Fiona Dodwell IG: "On Morrissey, Bonfire of Teenagers & the gutter press" (November 16, 2022)

In this day and age it's so easy to release as a streaming release only .... It is that easy and simple an option but no not Morrissey ... It's his only way to go but he's basically a dinosaur here and he has options he refuses... Most folks now only want to listen... The "collectable" vinyl cam come later ... What's most important?
I hear you and I'd be ok with that. But I don't consider vinyl 'collectable' even though of course it is. The audio quality of a well pressed vinyl with proper speakers and turntable/amp is vastly superior to streaming. The whole listening experience is more deliberate and precious (in a good way). But streaming definitely has its place and I am a fan of streaming. But you do audiophiles a minor disservice in your comment about vinyl.

Surely the only thing that’s really gone wrong is Central posting something that’s not true? And now the Spin is that the music industry is against him because they won’t alter the reality of the cosmos to fit in with its erroneous post?

If Morrissey has indeed been signed, Bonfire will be released in the near future. In the interim we have live versions of most of the LP (all of the Record could be made available, thro’ gigs, should Morrissey want us to hear it). No real real stress in that.

The only thing that would make the exasperated tone of Fiona’s statement make sense is if Capitol have pulled back from signing him, meaning nothing had actually ever been fully agreed in the first place: in which case one might again wonder about the veracity of Central and the wisdom of its pushy protagonists—as those include Morrissey himself.

It seems as if the people behind Central are now working for Ronaldo. So perhaps if Central folds no-one need be out of pocket.

She comes across as quite sweet really. We do live in terribly depressing times. We are seeing the McDonaldisation of culture. Chicken and chips the diet of the young, both literally and metaphorically. Cinema is endless superhero movies. Music is the same bland pap that is served up by KFC and Burger King. TV a soporific in the corner of the room. Virtually nothing allowed that is designed to make people think and question what we are told. It's time for Morrissey to bypass the traditional record labels and release the album himself. If he doesn't I fear he really will be silenced for ever.

Well said, Fiona. Very true. Morrissey is a legend & the people who spend their time trying to ruin him are simply nobodies.

Time will be the judge.

I reckon she's quite fit too. Lovely deep blue eyes. She'll do for me!
"fit"?
Are you one of those who find it hard to get birds?
I won't say anymore, as it may seem cruel. M actually does have some super fit fans, this leach ain't one of em
Don't put Paul J. Watson in the same basket as bottom feeders like Fiona and Sam at least Paul makes his own way in life. Nobody cares about Sam and Fiona unless they mention M
You get so many of these people, they have no identity beyond the person they are leaching from
Its part of the reason M has been written off by so many, he used to get Paul Morely and that lot pitching for him, and now its these f***ers. They cheer as M digs his own grave
why should M have a record deal, if he doesn't make any f***ing money for the company?
He was in the position to be a lost leader/legacy artist but he f***ed it up.
Because some people only live M world, they fail to say how completely unimportant he is considered now
You will get some who respect him like us but mainly in the real world, he is considered an old joke. It's a shame. It's a crying shame. it really fecking is. I wish his LP was coming out but most people couldn't care less.
It's not helped by the moron posts by M central, calling out record companies etc. Of course its upsetting for M but I wonder if more to do with his ego being dented

You know those times when for a long while you imagine how someone sounds it kinda takes over, then you hear them for the first time and think ‘I never put that voice to that name’? Yup, I’ve just had one of those! For years I’ve imagined her to sound like Mrs Doyle off of Father Ted. Bubble burst now 🤣

Posting anonymous though you can take this as gospel (yes the culture of the internet will immediately say I have no basis)

He has been signed to Capitol in America. There was at least one other label interested but that was really only for the back catalogue. Every label is betting for the next Kate Bush/Stranger Things. They were not very excited about a new album, especially after hearing it. I’ve heard the entire thing and there are no “hits.” “Ha ha Harlem” is good but too long. The label knows by reissuing some of the old stuff they’ll make a fair amount from collectors. Moz isn’t making new fans these days and the old fans care less and less every year. The venues are smaller in all but a few markets so even if they have a 360 deal with him they aren’t making a huge amount in touring.

I can tell you the Greek show rubbed people the wrong way.

I long for Peter to return to the management role but that ship has sailed.

The old issue with Harvest was Morrissey’s fault. He was demanding of a label to the point of lunacy. Every employee there has horror stories.

American labels don’t want him because of him. He’s the issue. Well, that and his sales aren’t solid. Labels are a business and he’s too old and set in his ways to work for it. Someone posted recently that they can’t imagine another established artist in such disarray as he is. I’m not sure I could put it any better. Whatever your thoughts are on Coldplay, U2, Phoebe Bridgers, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, twenty one pilots, or whoever…they don’t behave this way. They don’t walk out of shows. They don’t cancel tours. They don’t beg for sympathy when there is a delay with a record.

Albums get delayed. Usually it’s a biproduct of a bigger or more important release needing to get out first. Mark my words though, this delay was his doing/choosing.

Morrissey doesn’t care about fans. Labels know this. If he did he wouldn’t walk out of shows without a word. He’d release the record online like Radiohead did so long ago. To that point, it’s an ego thing. With “World Peace” he was angry at the label for not getting him on Saturday Night Live. That was never going to happen but he made their life hell because he thought it would. Back to him not caring…

We all know he doesn’t. He is a nostalgia act that hasn’t woken up the fact yet. The Cure are as well yet they sell ten times as many tickets on a US tour.

In closing, he does it to himself.

I do not know Moz but I know many people who’ve been close to him over the years. The stories are all true.

Posting anonymous though you can take this as gospel (yes the culture of the internet will immediately say I have no basis)

He has been signed to Capitol in America. There was at least one other label interested but that was really only for the back catalogue. Every label is betting for the next Kate Bush/Stranger Things. They were not very excited about a new album, especially after hearing it. I’ve heard the entire thing and there are no “hits.” “Ha ha Harlem” is good but too long. The label knows by reissuing some of the old stuff they’ll make a fair amount from collectors. Moz isn’t making new fans these days and the old fans care less and less every year. The venues are smaller in all but a few markets so even if they have a 360 deal with him they aren’t making a huge amount in touring.

The old issue with Harvest was Morrissey’s fault. He was demanding of a label to the point of lunacy. Every employee there has horror stories.

American labels don’t want him because of him. He’s the issue. Well, that and his sales aren’t solid. Labels are a business and he’s too old and set in his ways to work for it. Someone posted recently that they can’t imagine another established artist in such disarray as he is. I’m not sure I could put it any better. Whatever your thoughts are on Coldplay, U2, Phoebe Bridgers, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, twenty one pilots, or whoever…they don’t behave this way. They don’t walk out of shows. They don’t cancel tours. They don’t beg for sympathy when there is a delay with a record.

Albums get delayed. Usually it’s a biproduct of a bigger or more important release needing to get out first. Mark my words though, this delay was his doing/choosing.

Morrissey doesn’t care about fans. Labels know this. If he did he wouldn’t walk out of shows without a word. He’d release the record online like Radiohead did so long ago. To that point, it’s an ego thing. With “World Peace” he was angry at the label for not getting him on Saturday Night Live. That was never going to happen but he made their life hell because he thought it would. Back to him not caring…

We all know he doesn’t. He is a nostalgia act that hasn’t woken up the fact yet. The Cure are as well yet they sell ten times as many tickets on a US tour.

I do not know Moz but I know many people who’ve been close to him over the years. The stories are all true.
How long is too long? how long is "Ha ha Harlem"?

This cycle is just exhausting

Personally, I'm confused by the update The media had left M alone, There was no real mention of his record being dropped, pushed back or anything I mean, not in the newspapers anyway.
There may have been some music-themed websites. Maybe people don't think he has a deal, maybe nobody but people like us give a shit

The only thing the media really touched on was him leaving the concert early., but most of the reports I read took it in good humor.
I think people were just shocked by his lack of explanation, If he would have done a statement saying "I'm an old man now, I could feel a terrible cold coming on. I have to be careful "
But all they got was "Morrissey thinks LA is too cold" .
That was the only bad press. I do not know what "gutter press" , reports she is talking about

I'm not sure she really is a "real" fan, she is just one in a long line who has attached themselves to the M showboat. For attention and clout. That's it. You can tell by her writing, she doesn't know that much M of old or what he's really about- people know she's on the payroll so they tune in to see what M has fed her.
What you have to think is this, she is a grown woman probably in her 40s ? Has she nothing else to do but post about M, and write about M? It's tragic.
Beyond all shit I agree with her, it's a shame M hasn't got a label, the trouble is , I honestly do think it's people like her who led M where he is now. These constant excuses.

I have to say, since 1984 I've met Mr. M a number of times, both as a photo-journalist and casually, and he has always been polite, kind and giving. Now about the various executive people that have been around him, they're not so nice.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom