Fiona Dodwell: "Why An Unsigned Morrissey Proves A Lack Of True Diversity In Music" (February 5, 2023)

1_Y5Kugkm7G24X9rTx-Sb27A~2.jpg

"An Opinion Piece by Fiona Dodwell"

Excerpt:

"What was to become of the unreleased 14th solo album? Fans desperately wanted the songs then, as they do now. Morrissey evidently remains committed to releasing them. So, why is there still a barrier, even today, preventing the release of this much sought after project? Who or what stands between the fans and the songs? Why has Bonfire Of Teenagers not been signed, sealed and distributed across the world? The answer might be more unsettling than we like to think."

Regards,
FWD.

Can't be bothered pointing out everything that is wrong with the article so will simply highlight the main and irrefutable point.

If Moz records made money, they'd be released.

He keeps getting dropped because he wants the treatment/promo of a Rolls Royce artist when his product only sells at Lada levels.

It is a bit like reading a school essay. And since when is You Have Killed Me about being bullied at school? Sorry, 'rumoured' to be about being bullied at school.

It's really hard to understand, why record companies are finally not softening up and lining up after Dodwell's hard-hitting reckoning with the laws of the record industry.
61 likes and encouraging comments on twitter like "Very well put", "Absolutely bang on", "Brilliant" or "Nailed it" speak a clear language. The record industry must listen!

Last edited:
This section slightly baffles me:

Eh? Is she getting confused with 'The Headmaster Ritual?' With all it's talk of being 'entered' I presumed 'You Have Killed Me' was a song about gay sex? What the heck has it got to do with being bullied at school? :squiffy:
This more than anything convinces me that Fiona is actually an AI program.

Does it even matter (anymore) that Morrissey isn't signed?
More propaganda from this half wit f***tard. Morrissey, just go away. YOU ruined your own career. Own it.

His career is not over. He never was hugely popular, even though he remains very special.

The die-hard fans have always been his support system, and most of us have stayed supportive.

Self Release - we will buy it! Keep performing!

Does it even matter (anymore) that Morrissey isn't signed?

His career is not over. He never was hugely popular, even though he remains very special.

The die-hard fans have always been his support system, and most of us have stayed supportive.

Self Release - we will buy it! Keep performing!
I disagree. But I only slept 2 hours last night so I cannot elaborate more. He'll be fine.

Can't be bothered pointing out everything that is wrong with the article so will simply highlight the main and irrefutable point.

If Moz records made money, they'd be released.

He keeps getting dropped because he wants the treatment/promo of a Rolls Royce artist when his product only sells at Lada levels.

He also tours!

Yes Morrissey is missing the real opportunity to do this without a record label. Do a pre order to see how many CD's or LP's you need to press, set a date for all orders. Once completed send a download to all investors so they can listen until their CD/LP is printed and distributed. Tons of bands are doing this all the time, with large quantities and cut out the middle man. Print some extras for the tours and use your pots for the next one.

Some of her articles, like this one, are just a big waste of time. Morrissey does not need a major label to perform any of these tasks for him. She should change the subject now.

Morrissey has never ever been mainstream, but without an artist like Morrissey's contributions to music, we don't have 'music' that we have today - or at the very least Morrissey has helped music evolve in the last 40 years just by influencing plenty of other artists.

As we already know, Morrissey often harkens back to the days of old, older values/standards. Sadly, he expects labels today to appreciate the type of legendary artist he truly is, as they would have (somewhat) in previous decades. It's just not that kind of society anymore, especially within music. But...he still doesn't need them now (no way) like he would've as a 29 year old - he has enough fans, enough connections. He could still gain new fans as well, at least from his historical discography. Even if nothing new is ever released again, Morrissey's existing discography speaks for itself - and people will still want to see him perform.

Yes Morrissey is missing the real opportunity to do this without a record label. Do a pre order to see how many CD's or LP's you need to press, set a date for all orders. Once completed send a download to all investors so they can listen until their CD/LP is printed and distributed. Tons of bands are doing this all the time, with large quantities and cut out the middle man. Print some extras for the tours and use your pots for the next one.
This is short sighted lol. I do not want to diminish the earnestness of your opinion here, but doing this would reduce his social capital significantly. Morrissey is not a failed 2nd tier indie artist that has been recently dropped by Sub Pop. Doing as you suggest would be akin to a band like Death Cab for Cutie coming in hot with 12k copies of a new 5 song EP because the band managed to hoodwink 4 to 6 investors with cash to spare and nostalgia for those days when they used to hang out in the band vip at Primavera.

What needs to happen first is reorientation of the narrative.

This section slightly baffles me:

Eh? Is she getting confused with 'The Headmaster Ritual?' With all it's talk of being 'entered' I presumed 'You Have Killed Me' was a song about gay sex? What the heck has it got to do with being bullied at school? :squiffy:

Pasolini hits MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Magnani....I'll see YOU at 3! (in science class).

Last edited:
Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom