Morrissey Central France, Belgium concerts and 1 UK date announced (January 10, 2023)

morrisseyofficial-10012023-0001.jpg

official_morrissey_central-10012023-0001.jpg

Morrissey has today announced a new London headline show at Eventim Apollo on Sunday 19th March. This show is part of a European tour that includes dates in France and Belgium. Tickets for the shows go on general sale Friday 13th January at 10am (local time)
2023 Tour Dates
Wed 08 March | Paris Salle Pleyel, France
Wed 09 March | Paris Salle Pleyel, France
Sun 12 March | Lyon Amphitheatre, France
Mon 13 March Strasbourg Salle Erasme, France
Wed 15 March | Antwerp Stadsschouwburg Theatre, Belgium
Thu 16 March | Brussels Bozar Theatre, Belgium
Sun 19 March | London Eventim Apollo

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:
Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t it the first time that one of his London gigs is not sold out within a day?

I can't remember a London gig ever that was still not sold out including standing 18hrs after they went on sale.

He would have sold out a whole residency in London in less than 5mins in the old days.

I suspect a lot of those areas on the seating map upstairs that are not available have actually not gone on sale and being blocked out for possible later release or not at all.

As far as I could tell, Ticketmaster didn’t have any stall standing tickets from the off yesterday. Not everyone checking Ticketmaster would then think to try the Eventim website. I checked Ticketmaster again last night and tickets for standing were available… at £165 a pop. ‘Sold out’ and then more than twice the price will hinder sales. And its no different this morning (see screenshots)

Other factors, I reckon would include…
- folk thinking he’ll add more dates near me
- it’s a long way for him to potential cancel
- people just can’t afford it right now

View attachment 87767
View attachment 87768
and yet many other bands don't seem to be having a problem selling out UK dates like James and Suede etc. Maybe Morrissey fans are just all poor?

I can't remember a London gig ever that was still not sold out including standing 18hrs after they went on sale.

He would have sold out a whole residency in London in less than 5mins in the old days.

I suspect a lot of those areas on the seating map upstairs that are not available have actually not gone on sale and being blocked out for possible later release or not at all.
Brixton 2022
Wembley 2020
Ally Pally 2018
Brixton 2018
RAH 2018
Both Hammersmith nights 2015
O2 2014
Brixton 2011
None of the above sold out immediately. Only the palladium in 2011, 2018 & 2022 sold out on the day of sale. Though 2022 can be debated as tickets repeatedly appeared on different vendors sites after the first sale date. I would suggest there could be several factors for this.

B x

Brixton 2022
Wembley 2020
Ally Pally 2018
Brixton 2018
RAH 2018
O2 2014
Brixton 2011
None of the above sold out immediately. Only the palladium in 2011, 2018 & 2022 sold out on the day of sale. Though 2022 can be debated as tickets repeatedly appeared on different vendors sites after the first sale date. I would suggest there could be several factors for this.

B x
Can you provide details of how you are getting that information please?

Size of venue also needs to be taken into consideration with this and discarding anything since 2017 for obvious reasons.

2015 was part of a UK tour. In this case we are talking about a single UK date so you would think it would have far more attention.

You can hardly compare the O2 in 2014. That is a venue that holds 20,000 people. The Hammersmith venue holds 5000. The O2 did eventually sell out. It is unlikely he will be able to sell out this 5000 capacity venue.

Brixton 2022
Wembley 2020
Ally Pally 2018
Brixton 2018
RAH 2018
O2 2014
Brixton 2011

B x
The most telling indicator is standing tickets.

To have not sold out the floor standing section at this point is strange to say the least. They usually go very early on with seated in upper circle etc going later.

It looks like though that sections of those upper seating areas haven't been put on sale and still there is plenty of availability in those seated sections.

I think he should have stuck to smaller venues around 2k.

and yet many other bands don't seem to be having a problem selling out UK dates like James and Suede etc. Maybe Morrissey fans are just all poor?
It can be very difficult for people to find money this time of year at the best of times. Its terrible timing in regards to the sale of tickets. Many hard working people are struggling to heat their homes let alone find money for concert tickets. And if you get paid monthly its a long stretch to pay day.

It can be very difficult for people to find money this time of year at the best of times. Its terrible timing in regards to the sale of tickets. Many hard working people are struggling to heat their homes let alone find money for concert tickets. And if you get paid monthly its a long stretch to pay day.
I repeat my point:

James/Suede tickets went on sale just before Christmas which is also a hard time for people re money.

You think out of a UK population of 68 million and a London population of 9 million the reason a 5000 capacity venue hasn't sold out is because people don't have any money?

From spending stats currently they suggest people are spending more than they have in recent years. There are of course people finding it very tough but there are still large swathes of the population with no spending issues. Apparently people booking foreign summer holidays this month are very high stats wise.

Many bands have just put dates on sale and have sold out very quickly.

From the ONS this week:

Consumer Spending
All categories were above the level of spending seen in the equivalent period of 2022, with spending in "automotive fuel" and "entertainment" at 47 percentage points and 38 percentage points above this level, respectively.

Entertainment spending rose above the pre-coronavirus (COVID-19) baseline for the first time since February 2020.

I repeat my point:

James/Suede tickets went on sale just before Christmas which is also a hard time for people re money.

You think out of a UK population of 68 million and a London population of 9 million the reason a 5000 capacity venue hasn't sold out is because people don't have any money?

From spending stats currently they suggest people are spending more than they have in recent years. There are of course people finding it very tough but there are still large swathes of the population with no spending issues. Apparently people booking foreign summer holidays this month are very high stats wise.

Fair points, the period after Xmas is usually quite bleak financially. There is also the fact he toured not long ago and peope who went to those shows might not be able to justify another outlay so soon. Who knows....

I repeat my point:

Would've thought he'd sell out a 3,000 capacity London venue pretty easily. I expect he eventually will if it has yet to happen.
If sales are sluggish, I expect that's 100% to do with him having played in London just a couple of months ago. Presumably, James and Suede aren't announcing London dates having already played in London a few months before?
Edit - just found out Hammersmith is indeed a 5,000 capacity for concerts with people standing. So, that is quite big. The Morrissey London fanbase is probably around 10,000 these days (down from 20-25,000 pre-For Britain support) but that's when he hasn't played for a year or so.
However, I'm sure it will be pretty close to selling out.

It’s never going to sell out while Tickmaster are selling standing tickets for £165. Still can’t understand why they’re priced so high on there. Then again, surely people would check other ticket sellers.

Either way, doesn’t bode well for more UK shows later in the year.

It’s never going to sell out while Tickmaster are selling standing tickets for £165. Still can’t understand why they’re priced so high on there. Then again, surely people would check other ticket sellers.

Yep, fair point.
I'm guessing that means that they've sold a good number (i.e. most) at the regular price, and are just trying to make as much as possible from the remainder.
If they can't shift these then I guess they'll drop the price back down nearer the time.

Yep, fair point.
I'm guessing that means that they've sold a good number (i.e. most) at the regular price, and are just trying to make as much as possible from the remainder.
If they can't shift these then I guess they'll drop the price back down nearer the time.

Aye, except I'm not convinced Ticketmaster has sold any standing tickets. They had none 3 seconds after 10am, and showed resale only until sometime after 6pm.

How does ticket allocation work? Are all the ticket sellers working from the total available, or do they all just get a set amount. S0 500 for Eventim, 500 for SeeTickets, 500 Tickermaster, etc,.

Last edited:

I've just gone on the main venue website and standing tickets are available for £77. That's the obvious first place to look. If Ticketmaster are selling for a lot more, their allocation has presumably nearly run out.

I've just gone on the main venue website and standing tickets are available for £77. That's the obvious first place to look. If Ticketmaster are selling for a lot more, their allocation has presumably nearly run out.
It doesn't mean they are nearly sold out at all.

Ticketmaster have a new pricing model which works in a similar way to airlines where the prices will rise and may eventually come down nearer the time.

This isn't the case with seetickets which has plenty of standing tickets available.

Morrissey having played 5 months earlier in London wouldn't have usually had an impact on ticket sales. James and Suede have both played in London already but are playing again and neither have issues with ticket sales.

Yes it is a 5000 venue but that is tiny compared to the likes of his previous O2 and other arena tours. For standing to still be widely available at this point is very unusual.

I suspect it was a test to see if he could sell out something with a 5000 capacity again before any further UK dates being announced as to whether any other dates go to smaller venues or even not at all.

To not be selling out a capital city 5000 capacity venue within 4 days I think will be presenting his team with some thinking to do. The days when he could sell out a 5000 capacity London venue like Hammersmith or Brixton Academy in a matter of minutes are well gone and without the support of a record label the risks personally to him re costs are greater.

It doesn't mean they are nearly sold out at all.

Ticketmaster have a new pricing model which works in a similar way to airlines where the prices will rise and may eventually come down nearer the time.

This isn't the case with seetickets which has plenty of standing tickets available.

Morrissey having played 5 months earlier in London wouldn't have usually had an impact on ticket sales. James and Suede have both played in London already but are playing again and neither have issues with ticket sales.

Yes it is a 5000 venue but that is tiny compared to the likes of his previous O2 and other arena tours. For standing to still be widely available at this point is very unusual.

I suspect it was a test to see if he could sell out something with a 5000 capacity again before any further UK dates being announced as to whether any other dates go to smaller venues or even not at all.

To not be selling out a capital city 5000 capacity venue within 4 days I think will be presenting his team with some thinking to do. The days when he could sell out a 5000 capacity London venue like Hammersmith or Brixton Academy in a matter of minutes are well gone and without the support of a record label the risks personally to him re costs are greater.
Well I'm usually the voice of doom round here when talking about his crumbling fanbase but I really think you're exaggerating how bad things are.
The fanbase (London and national) clearly did shrink a lot in the bleak For Britain-supporting era but he is certainly in no worse a position now than the relatively successful UK tour last autumn. He hasn't done or said anything to frighten off anyone since then, and the longer he goes without expressing support for Farage/Waters etc. the more the fanbase will probably gradually recover.
The combined capacity of the London venues he played last October is 7,000 - most but not all of which were sold.
So, another 5,000 tickets in London offered barely two months later was never going to sell out quickly. Yes, he has lost fans since pre 2018 (when he could shift 15-20,000 tickets in London) but things haven't got any worse since October, and will probably continue to pick up slowly, the more time passes since the toxic For Britain era.

Tags
tour

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom