Fiona Dodwell: "Sing Your Life: How Morrissey Became Music’s Greatest Lyricist" (December 21, 2022)

1_CNIIwhX1GtSDsKnMGFbOVg~2.jpg

Sing Your Life: How Morrissey Became Music’s Greatest Lyricist

Was hoping for a Bonfire review...
Ah well.
FWD.

Update:
Added as a post on Morrissey Central:
THE SINGING VOICE IS LOVE - December 22, 2022

Last edited:
161 likes and 44 retweets on Twitter, might just be enough for a proper "Success" headline on Central.

Last edited:
LOLing at how Fiona can describe Moz as "music's greatest lyricist" and in the same article extol the virtues of him singing this:

And as for you in your uniform, you think you can be rude to me? / Because you wear a uniform, a smelly uniform, so you think you can be rude to me…

(For the record, he's my favourite lyricist, but that's another thing entirely.)
He's written some hilariously bad lyrics

He has also written some of the best lyrics in music

Full disclosure: I love Tony the pony

Oh dear. More nonsense from ‘new friend on the payroll’
What rot this is.
Trite, stream of consciousness rubbish making ridiculous claims. The work speaks for itself, lyrics have been in decline since 21st century began, sadly.
‘Wake me up when it’s over’ as Moz said in Select magazine about Madchester bands…

He's written some hilariously bad lyrics

He has also written some of the best lyrics in music

Full disclosure: I love Tony the pony
Oh yeah, I love some of his worst lyrics, even songs that just repeat the same (e.g. Kiss Me A Lot).

Tony the Pony is a great song.

What words of Oscar's has moz lifted?? I don't find his writing style similar to Oscar's AT ALL. and I KNOW Oscar.
Agreed. Stylisticly Moz´s lyrics are very clearly indebted to 60s ´kitchen sink´dramatists like Shelagh Delaney, with even a touch of Joe Orton at times. Sweet and Tender Hooligan is very Joe Orton. Where you can see the influence of Wilde though is when Moz is at his witty best in some of the classic interviews. It´s been a while since we had one of those.

He's a great lyricist but he's got no filter. On the most recent album there's some great stuff like Once I Saw The River Clean and some absolute garbage like repeating 'Ruth is John' for what felt like 329 times.

In the title she calls him the greatest and in the subtitle he's immediately relegated to 'one of the best....according to his fans'

Every lyricist is one of the best, even if it's the #14,778th best, still one of the best.

Thus this claim is meaningless, much like the author.

Greatest lyricists of the English language:
Nick Cave
Ian Curtis
Scott Walker
Morrissey
Robert Smith
Leonard Cohen
Conor Oberst
David Eugene Edwards
Bruce Springsteen
Kris Kristofferson
Willie Nelson
Jason Molina
Hank Williams

Greatest lyricists of the English language:
Nick Cave
Ian Curtis
Scott Walker
Morrissey
Robert Smith
Leonard Cohen
Conor Oberst
David Eugene Edwards
Bruce Springsteen
Kris Kristofferson
Willie Nelson
Jason Molina
Hank Williams
What, no Dylan?

What, no Dylan?
Never been a massive fan. He’s too abstract for me. He doesn’t move me. But sure, he’s great at what he does and it’s not hard to see why he’s been as insanely influential as he has.

Who are you missing, @Aubrey McFate ?

It wasn't who was missing. I was more reacting to the inclusion of Robert Smith and Conor Oberst. Not that I've heard a great lot of their lyrics, mind you, but much of what I've heard is abysmal. Was Fiona Dodwell ever a singer in a band? Because I think she could out-lyricize Robert Smith.

After Morrissey, I would rate John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Michael Stipe, Neil Young, and Chrissie Hynde.

It wasn't who was missing. I was more reacting to the inclusion of Robert Smith and Conor Oberst. Not that I've heard a great lot of their lyrics, mind you, but much of what I've heard is abysmal. Was Fiona Dodwell ever a singer in a band? Because I think she could out-lyricize Robert Smith.

After Morrissey, I would rate John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Michael Stipe, Neil Young, and Chrissie Hynde.
Abysmal? Really? I wouldn’t call the lyrics to Faith or The Same Deep Water As You abysmal. Same goes for Ladder Song and To Death’s Heart.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom