Fiona Dodwell: In Conversation With Morrissey - full interview (April 3, 2023)

Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023

Excerpt:

"After his recent concert at London’s Hammersmith Apollo, I met with Morrissey backstage, and we acknowledged the difficulties he has faced by not “playing the game” of appeasing the media, or aligning himself with whatever the fashionable movement of the day is. “But you’re not a pop puppet, and you never could be,” I said, and he readily agreed. The truth is, perhaps, that to be the direct and authentic artist he is was never actually a choice. Morrissey is simply himself, fully and wholly, and it is that which likely resonates with his audience, who cling to him in their droves and travel the world for a glimpse of their idol. Truth is not always easy to come by in this world, and when people see it and feel it, they are drawn to it. They want to feel it, up close and personal."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but you lose all credibility when you make comments like that.

It is Morrissey who is in control of who he gives interviews to and any criticism should be directed towards him.

Fiona Dodwell requested a couple of interviews and he agreed. That in no way precludes him from giving interviews to other people and it certainly doesn't mean that she is, 'in control of this aspect of his life.' :lbf:

Oh, get a grip! You need to learn not to take things so literally. 🙄 Credibility? Who said I was attempting to claim that anyway?! The things I say are logical but only to other rational minds.

It's fairly obvious what I was meaning to anyone with half a brain cell. He doesn't grant interviews to anyone but Sam and FiDo, and when Sam hasn't been involved for quite a while then it is immediately clear that she is the sole arbiter of interviews at present.

No, she didn't request a few interviews. She's a fixture backstage of late and in the front row; she didn't get there magically, you know. Meaning she is classed as part of his (inner) circle and is highly likely to be on the payroll. But you keep on going with your idiocy in your responses...

“Yes, it’s a masterpiece … but we don’t sign anyone over 26”

F_cking homophobic bastards! :mad:

Somebody needs to dedicate their entire life to righting this wrong. On the Interwebz!
If only someone would step forward :ahhh:

As it was recently the 5th anniversary of Messages From Morrissey on Central, I read through all 161 pages. In following the links to all Fiona's writings, I was left with the feeling that her voice has been a dominant one in his story for long enough. I had assumed that she was commissioned to write the album notes for This Is Morrissey in 2018 because Morrissey liked her dark fiction novels (instead of, say, any family/London Irish connection) but in this interview she asks about his favourite writers twice and he neglects to compliment her!
I think she even tries to prompt him by saying she read List of the Lost several times

“Yes, it’s a masterpiece … but we don’t sign anyone over 26”

F_cking homophobic bastards! :mad:

Somebody needs to dedicate their entire life to righting this wrong. On the Interwebz!
Leave it with me. I'll have his reputation squeaky-clean in no time. The word "subspecies" will be erased from the internet/press and replaced by "a great bunch of lads".

Oh, get a grip! You need to learn not to take things so literally. 🙄 Credibility? Who said I was attempting to claim that anyway?! The things I say are logical but only to other rational minds.

It's fairly obvious what I was meaning to anyone with half a brain cell. He doesn't grant interviews to anyone but Sam and FiDo, and when Sam hasn't been involved for quite a while then it is immediately clear that she is the sole arbiter of interviews at present.

No, she didn't request a few interviews. She's a fixture backstage of late and in the front row; she didn't get there magically, you know. Meaning she is classed as part of his (inner) circle and is highly likely to be on the payroll. But you keep on going with your idiocy in your responses...
Well, that certainly convinces me that you have a calm and logical grip on things. :lbf:

Well no self release, this is a real disappointment to not get these albums released.
After maladjusted CD is was 7 years waiting for the next CD in 2004
He played 4 new tracks from you are the quarry since 200
so there is hope I think

Well, that certainly convinces me that you have a calm and logical grip on things. :lbf:

I wouldn't have the career I did if I didn't! Hilarious that you think you are some type of armchair psychiatrist for people you've never met and only ever exchanged rare comments with. But put downs are renowned for emerging when the other person's intelligence has failed and they have no more salient points to make.

I wouldn't have the career I did if I didn't! Hilarious that you think you are some type of armchair psychiatrist for people you've never met and only ever exchanged rare comments with. But put downs are renowned for emerging when the other person's intelligence has failed and they have no more salient points to make.
Your career has nothing to do with this thread. I simply judge your posts about 'FiDo' and they don't exactly come across as calm or in any way salient.

Anyhow, the beauty of this board is that we can ignore each other.

"...Now, the sudden rise in film directors wanting to document my life is fascinating..."

Might we see a Morrissey biopic soon?
I think it's quite likely that an authorised biopic is in the works. Script by F Dodwell, directed by S Rayner.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I felt sad... but also disappointed that Morrissey just seems resigned to that outcome (vs doing all that he can to get it released). Evidently only if a powerful savior comes along will we hear it.
You are probably right. It has all become a bit confusing: the tweets, Morrissey’s understanding of things and Capitol’s stance.

It's sad that he has already given up hope that "without music" will be released, and to avoid crushing disappointment then so will I.
Well, if it is true that he has already given up on getting WMTWD released, then it must also be a crushing disapointment for Alain. I was also disappointned to find no single word on Morrissey’s renewed collaboration with Alain in the interview.

Well, there have been interviewers in the past who mentioned that, 'No Smiths questions' was mentioned prior to the interview. Here, Morrissey talks openly about that era and appears to have let his guard down a little.

There have also been plenty of interviews in the past where Morrissey stipulated that he would only answer questions via email. This interview is several shades more interesting than any of them.

Also, the fact that it is undeniably a fan interview does have one positive aspect to it. I've read plenty of interviews in newspapers and music magazines where there is an awful lot of writing about Morrissey which leaves very little room left for any actual quotes from him. In this instance, at least Fiona Dodwell had the sense just to leave it as a Q and A. If Morrissey gives similar answers to some he has previously, that is not exactly unusual for a singer in his 60s.

I'm under no illusions that talking to fans like this will resuscitate Morrissey's career, but that is down to him more than any of the questions asked.
I understand what you're saying but I think there was a point, especially in the early days, where Moz had a valid reason to dodge Smiths questions and avoid playing Smiths songs live. He was trying to build a solo career and prove there was life after the Smiths, and that would have been much harder if he hadn't drawn a line somewhere. Now... we're long past that, to be bitter after so long would be really sad.

When I think of what advantages a fan interview might have - it's the knowledge of the back catalogue, the cultural reference points, the whole trajectory of his career. That's really rich, fertile ground for questions when you consider that most interviewers concentrate on trying to shoehorn Smiths puns into their headlines and asking him stupid questions about celibacy and 'miserablism' as though it were still 1984.

Fiona doesn't make the most of it. But being a fan she is bound in a way, too, because if she asks something he doesn't like then she risks her place in the 'circle' - journos don't have to care about that stuff, they're not invested.

I wonder if these artists have released more albums and more succesful albums than Morrissey has?

I think his explanation tells us that he has thought about the idea briefly but quickly concluded that there is more to be lost than gained for him. And I think he is right.
Nobody is saying what M achieved in the past isnt impressive . Nobody is saying he was not a big cool star .
Nobody is saying he is shit now or whatever .
I think that people are disappointed by is the fact he has willfully f***ed up an impressive career and he seems to have betrayed his former self , I'm not saying that, others are

Let's look at the Lps in the last 6 years .
Low In Highschool, great LP well the first half .
the world was excited .
Then he went nuclear with his trolling and that led to all this .
He then released a patchy covers LP, which really wasn't very good . The life was sucked out of it ,in production.

his trolling , meant he lost at least a third of his fan base. I couldn't give a c***s hair about that but that drop in fan base meant when he released his next LP
dog on a chain it didn't sell. I think the LP had 1 awesome song . 3 good songs and that's it
It blows my mind to think people think what kind of people live in these houses is a great song .it's weak as feck

if you have a track record of 2 weak Lps and massive public image issue - like a faggy Andrew Tate, being roundly mocked

It's known your fan base has been reduced and the only way to make money off you is live gigs , which you won't share any of the profits on and the new music isn't that good - and the BOT were not that good live , not bad , great singing but it's not gonna win new fans. This means the majors will not give you money ,like they used to . He could sign a record deal tomorrow he just wants more money than any of them will give .

As I said he just needs to get out and gig all around the UK and the world . Keep his mouth shut and just write some great songs , if that happens he will be ok .
I fear he just doesn't care about the art anymore - look at the lyrics of 90% of his new music it's so weak .nothing like his Smiths , 90s stuff .
Look at his cover art, it's not there
Look at his answers in interviews , half baked ideas , well worn subjects. It's like he has lost interest in connecting with us and only cares about money
In the past he was 90% art 10% game . Now it's the way around .

For years his live stuff was lazy and phoned in. Thank f*** that changed. It changed because it had to .
All he has now is live shows , so he has to be fire, to keep people interested .

It would be brilliant to see him on a major
But it would be much better to get him on his own label .
Releasing what he wants . It could have been awesome.
What used to special was his connection with fans but he just seems to want a quick buck and boast like a "top g"

was lucky in the past he had built up a huge fan base which had carried him over the lean times .
So even though he was without a label and World Peace had been dropped , he still sold huge venues and there was a lot of respect for him . That isn't there now .
I still think he can turn around but he needs to stop sounding like a chest thumping, red pill , Trump light YouTube host

I understand what you're saying but I think there was a point, especially in the early days, where Moz had a valid reason to dodge Smiths questions and avoid playing Smiths songs live. He was trying to build a solo career and prove there was life after the Smiths, and that would have been much harder if he hadn't drawn a line somewhere. Now... we're long past that, to be bitter after so long would be really sad.

When I think of what advantages a fan interview might have - it's the knowledge of the back catalogue, the cultural reference points, the whole trajectory of his career. That's really rich, fertile ground for questions when you consider that most interviewers concentrate on trying to shoehorn Smiths puns into their headlines and asking him stupid questions about celibacy and 'miserablism' as though it were still 1984.

Fiona doesn't make the most of it. But being a fan she is bound in a way, too, because if she asks something he doesn't like then she risks her place in the 'circle' - journos don't have to care about that stuff, they're not invested.
Sure, but the stipulation about asking no Smiths questions was, according to some interviewers, still being made about 10 years ago. Maybe even more recently.

The bottom line, for me, is that if this exact same interview had been conducted by anyone else, there wouldn't be the same level of vitriol towards it and the interviewer wouldn't be receiving personal criticism and have nicknames being made up about her/him.

The interview isn't all that good or bad, but at least Morrissey doesn't say anything that will actively damage his career. That, on its own, immediately places it above many of the interviews that he has done over the past decade. :)

Fiona only turned up in the last 5 years. She's a new fan, so she doesn't have all those reference points.

Nobody is saying what M achieved in the past isnt impressive . Nobody is saying he was not a big cool star .
Nobody is saying he is shit now or whatever .
I think that people are disappointed by is the fact he has willfully f***ed up an impressive career and he seems to have betrayed his former self , I'm not saying that, others are

Let's look at the Lps in the last 6 years .
Low In Highschool, great LP well the first half .
the world was excited .
Then he went nuclear with his trolling and that led to all this .
He then released a patchy covers LP, which really wasn't very good . The life was sucked out of it ,in production.

his trolling , meant he lost at least a third of his fan base. I couldn't give a c***s hair about that but that drop in fan base meant when he released his next LP
dog on a chain it didn't sell. I think the LP had 1 awesome song . 3 good songs and that's it
It blows my mind to think people think what kind of people live in these houses is a great song .it's weak as feck

if you have a track record of 2 weak Lps and massive public image issue - like a faggy Andrew Tate, being roundly mocked

It's known your fan base has been reduced and the only way to make money off you is live gigs , which you won't share any of the profits on and the new music isn't that good - and the BOT were not that good live , not bad , great singing but it's not gonna win new fans. This means the majors will not give you money ,like they used to . He could sign a record deal tomorrow he just wants more money than any of them will give .

As I said he just needs to get out and gig all around the UK and the world . Keep his mouth shut and just write some great songs , if that happens he will be ok .
I fear he just doesn't care about the art anymore - look at the lyrics of 90% of his new music it's so weak .nothing like his Smiths , 90s stuff .
Look at his cover art, it's not there
Look at his answers in interviews , half baked ideas , well worn subjects. It's like he has lost interest in connecting with us and only cares about money
In the past he was 90% art 10% game . Now it's the way around .

For years his live stuff was lazy and phoned in. Thank f*** that changed. It changed because it had to .
All he has now is live shows , so he has to be fire, to keep people interested .

It would be brilliant to see him on a major
But it would be much better to get him on his own label .
Releasing what he wants . It could have been awesome.
What used to special was his connection with fans but he just seems to want a quick buck and boast like a "top g"

was lucky in the past he had built up a huge fan base which had carried him over the lean times .
So even though he was without a label and World Peace had been dropped , he still sold huge venues and there was a lot of respect for him . That isn't there now .
I still think he can turn around but he needs to stop sounding like a chest thumping, red pill , Trump light YouTube host
Did you just call Moz a "faggy Andrew Tate"? o_O

Fiona only turned up in the last 5 years. She's a new fan, so she doesn't have all those reference points.

Fiona writing about him has only been the last few years. My impression from stuff I’ve seen from her on Twitter is she’s been a fan of his music for many years

Boz is happy with VB and his studio in Portugal. I bought his Gibson Flying V, as seen on Jools Holland, 2004. He's semi-retired and doing other things away from the recording/touring with M, amicably. He's served his time.
Ok ,thanks Amo a Boz

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom