Fiona Dodwell: In Conversation With Morrissey - full interview (April 3, 2023)

Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023

Excerpt:

"After his recent concert at London’s Hammersmith Apollo, I met with Morrissey backstage, and we acknowledged the difficulties he has faced by not “playing the game” of appeasing the media, or aligning himself with whatever the fashionable movement of the day is. “But you’re not a pop puppet, and you never could be,” I said, and he readily agreed. The truth is, perhaps, that to be the direct and authentic artist he is was never actually a choice. Morrissey is simply himself, fully and wholly, and it is that which likely resonates with his audience, who cling to him in their droves and travel the world for a glimpse of their idol. Truth is not always easy to come by in this world, and when people see it and feel it, they are drawn to it. They want to feel it, up close and personal."

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023

Excerpt:

"After his recent concert at London’s Hammersmith Apollo, I met with Morrissey backstage, and we acknowledged the difficulties he has faced by not “playing the game” of appeasing the media, or aligning himself with whatever the fashionable movement of the day is. “But you’re not a pop puppet, and you never could be,” I said, and he readily agreed. The truth is, perhaps, that to be the direct and authentic artist he is was never actually a choice. Morrissey is simply himself, fully and wholly, and it is that which likely resonates with his audience, who cling to him in their droves and travel the world for a glimpse of their idol. Truth is not always easy to come by in this world, and when people see it and feel it, they are drawn to it. They want to feel it, up close and personal."

Good interview. Moz seems more forgiving of Rough Trade now than he was in the 80's and in his early post-Smiths years. I guess he's entitled to change his mind now that he has experience of other record labels.

I do wish he'd consider self-releasing the new album(s) though. They'd sell out at every concert. I can't imagine the thrill of attending a Moz concert AND getting a new album.

It seems that Moz assumed that Bonfire is cloistered and will only be freed with the death of himself OMG!!!¡!

It seems that Moz assumed that Bonfire is cloistered and will only be freed with the death of himself OMG!!!¡!
Such an odd, lovely turn of phrase.

Good interview. Moz seems more forgiving of Rough Trade now than he was in the 80's and in his early post-Smiths years. I guess he's entitled to change his mind now that he has experience of other record labels.

I do wish he'd consider self-releasing the new album(s) though. They'd sell out at every concert. I can't imagine the thrill of attending a Moz concert AND getting a new album.
I don't suppose sales of a new album at Morrissey concerts would count towards chart placings, and we know how important the charts are to him.

I wonder if Morrissey has a personality disorder? Only say that because my friend ..well ex friend has borderline personality disorder and behaves in a similar way based on interviews over the past few years. He will always play the victim, refuses to compromise even when the compromise is reasonable / for the best and gets angry a lot. To him everything is right or wrong ..great or absolutely terrible (mostly the latter) he's also very into the anti immigrant / anti trans / anti woke stuff and gets very passionate that. Just reminds me of Morrissey a bit that's all. As for the interview it seems as though he told her what he wanted to be asked. As other people have said he should let someone independent ask the questions not just his number one fan.

I wonder if Morrissey has a personality disorder? Only say that because my friend ..well ex friend has borderline personality disorder and behaves in a similar way based on interviews over the past few years. He will always play the victim, refuses to compromise even when the compromise is reasonable / for the best and gets angry a lot. To him everything is right or wrong ..great or absolutely terrible (mostly the latter) he's also very into the anti immigrant / anti trans / anti woke stuff and gets very passionate that. Just reminds me of Morrissey a bit that's all. As for the interview it seems as though he told her what he wanted to be asked. As other people have said he should let someone independent ask the questions not just his number one fan.
I think almost anyone could be said to have some type of personality disorder if their every word and action was analysed. Lots of things have been suggested speculatively - autism spectrum disorder, NPD? - sometimes plausible but I'm not sure how useful any of it is. How 'ordinary' can you be, once you're famous?

I feel that Morrissey's most recognisable traits have been consistent and they are more closely linked to depression than anything else. The introversion / tendency to withdraw, preoccupation with his own interior world, being troubled by thoughts about death, finding people exhausting etc. He is someone who has "a very well-developed fantasy life" and hides in it when things get hairy. I'm not sure that's a PD - but I can see how someone could look at his track record of falling out with producers, bandmates, record labels etc to a level that has been hugely damaging to his own interests, and wonder if there is something going on that he doesn't have much control over.

Last edited:
What a crashing boring interview. I wish for once someone would ask him: How do you write a song? how do you know when it’s done? do you still like orange Fanta?

Great ones... and many obvious questions about Alain's return went unasked.
There is probably a list of topics before any interview with him that the interviewer is told in advance not to broach.

Also, she's just a horrible journalist. A notch above Chris Farley interviewing McCartney on Saturday Night Live.

And that was an intentional joke.

I think almost anyone could be said to have some type of personality disorder if their every word and action was analysed. Lots of things have been suggested speculatively - autism spectrum disorder, NPD? - sometimes plausible but I'm not sure how useful any of it is. How 'ordinary' can you be, once you're famous?

I feel that Morrissey's most recognisable traits have been consistent and they are more closely linked to depression than anything else. The introversion / tendency to withdraw, preoccupation with his own interior world, being troubled by thoughts about death, finding people exhausting etc. He is someone who has "a very well-developed fantasy life" and hides in it when things get hairy. I'm not sure that's a PD - but I can see how someone could look at his track record of falling out with producers, bandmates, record labels etc to a level that has been hugely damaging to his own interests, and wonder if there is something going on that he doesn't have much control over.
Fair comments, Amy, but worth remembering he has had some people in his band for 10-15 years. Joe C is still on production duties after 10 years, there's been a reconciliation with Alain to the point that he's both in the live band and writing new songs, and their partnership stretches back over 30 years. Boz was on board for 30 years, too, and that doesn't seem to have ended acrimoniously as far as we know. So, the track record isn't quite as blemished as it may seem at first.

Fair comments, Amy, but worth remembering he has had some people in his band for 10-15 years. Joe C is still on production duties after 10 years, there's been a reconciliation with Alain to the point that he's both in the live band and writing new songs, and their partnership stretches back over 30 years. Boz was on board for 30 years, too, and that doesn't seem to have ended acrimoniously as far as we know. So, the track record isn't quite as blemished as it may seem at first.

Do employees really count as friends? Would they be there if they weren't paid?

Yeah, that's a fair point. That was just one example of ways he has damaged his interests, though, I could have used many. He's had, what, 15 record labels? The Supreme t-shirt fiasco. A history of running away from business matters and leaving his Mum / Boz /various intermediaries to try and resolve things for him. Being unable to cope with criticism to a point where he memorises slights, or slags off executives publicly. Cancelling gigs with little acknowledgement, hiding away in hotels and not answering the phone, firing people by proxy. Continuously saying "controversial" things without seeming to realise that there would be repercussions.

Any way you look at it, Morrissey is perceived as a difficult, prickly person and always has been, long before the current shitshow or Central. The kind of person that you walk on eggshells around because you just don't know how they're going to be that day, or if you're going to say or do some minor thing wrong and be dropped like a stone.

There could be tons of reasons for that and he was always an "unlikely" pop star, I just mention these because I think that is the difference between what could be seen as "personality disorder" and what would otherwise just be eccentricity - it's when somebody behaves in a way that is actively damaging to their life or their opportunities and it doesn't stop them, they just keep going. Morrissey once described "self-sabotage" as one of his greatest skills and it's true, he has a unique capacity to ruin everything he touches.

he lives so firmly in a state of denial about his own culpability in not getting signed.
the truth is, as we all are aware, that he is a difficult person for a label to manage. it really is that simple. he represents more risk than reward to a record label and that is simply not good business.
He’s the guy who has been banned from 15 pubs in town, moaning that the 16th won’t let him in.

What a crashing boring interview. I wish for once someone would ask him: How do you write a song? how do you know when it’s done? do you still like orange Fanta?

Actually I think she asked him that in a previous interview. And from what I recall got a really vague answer.

Why wouldn't they count?
It's a good question. In the UK (and, I'm sure, most countries these days) charts are a complicated business. The album chart here (UK) has a 14 page guide about eligibility, which you can access here if you want to! I think the relevant bit for this discussion is:

album.jpg

So I think it would need to be bundled in with the ticket, rather than just sold via the merch store at the venue - as I'm not sure the latter would register with the UK's chart reporting company, Kantar. (I could be wrong about that, though.)

Why wouldn't they count?
I'm not sure about the UK how it works but in America after Prince did it giving him a number 3 album and a strong chart placing throughout the 6 months tour, they changed the rules so that it only counts if it's an optional extra. The fan must have the chance to decline it supposedly.

I'm not sure about the UK how it works but in America after Prince did it giving him a number 3 album and a strong chart placing throughout the 6 months tour, they changed the rules so that it only counts if it's an optional extra. The fan must have the chance to decline it supposedly.
Yeah, I was thinking of when Prince did it with Musicology in 2004. The album was bundled with the concert ticket with no way to decline. So if it was not bundled with the ticket then maybe sales would count for chart positions?

EDIT: I just read @BookishBoy post... sounds like the criteria for chart placement are the opposite in the UK vs US (in this regard). Whether it counts in the charts or not I think he should do it. He would move a lot of units and probably guarantee a profit on his investment in self-releasing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking of when Prince did it with Musicology in 2004. The album was bundled with the concert ticket with no way to decline. So if it was not bundled with the ticket then maybe sales would count for chart positions?

EDIT: I just read @BookishBoy post... sounds like the criteria for chart placement are the opposite in the UK vs US (in this regard). Whether it counts in the charts or not I think he should do it. He would move a lot of units and probably guarantee a profit on his investment in self-releasing.
I'm really not sure what the UK charts are even based on now. Which begs the question why he is so obsessed with them when he's admitted they mean nothing.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom