Fiona Dodwell: "Your Arsenal: Revisiting Morrissey’s Iconic Album" (July 27, 2021)

Your Arsenal: Revisiting Morrissey’s Iconic Album

Revisiting Morrissey’s Your Arsenal As It Turns 29
When Morrissey parted ways with fellow band members of The Smiths in 1987, few could’ve predicted in which direction his music career would go. Would the solo Morrissey “sound” be vastly different from the iconic band? Few doubted that Morrissey’s unique blend of onstage charisma, vocal style and witty, raw lyrics were integral to the overall appeal of The Smiths — yet there was still the question of how he was going to carve out his own place, as he stood facing his future as a solo artist.

Regards,
FWD.

I really, really, try to like her writing and then I run into claptrap like

“The music does the loudest talking, though, as it always has done”.

Alan Partridge would be too embarrassed to utter this stuff.

Nothing too objectionable in this piece, but also nothing particularly insightful.

Any discussion of this album really should place a lot more focus on Mick Ronson's role and the praise that he deservedly received in the press.

Honestly, I also write funny posts and know a lot about Morrissey and stuff. And I'm German, which makes it all the more amazing. No one would put me on the front page if I said Maladjusted is better than WPINOYB, LIHS or IANADOAC and wrote heartwarming blog posts about it (Which I do in secret of course).
In my opinion Maladjusted is better that WPINOYB.

edit: I'll add to that, that there are many songs that I love on WPINOYB, but I'll put the seventeen from Maladjusted up against the seventeen of WPINOYB any day of the week. Some battles will be won and lost on both sides, but I just have too much fondness for the Lillywhite/Alain Whyte era I guess.

Last edited:
But we need to know if this a masterpiece of journalism 🎬

Or just a piece of coors cardboard
Ready for the ash box 🗑🗑🗑
I am sure she seems to forget kill uncle came before this album or am I mis remembering, God knows it was forgettable although it has a fond place as my commute to work cassette perfect length.

I love her. After all the anti-Morrissey crap I see everywhere, she's a breath of fresh air.
The anti moz crap is bad. But she's worse. She's only for moz now, cause he pays her. Grow the f*** up.
Alain is back, mozzers memory goes to his first lp with him.
He gets someone to ask fiona to write this.
She's like Katen.
A recent "fan" who has no real shared history with the music ,the gigs etc.
Actually,she's worse than Karen as she isn't even a fan she's a pretend one

If only she knew what she was on about .

The anti moz crap is bad. But she's worse. She's only for moz now, cause he pays her. Grow the f*** up.
She's like Katen.

:rolleyes:
you dont make an iota of sense, try taking the McMuffin out of your mouth FFS:hammer:

She's like Katen.

I'm not a recent fan. I've listened to his music since I was a toddler & been to his gigs since I was a teenager. I just didn't post about him until it seemed like an emergency - it's possible that everyone could have dropped him; musicians, venues, management, retailers & we could have spent his last years hearing that he was exactly like Skrewdriver, with no gigs & no music.

In my opinion Maladjusted is better that WPINOYB.
Maladjusted is an excellent album whereas WPINOYB is embarassing, it is like by people who have no taste in music or who was into Morrissey like some people are deeply immersed into a religion

Honestly, I also write funny posts and know a lot about Morrissey and stuff. And I'm German, which makes it all the more amazing. No one would put me on the front page if I said Maladjusted is better than WPINOYB, LIHS or IANADOAC and wrote heartwarming blog posts about it (Which I do in secret of course).
Where is your blog? I'd like to read it.

She writes like she has and knows the history. She hadn’t even heard of it two years ago and she’s now telling everyone why we love it. Next she will be telling us it’s underrated. Oh, hang on. Insufferable woman

Great album and god bless Our Price x
The public is renewed. Believe it or not, new people are born every year, they grow and they listen to "new" music. It's the law of life.

I'm not a recent fan. I've listened to his music since I was a toddler & been to his gigs since I was a teenager. I just didn't post about him until it seemed like an emergency - it's possible that everyone could have dropped him; musicians, venues, management, retailers & we could have spent his last years hearing that he was exactly like Skrewdriver, with no gigs & no music.
Toddler ?

Toddler ?

Yes! My older sister played the Smiths constantly when she was trying to impress a boy, then dumped all of the albums in my room when that went wrong. I didn't know records were made by people at the time, so I was listening to him for years before I knew he existed. He was a voice in the corner of my room. I was quite obsessed with Death of A Disco Dancer. Then when I was 14 we did a production of A Taste of Honey & my teacher told me that Morrissey referenced the play a lot in his work - so that's when I got interested in his solo stuff.

The word “emergency” got me 🤣
I’m sure Karen said she has seen half a dozen gigs or so , which makes her often deluded defensive tirades, all the more odd
I’m sure Karen is a really pretty girl blah blah blah, but: :hammer:
It worries me how much the Croat has gotten to you. Most of your posts now reference his style/histrionics/wording or he himself. Free yourself, be yourself…

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom