Fiona Dodwell: In Conversation With Morrissey - full interview (April 3, 2023)

Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023

Excerpt:

"After his recent concert at London’s Hammersmith Apollo, I met with Morrissey backstage, and we acknowledged the difficulties he has faced by not “playing the game” of appeasing the media, or aligning himself with whatever the fashionable movement of the day is. “But you’re not a pop puppet, and you never could be,” I said, and he readily agreed. The truth is, perhaps, that to be the direct and authentic artist he is was never actually a choice. Morrissey is simply himself, fully and wholly, and it is that which likely resonates with his audience, who cling to him in their droves and travel the world for a glimpse of their idol. Truth is not always easy to come by in this world, and when people see it and feel it, they are drawn to it. They want to feel it, up close and personal."

Last edited by a moderator:
"The one who wears Lonnie Donegan’s head and who sees himself as a barking political voice operates no differently from Mary Whitehouse in the 1970s – offended by everyone who he just also happens to be jealous of."
Who on earth could that be 🤔
😂😅🤣
FWD.

"The one who wears Lonnie Donegan’s head and who sees himself as a barking political voice operates no differently from Mary Whitehouse in the 1970s – offended by everyone who he just also happens to be jealous of."
Who on earth could that be 🤔
😂😅🤣
I wonder who he's talking about there... :ROFLMAO:

So nothing positive to say about the release of the albums. Won't self release.

A real shame.

people on here said she wouldnt ask about self release and she did,well done fee.
sam smith, a female wc fields,liking the cut of your jib there M.
looks like we wont be hearing any new music any time soon.

For f***'s sake, she seems incapable of asking a question without softening it with sycophancy. Here's yet another wasted opportunity, an interview which gives us no new info about anything and shows only a dimmest glint of Morrissey wit.

For f***'s sake, she seems incapable of asking a question without softening it with sycophancy. Here's yet another wasted opportunity, an interview which gives us no new info about anything and shows only a dimmest glint of Morrissey wit.
what would you have asked.

what would you have asked.
I would have asked about details of the Capitol situation: Has he tried to buy the album back? What exactly happened after signing the contract? Why did they put Rebels out?

Plus I would have asked questions about the recent and unreleased albums. How they differ from his previous works? To which direction he thinks his music is evolving? How come he used synths in Dog, despite looking down on them for the most of his career? What happened with Boz? What has Alain brought back to the songwriting?

And so on. It's pretty easy to think of good questions. And not let him blather on about the state of current pop music, because he has obviously lost all interest in it. All his reference points are at least a decade old. And no, Smiths definitely doesn't get as many streams as Beyonce.

I would have asked about details of the Capitol situation: Has he tried to buy the album back? What exactly happened after signing the contract? Why did they put Rebels out?

Plus I would have asked questions about the recent and unreleased albums. How they differ from his previous works? To which direction he thinks his music is evolving? How come he used synths in Dog, despite looking down on them for the most of his career? What happened with Boz? What has Alain brought back to the songwriting?

And so on. It's pretty easy to think of good questions. And not let him blather on about the state of current pop music, because he has obviously lost all interest in it. All his reference points are at least a decade old. And no, Smiths definitely doesn't get as many streams as Beyonce.
all will be revealed in part 3,all good things come in threes.

This would have been a much better interview!

Definitely a plus that she asked him about self releasing the album.

That will at least save us hundreds of pointless posts by the usual suspects on these pages ;)

Remarkably, Planet Morrissey allowed the question about self-releasing in advance. Does that make it better? No. Even someone as "queer" as Kevin Rowland, who already put himself between all chairs commercially in the 90s with "My Beauty", can release a new record in 2023.

Last edited:
he lives so firmly in a state of denial about his own culpability in not getting signed.
the truth is, as we all are aware, that he is a difficult person for a label to manage. it really is that simple. he represents more risk than reward to a record label and that is simply not good business.

people on here said she wouldnt ask about self release and she did,well done fee.
sam smith, a female wc fields,liking the cut of your jib there M.
looks like we wont be hearing any new music any time soon.
Yes, I said in the other thread regarding this interview that Fiona wouldn't ask him about self releasing. But I was wrong, and she did. Credit where it is due.

His answer, however, was rather flimsy and unconvincing.

You still need at least six people involved to grind the wheels and be fully in the “now,” but they won’t do anything without a cut. People don’t work for wages alone anymore!
Well, knock me down with a feather. People who work for you want paid at the going rate. Shocking stuff.

As has often been the case with Morrissey over the years, it all boils down to money. He's willing to forego releasing his new album(s) because somewhere along the line he'll need to dip his hand in his pocket. A disappointing attitude, but not surprising.

Why should a record label take a punt on Morrissey when he won't even back himself (and demonstrate his appeal and relevancy) by self releasing?

The fact that he clearly doesn't believe the cost benefit analysis makes self release a viable option says it all, really. Good enough for a record label to spaff money up the wall (as Boris Johnson might say), but heaven forbid Morrissey takes the risk himself using his own money.

Therefore you might as well stay with the established labels, and really, I had the time of my life with EMI, Sanctuary, and in the prehistory days of Rough Trade
Pre history? Well, quite.

This is 2023, Morrissey. The industry works differently now. If you won't adapt to it, then retire gracefully.

Yes, I said in the other thread regarding this interview that Fiona wouldn't ask him about self releasing. But I was wrong, and she did. Credit where it is due.

His answer, however, was rather flimsy and unconvincing.

Well, knock me down with a feather. People who work for you want paid at the going rate. Shocking stuff.

As has often been the case with Morrissey over the years, it all boils down to money. He's willing to forego releasing his new album(s) because somewhere along the line he'll need to dip his hand in his pocket. A disappointing attitude, but not surprising.

Why should a record label take a punt on Morrissey when he won't even back himself (and demonstrate his appeal and relevancy) by self releasing?

The fact that he clearly doesn't believe the cost benefit analysis makes self release a viable option says it all, really. Good enough for a record label to spaff money up the wall (as Boris Johnson might say), but heaven forbid Morrissey takes the risk himself using his own money.

Pre history? Well, quite.

This is 2023, Morrissey. The industry works differently now. If you won't adapt to it, then retire gracefully.
He’s released three albums in the past 6 years on major labels. Did you not notice?

Morrissey has put the money up to pay for the recording of the two unreleased albums though?

The comment about Rough Trade is a far warmer take than he’s offered for years on Geoff Travis and the label as a whole.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom