Fiona Dodwell: "The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry" (May 31, 2021)

The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry

It seems inconceivable to his fans that Morrissey still has yet to find a label to work with on his upcoming record, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Now linked to by Central (June 1, 2021)

Regards,
FWD.

In order to sell more, he would very likely have to compromise his work thus losing the fans he has. The music industry would insist on more and more control with every record. Who are we to say that the balance he has found, when most artists either die or burn out by his age, is not the best he could possibly do with the music industry in ruin? He has done better than 90 percent. He is alive, working, surrounded by bandmates and friends who are protective and has mostly kept the ideals that make him unique to fans. And his voice sounds great!

I also think most bands who raise funds for records or start their own label are secretly bought by the industry. There's no telling how far the corruption goes. I don't know his strategy behind forcing labels to sign him but it is funny that they do every time 😄 He's making them foot the bill. I'm really enjoying watching his process.
Fair point, but I think he's not selling because of his interviews and support for "For Britain". I just wish he would do an interview to clear up his beliefs to the fans that has left. But I always expect his next interview to be a car crash.

The good thing about Dodders' articles is they're always brief, I hope Moz isn't paying her.

Someone should tell her she's part of the problem....while Morrissey presses the "self destruct" button on his own career.
This is ultimately the saddest thing - she thinks she's helping him. Morrissey's career at this point is the equivalent of the Titanic - it's hit the iceberg, and is sinking fast, whilst Cap'n Moz stands on the bridge, oblivious to the rising water around his feet and the hordes of ex-fans deserting him and jumping overboard. The very last thing he needs at this point are well-meaning sycophants like Dodwell telling him everything is fine, how much a genius he is, and blowing smoke up his arse.

We never really get the whole story when he leaves a record company but it seems to happen frequently and usually on bad terms. While he's with them he blames them for lack of promotion but also seems to refuse to cooperate.
At this point anyone signing him would have to be aware that it's going to be more effort than other options they have, will likely end with him trashing them publicly, and won't likely sell enough to make it worth the extra trouble. On top of that, while Morrissey hasn't been cancelled, exactly, the possibility of it is always there every time he speaks. That means a potential mess for them to have to clean up.
I think that without a record label he doesn't feel that it's actually official. But that seems to be the only thing he gets for signing with one.
At this point he's risking this new record being leaked.
He's having the same struggle that Prince and George Michael did but handling it better. If he was selling more, they'd want to use him up and throw him out like them. You have to ask the question: what is he not cooperating with? There lies the answer to everything. Anyone can be a slave to the industry or just get out. He's walking a fine line.

Fair point, but I think he's not selling because of his interviews and support for "For Britain". I just wish he would do an interview to clear up his beliefs to the fans that has left. But I always expect his next interview to be a car crash.
Has anyone tracked how many fans he's lost since then? I was an ex-fan last year (from his hey day) and a coworker told me about For Britain just before IANaDoAC came out. I read an article about it then went to YT and found a Larry King interview with him that made it very clear he's not racist. People see what the media tells them to see. I do think people will come around though and maybe he'll win some new fans in the wellness community. Meanwhile Morrissey will keep playing his well orchestrated game.

You and your COMPLETE LACK OF SELF-AWARENESS make me want to tear my hair out. How can one really be so oblivious to and uninterested in one’s own behaviour as you are? I guess the answer lies in the fact that you block anyone that calls you out, until it’s just you and your bubble of anger and hatred.

Very commendable post Salsa. :thumb:
very well thought out and sensible.:hammer:

Has anyone tracked how many fans he's lost since then? I was an ex-fan last year (from his hey day) and a coworker told me about For Britain just before IANaDoAC came out. I read an article about it then went to YT and found a Larry King interview with him that made it very clear he's not racist. People see what the media tells them to see. I do think people will come around though and maybe he'll win some new fans in the wellness community. Meanwhile Morrissey will keep playing his well orchestrated game.

I don't and never have thought he was racist, however I do think he's out of touch and misinformed. The moment he mentioned the Anne Marie Waters stuff at the Maida Vale was absolutely stupid, a number of people on here were listening live and we were all commenting in disbelief. Did he think he was capturing the mood of his fans or was he told it would be a good idea to say it, who knows, whatever it was, that's when the noise started, add to that the support for Tommy Robinson a year later and well, we are are where we are now.

With his money, can't he create his own label?
Of course he could but that would cost money. If music was the most important thing to Moz he'd self release it instead of needing a record label to massage his ego. He falls out with every record company. Why would anyone even consider 'working' with him. I hope I'm totally wrong. He could afford to be a walking egomaniacal hedgehog if he sold millions of albums. Then he would just be a 'diva' instead of a 'pain in the hole' for record companies.

Of course he could but that would cost money. If music was the most important thing to Moz he'd self release it instead of needing a record label to massage his ego. He falls out with every record company. Why would anyone even consider 'working' with him. I hope I'm totally wrong. He could afford to be a walking egomaniacal hedgehog if he sold millions of albums. Then he would just be a 'diva' instead of a 'pain in the hole' for record companies.

I don't get his stance on this. Sleeper, who had a few hits in 90's and a decentish following, self funded and distributed their new album in 2018 through pledge music and managed to get it to number 18 in the charts. There's no reason at all why he couldn't
do this.

I don't get his stance on this. Sleeper, who had a few hits in 90's and a decentish following, self funded and distributed their new album in 2018 through pledge music and managed to get it to number 18 in the charts. There's no reason at all why he could do this.
I think it boils down to his old fashioned views on how music is supposed to be released. I used to get it, but now it’s starting to get a bit silly. And not at all in line with his rebelliousness and ‘I am not a dog on a chain’ stance.

I think it boils down to his old fashioned views on how music is supposed to be released. I used to get it, but now it’s starting to get a bit silly. And not at all in line with his rebelliousness and ‘I am not a dog on a chain’ stance.

You're probably right but when your options are limited you have to think differently.

Sure Enough, The Fiona Rings

Why is the existence of another text by this sycophant mentioned in a news article on morrissey-solo?
That said, you're all right, a label is gonna think twice before signing a one-off deal with that album; the dread of facing a devastating controversy thanks to a offensive quote of Morrissey would bomb the release of the album and divide the potential sales by 2 even more. Imagine a label asking Morrissey, right we'd like to work with you only if you sign a document saying you won't make any political comment anymore, and if you do during the promotion, you won't get any penny.

don't worry Morrissey will find a label to license his future recordings

You're probably right but when your options are limited you have to think differently.
Exactly. And frankly he would probably like it all a whole lot more if he didn’t have to pander to record company execs.

is she after a free back stage pass to a Morrissey show? does she want to be his best friend?
they have never met and M doesnt have any uk shows planned so why would she be looking for a ticket for an imaginary show.

I don't and never have thought he was racist, however I do think he's out of touch and misinformed. The moment he mentioned the Anne Marie Waters stuff at the Maida Vale was absolutely stupid, a number of people on here were listening live and we were all commenting in disbelief. Did he think he was capturing the mood of his fans or was he told it would be a good idea to say it, who knows, whatever it was, that's when the noise started, add to that the support for Tommy Robinson a year later and well, we are are where we are now.
And his support of her is mainly due to supporting the borders issue, correct?

Because it seems he supports issues rather than parties. I feel he likely knew better than us the backlash he would receive. He's closer to the noise living in LA. When you are in the thick of it, you know.

What baffles me is his autobiography is full of complaints about record companies not doing enough promotion for him, and he hasn't stopped complaining about this issue since 2013. He really has to ask himself what exactly being on a record label does for him at this stage in his career.

And his support of her is mainly due to supporting the borders issue, correct?

Because it seems he supports issues rather than parties. I feel he likely knew better than us the backlash he would receive. He's closer to the noise living in LA. When you are in the thick of it, you know.

No, not correct.

He supported her because she said the media was smearing her as a racist because she'd talked about things like fgm - she'd also been posting a lot about animal rights on her Facebook - which is probably where one of his relatives found her.

Hadley Freeman had called him a racist for denouncing halal slaughter in 2016 & he found it confusing when he's against all slaughter. So - Anne Marie's claims resonated.

If borders mattered to him he wouldn't have preferred Jeremy Corbyn over Theresa May in 2017.

He's obsessed with veganism - unfortunately the press find it completely boring & try to make him fit into hot topics like immigration or Me Too which he has almost no interest in.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom