above, I know that Obama and Gore would have steered the country in a different direction after 9/11.

Part of the problem is that the severity of our problems demand leadership the Democrats can't or won't offer. I salute the Democrats for passing the stricter safety codes and I abhor the Republicans who refused to go along with them for political reasons.

That said, I am fairly certain that if this matter had come to the attention of the major news media, and become a talking point for demagogues like Palin, the Democrats would have been backed up and probably defeated-- or, as with health care, scored a watered-down victory that would nevertheless appear to be the exact opposite in the minds of millions of Americans. So in a way you chose a great example and yet, in my opinion, a poor one, too, because part of my beef with the Democrats is that they are, for the most part, cowards and boobs who can't win the big fights. There's a massive void of leadership, starting with Obama, and they're going to pay for it in November, after which even genuinely admirable legislative victories like the one you cite will be next to impossible.

Given your suspicion and (in some cases) extreme dislike of the other side, I'm surprised you aren't angrier with the Democrats. They managed to toss the bad guys out of the ring for a few years but their incompetence is going to let them storm right back in, and this time the villains are going to be wielding steel folding chairs.

Wait, did I just compare American politics to professional wrestling? :rolleyes:

I notice you used the praying emoticon, which speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

A little comic relief never hurts.

Ah, but if I read you correctly you're contradicting yourself here. The m.o. for recent Presidents is jumping from crisis to crisis, but then you point out that Bush, the guy in the oval office before Obama, gained control of the narrative. If I have understood you, this actually illustrates my point: it is not impossible for a President to take advantage of the media to lead the country in a manner consistent with his party's platforms. Obama, who has always been attacked by the right as a media creation and a charismatic figure (in the negative sense), seemed to be good at that. Now we have to remind ourselves that he's really a centrist-pragmatist?

Well, it's not exactly a contradiction. Bush Jr. did jump from crisis to crisis, but the media was temporarily unable to respond because he started an illegal war of occupation. Bush Jr. took advantage of a catastrophe; I suppose you could say he "led" the country, but the authority granted his administration was not earned by good governance (Sept. 10th, 2001 was a headline day for Bush's sinking popularity), it was extorted.

As for Obama:

Perhaps the reason Obama and the Democrats can't get their message out effectively is very simple: they don't have one strong enough to stick. I'm not suggesting the left should cynically exploit the media for its own gain with an aggressive campaign of lies and misinformation, as the right has done for years. But certainly they can at least cobble together a message which keeps everyone focused on the important issues and orients the debate around facts. Think about this: a recent Pew Research Center poll showed that only 34% of Americans know that the much-maligned TARP was enacted under Bush, not Obama. Only one in three!

I am frustrated by this, no question. The whole Burlington Coat Factory Mosque story should be framed for what it is: a diversionary tactic for a party out of ideas.

As for the ignorance of the electorate, that is a perennial problem. More than half of Americans believe in angels, don't believe in global warming, and don't believe in evolution. Not much to work with there, I'm afraid.

I understand this argument, and it's sound. Most people believe this. However, the argument breaks down when you consider that we shouldn't have gone in there as occupiers and nation-builders in the first place. The inevitable is inevitable. Why sacrifice more troops and gajillions of dollars in a losing effort? Why continue to fight a secret war against Pakistan? Why continue to bankrupt the nation in an unpopular conflict?

No president can admit defeat - it is a political impossibility. No sitting president (and probably no party) could survive. Leaving Afghanistan open to a Taliban takeover is a nightmare that this administration should do everything in its power to avoid. I assume that they are, in fact, doing everything in their power, even though the prognosis is grim.

You could say that the war is now being fought to save face for America - it wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last. The generals are desperate to win it for reasons that are as old as time. In a more perfect world Obama would be able to declare a type of "victory" and leave, and in a more perfect world still the truth would prevail. Of course, this war should never have been prosecuted in this manner in the first place, but that is a whole other matter.

The position of the neocons was a poisonous flowering of one extremist element within an otherwise stable Washington consensus that has existed for decades. There is disagreement as to how to establish and hold American hegemony, but there is no disagreement that America should be an imperial power. Obama (and Gore, for that matter) would have started the anti-terrorism campaign after 9/11 differently than the neocons under Bush, but the broader outlines would've been similar.

American hegemony, the "Shining City on a Hill" syndrome is not unique to the US, it is symptomatic of every empire. I don't know what Gore would have done, and I get a lump in my throat just thinking about those butterfly ballots and those hanging chads. Cursed be entropy.

One simple way to look at the matter is to think about the defense budget. Sure, it fluctuates, and some administrations are more hawkish than others, but going back for, what, thirty-five years or so, the ballooning of American military might has been consistent under Republicans and Democrats alike. Just because we're all tired of hearing about the military-industrial complex doesn't mean it has gone away. The U.S. is intent on projecting power over the rest of the world, largely in the interest of controlling economic markets and natural resources (oil). This is the strategy common to Bush and Obama.

This is true, but power is exercised in different ways, and toward different ends. Perhaps it is time for the oil industry to fight their own damn wars with mercenary armies. :straightface:

...I am fairly certain that if this matter had come to the attention of the major news media, and become a talking point for demagogues like Palin, the Democrats would have been backed up and probably defeated-- or, as with health care, scored a watered-down victory that would nevertheless appear to be the exact opposite in the minds of millions of Americans. So in a way you chose a great example and yet, in my opinion, a poor one, too, because part of my beef with the Democrats is that they are, for the most part, cowards and boobs who can't win the big fights. There's a massive void of leadership, starting with Obama, and they're going to pay for it in November, after which even genuinely admirable legislative victories like the one you cite will be next to impossible.

The party in power almost always loses the midterms - only exceptional leadership skills, a great economy or a war can change that.

I'm willing to admit that Obama's style of leadership - his cool, quiet, reserved, rational approach to the presidency is not resonating right now. I still find it refreshing after eight years of bumbling, spiteful condescension, but that's just me.

Here is the crux of the problem, and it's a truism throughout history: Conservatives ALWAYS mistake belligerence for strength, always. Obama seems strong to me - when he speaks he makes sense, even if I disagree with him (and, believe me I have). However, many, many people in this country are scared, angry, tired, and impatient for action. They don't see leadership in nuance (remember when the very word "nuance" was demonized? :rolleyes:).

Many Democrats lack the courage of their convictions, some do not.

Given your suspicion and (in some cases) extreme dislike of the other side, I'm surprised you aren't angrier with the Democrats. They managed to toss the bad guys out of the ring for a few years but their incompetence is going to let them storm right back in, and this time the villains are going to be wielding steel folding chairs.

Oh, I'm angry all right: I'm angry at the Democrats for not being better fighters, I'm angry at the Republicans for turning a responsible notion of conservatism into a sociopathic religious war on all that is good about democracy in general, and America in particular. I'm angry at the American voting population for being willfully ignorant, low-information, sound bite happy ostriches who don't even vote a good deal of the time (maybe that's a good thing).

F**k it, let's dance.

18% of Americans Think Obama Is Muslim

Just about one in five. About a third of Republicans think he's Muslim.

"The view that Obama is a Muslim is more widespread among his political opponents than among his backers. Roughly a third of conservative Republicans (34%) say Obama is a Muslim, as do 30% of those who disapprove of Obama’s job performance."​

Obama can't even convince all Americans he's Christian, or at any rate not Muslim.

You can pretty much say anything you want about a cut-and-dried issue and 1 in 5 Americans will swallow it whole.

Now think about what you can get away with spinning issues that aren't cut-and-dried but complex and require knowing a larger, perhaps constantly shifting constellation of facts.

These are the people Obama is trying to reach by offering weak, dithering statements. Again: he inherited a situation he didn't create. But there it is, and he's not helping himself.

EDIT: Meanwhile, as usual, Democrats have to rely on comedians to do what their elected representatives can't; in Al Franken they are lucky to have both, of course. From another story:

Franken also alluded to the unfamiliarity with New York City that many people actually have in regard to this story. "I don't know how many of you have been to New York, but if a building is two blocks away from anything, you can't see it," said Franken.

Franken got in a joke, as well: "It's a community center. They're going to have a gym. They're going to have point guards. Muslim point guards."

On a more serious note, he also added: "They (Republicans) do this every two years. They try to find a wedge issue, and they try to work it."

Last edited:
As for the ignorance of the electorate, that is a perennial problem. More than half of Americans believe in angels, don't believe in global warming, and don't believe in evolution. Not much to work with there, I'm afraid.

I think we need to expect our elected officials to take some responsibility for this, and I was hoping Obama would do that.

No president can admit defeat - it is a political impossibility. No sitting president (and probably no party) could survive. Leaving Afghanistan open to a Taliban takeover is a nightmare that this administration should do everything in its power to avoid. I assume that they are, in fact, doing everything in their power, even though the prognosis is grim.

I question that. They've turned over the war to the Pentagon, trusting them to run it, which is like turning over the car keys to a drunk driver.

Chalmers Johnson, a well-respected ex-intelligence officer, wrote a piece detailing how his thinking about Vietnam changed over the years. At the time, he scorned the anti-war movement in the U.S. for its ignorance of what was going on in Southeast Asia. He believed (and still does believe) that communism posed a legitimate threat in the form of the Domino Theory. He was totally on board with the war. It was later, after years of working with and observing how Washington works, that he reversed his position and said he wished he'd sided with the anti-war movement. His reasoning was simple. The war was the right war to wage, but Washington could not fight it successfully because of internal problems.

In a sense, the reasons to fight in Afghanistan, though important, are less critical than understanding what a government and its military can and cannot accomplish. Nobody wants to see the Taliban regain power or women stoned to death in Kabul. The question is, can the United States do anything to prevent it?

You're right, the war should have been prosecuted differently, but that initial mistake doesn't justify making more mistakes, not when so much is at stake. The leaders of the Soviet Union didn't think one war against a peasant state would topple them, but it was a major factor in its collapse. Imperial over-reach will claim another victim, if it hasn't already.

American hegemony, the "Shining City on a Hill" syndrome is not unique to the US, it is symptomatic of every empire.

Yes, that's true. But America was not an empire, originally, though Jefferson spoke of it. The U.S. made a deliberate move to become an empire, a move it did not have to make.

Perhaps it is time for the oil industry to fight their own damn wars with mercenary armies.

They already are, practically!

The party in power almost always loses the midterms - only exceptional leadership skills, a great economy or a war can change that.

True, but when has the usurping opposition presented itself as 100% obstructionist, with no ideas or legislation to fight for? The Democrats are going to lose their majority to a party of do-nothing idiots. How grim is that?

They don't see leadership in nuance (remember when the very word "nuance" was demonized? :rolleyes:).

Well, I get what you're saying, but I think that's kind of a false problem. We can have leaders who are short on nuance and long on bluntness. Just look at the Al Franken quote I posted above. Never mind that Franken was a comedian. Any politician could've come up with what he said and make it stick. "Look, we stand for religious freedom, the city approved it, and nobody will see the Cordoba House anyway. And once again we see the Republicans rallying around a rabble-rousing propaganda campaign". You repeat that as many times as it takes until it sticks. If the other side persists, you bring up religious freedom, you trot out the big speechmakers, you ridicule the other side, you get the facts out about the people behind the project.

It just isn't that hard. Jon Stewart does it every night. People crave it, they want it. If you believe something, you come out and forcefully declare it. Make them come around to your point of view. Screw the polls. Obama can achieve everything he wants to achieve and sound like the brilliant man he is when he writes his memoirs. In the meantime he can keep his messages short and sweet, and make every one of them an uppercut against the GOP.

F**k it, let's dance.

Hey, why not, someone's already fiddling... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom