For everyone looking for the sampled song at the beginning of "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"

Love this find.

I always heard it as .. ‘just like me’.

Now it doesn’t take a stretch of the imagination to think that Morrissey likes this show tune. But still I wonder if this was added from his suggestion, or was it by chance, all caught off the radio by Nevin (?).

You can also hear James Dean as Jim Stark saying, "It's like living in zoo" or “it’s a zoo” from Rebel Without a Cause.

Last edited:
Love this find.

Now it doesn’t take a stretch of the imagination to think that Morrissey likes this show tune. But still I wonder if this was added from his suggestion, or was it by chance, all caught off the radio by Nevin (?).
According to this post (https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=82231#unread), Morrissey said he was just playing with the radio and didn't know what the song was. But as The Wild Turkey just pointed out the opening lyrics are VERY fitting. If by chance, this is a very wild coincidence

The site above is relying on sistasheila's translation of the Spex article (2006) back here in 2008. However, the translated Spex interview is at odds with Alain & Nevin. He also said it in one translated interview - nowhere else.
FWD.

Edit:
Alain contradicts Morrissey's interview:

Screenshot_20220816-194912~2.png

Good catch - hopefully no one starts legal action with a copyright claim now!

Wow!!! I always wanted to know!! Ava Gardner, what a surprise! A movie goddess!!

Incredible! I've wanted to know this since 1992. How did @realfundip solve this? If I casually heard the Ava Gardner song, I probably wouldn't have made the connection.

Is that at the start? My ears must be a bit duff and deaf.
No - it's kind of in the middle to the end. If you listen very closely, you'll definitely hear "Zoo" and I recognized it from Rebel Without a Cause.

Incredible! I've wanted to know this since 1992. How did @realfundip solve this? If I casually heard the Ava Gardner song, I probably wouldn't have made the connection.
Funny enough, I wasn't deliberately searching. I just happened to be watching the 1936 version of Show Boat because of my fascination with Jerome Kern's work. I had always heard of the song Bill but hadn't listened to it until Helen Morgan started singing it in the movie. As soon as she sung at the end "because he's just my Bill" I knew it was the song. I just had to find out which version. I found that video after searching through many different singers, it turns out it was actually a very popular song back in the day.

Love this find.

Me too.

Wonder if them intro lines inspired the song
"I used to dream that I would discover
The perfect lover someday"

Heck of a catch!

!!!! Oh oh Moz Nobody, nobody, nobody says like him!! it is certainly the best of all

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom