Fiona Dodwell: "Sing Your Life: How Morrissey Became Music’s Greatest Lyricist" (December 21, 2022)

1_CNIIwhX1GtSDsKnMGFbOVg~2.jpg

Sing Your Life: How Morrissey Became Music’s Greatest Lyricist

Was hoping for a Bonfire review...
Ah well.
FWD.

Update:
Added as a post on Morrissey Central:
THE SINGING VOICE IS LOVE - December 22, 2022

Last edited:
Her praise for Autobiography I don't understand. I found it bland.

I can't read that entire thing, she is extremely annoying.
The Wilde influence is very hard to miss. If you read enough of an author you can mimic their style and I believe that is what happened here. Morrissey also outright steals lines, so some of this genius is not even him. There is no denying he is a great lyricist, one of the best we had (past tense), but he no longer has that talent, it left him a long time ago.

Moz's autobiography...I found it bland. Fiona praises it. I thought it was okay. Some of it was interesting, but I had hoped for a more salacious book.
Love the guy and all, but I really thought he came over like a wanker. I really wanted it to be good, I really really really did but in the end, he just seemed so fecking sad and empty. The way he tried to create a reality where all his West Coast fans look like 50s Hollywood idol looking Latinos who are ready to fight When the fecking reality is so different. The way he made out Jake was in love with him. When really he was a junkie grifter using M. Anyone who knows anything about M and then reads the book knows the wishful thinking is insane .
Fiona's articles are an extension of that, if you want to know how M wants to be remembered read her articles. He pays her to write them and he tells her what to write.
A desperate man. Luv his singing voice though. One of the best

Autobiography is my bed mate.

So much to read into .
Maybe you lumps miss things .

It says everything to me that I need
To know.

I do, think his Smiths writing was some of the best pop lyric writing out there .
The trouble is too much of his post Smiths writing has proved to be weak .

When I went to Smiths gigs and his early solo gigs . I did think he was one of the best writers ever .
I can't consider him "the best ' now .
If it wasn't for his voice and his Smiths writing he would be laughed out of town We all know that deep down.
I don't think he can be considered up there with Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell. Not really .You would be a fool to pretend otherwise
I think Brett Anderson's writing post 50s has been better Than Ms. I'm not that much of a Brett fan either

I do, think his Smiths writing was some of the best pop lyric writing out there .
The trouble is too much of his post Smiths writing has proved to be weak .

When I went to Smiths gigs and his early solo gigs . I did think he was one of the best writers ever .
I can't consider him "the best ' now .
If it wasn't for his voice and his Smiths writing he would be laughed out of town We all know that deep down.
I don't think he can be considered up there with Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell. Not really .You would be a fool to pretend otherwise
I think Brett Anderson's writing post 50s has been better Than Ms. I'm not that much of a Brett fan either
You on the Coors son 🤷🏻‍♂️

Code:
Medium is popular for its Partner Program, and with good reason! Based on my data, writers can expect to earn between $4.32 and $8.19 per 1,000 views on their Medium articles, per month.

LOLing at how Fiona can describe Moz as "music's greatest lyricist" and in the same article extol the virtues of him singing this:

And as for you in your uniform, you think you can be rude to me? / Because you wear a uniform, a smelly uniform, so you think you can be rude to me…

(For the record, he's my favourite lyricist, but that's another thing entirely.)

These awful articles are just a poor exercise in SEO, yet they still don't turn up on the front page of Google. In fact, someone else's Medium article shows up before Fiona's does.

Love the guy and all, but I really thought he came over like a wanker. I really wanted it to be good, I really really really did but in the end, he just seemed so fecking sad and empty. The way he tried to create a reality where all his West Coast fans look like 50s Hollywood idol looking Latinos who are ready to fight When the fecking reality is so different. The way he made out Jake was in love with him. When really he was a junkie grifter using M. Anyone who knows anything about M and then reads the book knows the wishful thinking is insane .
Fiona's articles are an extension of that, if you want to know how M wants to be remembered read her articles. He pays her to write them and he tells her what to write.
A desperate man. Luv his singing voice though. One of the best
dont you be holding back now dick.

The asslicking continues... Surely even Morrissey must be tired of this by now?

Having read the article again, I'm coming around to Redacted's thinking that Fiona doesn't actually listen to Morrissey.

I mean, come on, "compared to Oscar Wilde". Everyone and their dog knows that Moz was heavily influenced by Wilde and lifts words from Wilde's writing for use in his lyrics. She'll be patronisingly informing us, as if she discovered it, that Moz was heavily influenced by Shelagh Delany and Bowie next.

Having read the article again, I'm coming around to Redacted's thinking that Fiona doesn't actually listen to Morrissey.

I mean, come on, "compared to Oscar Wilde". Everyone and their dog knows that Moz was heavily influenced by Wilde and lifts words from Wilde's writing for use in his lyrics. She'll be patronisingly informing us, as if she discovered it, that Moz was heavily influenced by Shelagh Delany and Bowie next.
What words of Oscar's has moz lifted?? I don't find his writing style similar to Oscar's AT ALL. and I KNOW Oscar.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom