Fiona Dodwell IG: "On Morrissey, Bonfire of Teenagers & the gutter press" (November 16, 2022)

Yes, that was noticeable at the recent Brixton Academy show. I did get the feeling though that many were there to see 'the guy who used to be the lead singer of The Smiths'. But I could be wrong.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if a younger generation of Morrissey fans didn’t put so much importance on The Smiths, not that they don’t or couldn’t enjoy them also.

If I had been in the audience on Saturday night - I'd be upset by the lack of any statement or communication. Even a statement clearly written by his management would be something - giving some sort of explanation, and some form of an apology. Sometimes, as we all know, such a little thing makes such a big difference...
Yes. In a Q & A a few years back with the UK Daily Mail newspaper, he said the following:

Who would like to say sorry to and why?

Myself. I put myself through torture. One cancelled show and I lower my face on to a hot stove for six weeks.

Yes, but let’s not let facts (like his above answer) get in the way of perpetuating the idea that Morrissey doesn’t regret or feel pained by his own actions. It’s better to believe that he is a bad person, that way, folks can feel justified in continuing to criticize him.

Yes. In a Q & A a few years back with the UK Daily Mail newspaper, he said the following:

Myself. I put myself through torture. One cancelled show and I lower my face on to a hot stove for six weeks.
Morrissey feeling bad about 'cancelling' a show isn't the issue.

No. But if he was willing to say this in an interview, it reinforces the view he should say something to paying customers left disappointed.

should? Maybe should?

and yet, people came to the following shows, a strange form of protest. Lol.

Yes, but let’s not let facts (like his above answer) get in the way of perpetuating the idea that Morrissey doesn’t regret or feel pained by his own actions. It’s better to believe that he is a bad person, that way, folks can feel justified in continuing to criticize him.

I don't think he's a bad person generally but I do feel he is ignorant and treats his fans with contempt when he or his management don't let people know why he walked off stage mid set or if they can get a refund. It's now 5 days since the event and still no news on refunds or a rescheduled date.

I don't think he's a bad person generally but I do feel he is ignorant and treats his fans with contempt when he or his management don't let people know why he walked off stage mid set or if they can get a refund. It's now 5 days since the event and still no news on refunds or a rescheduled date.

The only thing to do, is for the audience members to contact the theater/ticket outlet and demand a refund, I guess. The other issue’s are not really in our control, or at least can’t be changed by complaining, even if the complaints are expected, understandable.

Oh pahhh-leeeze! Who wants to contact a venue to ask about a potential refund when that would cut into the complaining time allotment in any given day’s itinerary! HAR

And the other thing is, i know this is a really minor point and everything, but i think some posters here will be disappointed anyway - because i hear *apparently* there’s going to be no refund issued and no free entry to the rescheduled date if you didn’t have a ticket to the show at the greek in the first place! Can you even imagine?? Like, not having been there in the first place and just complaining a lot for nothing don’t count for annnnnything anymore? Who knew!!

You mean it’s not enough for you that he is aware and feels regret over his actions?
Morrissey's remorse or regret (stated in an old interview about a previous 'cancellation') is not the issue. If he was worried about losing his voice in the cold and wanted to save his voice for the rest of the tour, there is no need to regret anything. Even if he was just feeling bloody cold and wanted to f*** off home, no need to regret that either. He's an adult - if he decided he didn't want to be there anymore for whatever reason that's his prerogative. And I'm sure he felt / feels bad about walking off. It's just never good for an artist to (appear to) treat fans with contempt. Treating journalists, TV interviewers, other artists, politicians, officials etc. with contempt usually goes down very well. But fans - not a good look. Especially when you're desperate to sign with a record label.

Whatever happened to make Moz interrupt the show, it must have been something serious enough to stop him from doing what he enjoys the most in his life.

Of course I wasn’t there, but even if I were, I'd trust his attitude as being the best for him at that moment, despite the frustration and everything.

Morrissey's remorse or regret (stated in an old interview about a previous 'cancellation') is not the issue. If he was worried about losing his voice in the cold and wanted to save his voice for the rest of the tour, there is no need to regret anything. Even if he was just feeling bloody cold and wanted to f*** off home, no need to regret that either. He's an adult - if he decided he didn't want to be there anymore for whatever reason that's his prerogative. And I'm sure he felt / feels bad about walking off.

It's just never good for an artist to (appear to) treat fans with contempt. Treating journalists, TV interviewers, other artists, politicians, officials etc. with contempt usually goes down very well. But fans - not a good look. Especially when you're desperate to sign with a record label.

If ‘looks’ are a concern. Then let me ask you and other folks that are complaining about this, what if Morrissey made a public apology after EVERY show that he’s canceled?

Don’t you think that these numerous apologies would look pretty hallow after a while? Would that be a good look? Is that what you would prefer? Would these repeated apologies have changed Morrissey’s actions? Would those repeated apologies given fans a reason to have more faith in Morrissey?

The only thing that may change Morrissey from canceling shows is if people stoped buying tickets. That way there would be no show to cancel, that would probably be the best way to send a message. Not comparing him to what other artists do and complaining on solo, lol.

Lol …. 👇

Last edited:
I want somebody more in the know than I (apparently) am about myself - to please explain to me if i have too LOW self esteem? Or is my self esteem is too HIGH ?

Because the inexplicable conundrum to me here is that I have previously traveled vast distances for shows that were cancelled, and I never once felt like a cancellation without a personal apology to me implied that I was being treated with contempt.

So is my self esteem too high? Or too low? Because as a thoughtful and well adjusted person, I would be inclined to say it’s just right, and that any problem created here, imagined or otherwise, is as a result of all of the rather more irrational demands and insistences still being lobbed around - with all the ability to convince of tennis player on the court in the dead of winter with 2ft of snow on the ground, no net, and without a partner

I want somebody more in the know than I (apparently) am about myself - to please explain to me if i have too LOW self esteem? Or is my self esteem is too HIGH ?

Because the inexplicable conundrum to me here is that I have previously traveled vast distances for shows that were cancelled, and I never once felt like a cancellation without a personal apology to me implied that I was being treated with contempt.

So is my self esteem too high? Or too low? Because as a thoughtful and well adjusted person, I would be inclined to say it’s just right, and that any problem created here, imagined or otherwise, is as a result of all of the rather more irrational demands and insistences still being lobbed around - with all the ability to convince of tennis player on the court in the dead of winter with 2ft of snow on the ground, no net, and without a partner
The show at the Greek Theatre wasn't cancelled. He walked off stage, leaving the band, and the audience completely in the dark as to whether he was coming back or not. And since that night, the audience have remained in the dark as to why their night with Moz was cut short in that way, and whether the night will be rescheduled.

The show at the Greek Theatre wasn't cancelled. He walked off stage, leaving the band, and the audience completely in the dark as to whether he was coming back or not. And since that night, the audience have remained in the dark as to why their night with Moz was cut short in that way, and whether the night will be rescheduled.

He just needed a peck on the cheek and some encouraging words from Miley Cyrus and he could've gone back on. Unfortunately for him, she wasn't there. Jesse Tobias likely tried to reason with him by saying they could pipe in her backing vocals on I Am Veronica, but that wouldn't do. Morrissey probably said, "NO."

Ok, well I disagree with your interpretation of what unfolded. The show absolutely was cancelled after it started, and the audience was absolutely not left in the dark about whether he was coming back. A band member informed everyone that the show was cancelled, and the audience were not left in the dark about why their evening was cut short: they were told in real time that it was due to unforeseen circumstances, ie circumstances that were therefore out of production’s or Morrissey’s control.

The additional fact that the rescheduled date has not been announced yet also seems completely normal to me. How or why would you expect that it would be possible to confirm a new rescheduled date within 24 or 48 or even 72 hours?

Walked off, canceled, whatever. Eventually it will be resolved. Until then, I’d hold off on the ‘WTF’s ?

Btw, don’t be a scared of the dark.

Lol …………… 👇

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom