Fiona Dodwell: "Why An Unsigned Morrissey Proves A Lack Of True Diversity In Music" (February 5, 2023)

1_Y5Kugkm7G24X9rTx-Sb27A~2.jpg

"An Opinion Piece by Fiona Dodwell"

Excerpt:

"What was to become of the unreleased 14th solo album? Fans desperately wanted the songs then, as they do now. Morrissey evidently remains committed to releasing them. So, why is there still a barrier, even today, preventing the release of this much sought after project? Who or what stands between the fans and the songs? Why has Bonfire Of Teenagers not been signed, sealed and distributed across the world? The answer might be more unsettling than we like to think."

Regards,
FWD.

Can't be bothered pointing out everything that is wrong with the article so will simply highlight the main and irrefutable point.

If Moz records made money, they'd be released.

He keeps getting dropped because he wants the treatment/promo of a Rolls Royce artist when his product only sells at Lada levels.
Bingo #2

Can't be bothered pointing out everything that is wrong with the article so will simply highlight the main and irrefutable point.

If Moz records made money, they'd be released.

He keeps getting dropped because he wants the treatment/promo of a Rolls Royce artist when his product only sells at Lada levels.
I think that may be a bit simplistic in these censorious times. For example, Graham Linehan has found it impossible to get Father Ted The Musical put on, despite its obvious money-making potential. Post-pandemic musicals remain big money-spinners for London theatres. It appears no promoter wants to be associated with someone who has been labelled 'transphobic', even though he isn't. Same with Morrissey. The record labels are reluctant to go near an artist who has been labelled 'far right', even though he isn't. And that's before you consider what the title song of BOT is 'about', and all the obvious sensitivities of that subject. I don't think it is just a question of sales.

I think that may be a bit simplistic in these censorious times. For example, Graham Linehan has found it impossible to get Father Ted The Musical put on, despite its obvious money-making potential. Post-pandemic musicals remain big money-spinners for London theatres. It appears no promoter wants to be associated with someone who has been labelled 'transphobic', even though he isn't. Same with Morrissey. The record labels are reluctant to go near an artist who has been labelled 'far right', even though he isn't. And that's before you consider what the title song of BOT is 'about', and all the obvious sensitivities of that subject. I don't think it is just a question of sales.
He was dropped from EMI, picked up and then dropped by RCA, picked up and then dropped by Island; all before the year 2000, all before 'Woke'.

Reason? Lack of Sales.

In fact, I wonder if he holds the record for an artist being dropped by the most number of record labels of all time.

He was dropped from EMI, picked up and then dropped by RCA, picked up and then dropped by Island; all before the year 2000, all before 'Woke'.

Reason? Lack of Sales.

In fact, I wonder if he holds the record for an artist being dropped by the most number of record labels of all time.
Picked up by just about any big record label on the planet.
Reason: He's a major artist with a fantastic back catalogue.

Fiona's public diary entries aside: Morrissey needs a big, fat hit. A tune that any idiot can whistle along to. Something like "The kid's a hooker" or "Sure enough the telephone sings".

Then cancels.

Yes, that certainly upsets people. Though, have you ever fallen ill while travelling?

***VERY PLAUSIBLE SCENARIO AHEAD***
He still tours though, even after he cancels some dates. And he still comes back in the following year, with another tour of some continental region, somewhere. Don't blink....because he'll be back on tour again after that. And yes - you guessed right - during all of these hypothetical 'future tours', he cancels several shows.

The reality of the situation is that Morrissey (as he has done since the early days of The Smiths) has burned his bridges with numerous record labels / producers / company execs / lawyers / management etc etc you can only do that / be indulged for so long when album sales & associated products give you the cloak of invincibility as you ride the crest of the wave

Can keep saying that an artist such as Morrissey should always be respected / have a place in the music world , but if by his own words & actions he’s timed out all the avenues that could assist him, then he has 2 choices , atonement / diplomacy on a scale to win back over the doubters / get himself another chance.

self finance / go completely DIY

I still say until he puts his hands up and retracts his support For Britain / rows back his comments on Islam / race, he has little chance of positive press / music industry buyin (certainly in the U.K.

He could also do without surrounding himself without yes men / family , who aren’t helping.

& if he could do something about the album & single cover artwork, it makes you weep looking back at the iconic images of the smiths / his early solo stuff and comparing with the last few album covers especially

Now it does, but initially it said Capitol Music.
Morrissey has yet to self release music. If he ever will.

So other than Morrissey saying he's signed to Capitol, there doesn't appear to be anything official from Capitol anywhere, as far as I can see. There's also never been anything official from Capitol about Morrissey leaving them either, as far as I can see. It's all very odd.

So other than Morrissey saying he's signed to Capitol, there doesn't appear to be anything official from Capitol anywhere, as far as I can see. There's also never been anything official from Capitol about Morrissey leaving them either, as far as I can see. It's all very odd.
The only official thing has been the release of the single.
After that the relation soured, I suspect because of the promotion of the single or the Miley-thing, we will probably never know.

The only official thing has been the release of the single.
After that the relation soured, I suspect because of the promotion of the single or the Miley-thing, we will probably never know.

Don't you find it odd that Capitol never announced his arrival nor him leaving the label?

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom