Fiona Dodwell IG: "On Morrissey, Bonfire of Teenagers & the gutter press" (November 16, 2022)

Let’s face it long time lovers ......

We only have the live arena left.

And according to the half show
From the other night .... concerts
Must have been pencilled for
Next year .

I don't know where this idea is coming from that Morrissey is owed or deserves a deal. As far as we know, he has one and we also know he tends to blow up anything good that happens to him. Bootlickers like Fiona Dodwell, who is a nobody, do not help him by reinforcing his unshakeable believe that he is a perpetual victim. Of course she fails to mention the weirdness from Central and his never ending habit of canceling concerts or just walking off stage. None of that could possibly contribute to this non problem he is having, and it is a non problem because he could have just released this himself.

Can I just check that I’m up to speed with the party line: Morrissey has a record deal, Bonfire will be released, he’s at the top of his game, and things couldn’t get any worse because the LP release date has been shifted?

Posting anonymous though you can take this as gospel (yes the culture of the internet will immediately say I have no basis)

He has been signed to Capitol in America. There was at least one other label interested but that was really only for the back catalogue. Every label is betting for the next Kate Bush/Stranger Things. They were not very excited about a new album, especially after hearing it. I’ve heard the entire thing and there are no “hits.” “Ha ha Harlem” is good but too long. The label knows by reissuing some of the old stuff they’ll make a fair amount from collectors. Moz isn’t making new fans these days and the old fans care less and less every year. The venues are smaller in all but a few markets so even if they have a 360 deal with him they aren’t making a huge amount in touring.

I can tell you the Greek show rubbed people the wrong way.

I long for Peter to return to the management role but that ship has sailed.

The old issue with Harvest was Morrissey’s fault. He was demanding of a label to the point of lunacy. Every employee there has horror stories.

American labels don’t want him because of him. He’s the issue. Well, that and his sales aren’t solid. Labels are a business and he’s too old and set in his ways to work for it. Someone posted recently that they can’t imagine another established artist in such disarray as he is. I’m not sure I could put it any better. Whatever your thoughts are on Coldplay, U2, Phoebe Bridgers, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, twenty one pilots, or whoever…they don’t behave this way. They don’t walk out of shows. They don’t cancel tours. They don’t beg for sympathy when there is a delay with a record.

Albums get delayed. Usually it’s a biproduct of a bigger or more important release needing to get out first. Mark my words though, this delay was his doing/choosing.

Morrissey doesn’t care about fans. Labels know this. If he did he wouldn’t walk out of shows without a word. He’d release the record online like Radiohead did so long ago. To that point, it’s an ego thing. With “World Peace” he was angry at the label for not getting him on Saturday Night Live. That was never going to happen but he made their life hell because he thought it would. Back to him not caring…

We all know he doesn’t. He is a nostalgia act that hasn’t woken up the fact yet. The Cure are as well yet they sell ten times as many tickets on a US tour.

In closing, he does it to himself.

I do not know Moz but I know many people who’ve been close to him over the years. The stories are all true.

Definitely the best counter to Fiona Dodwell's video which predictably blames every hardship on external parties, media conspiracies, and absolutely nothing on Morrissey. I get she's a fan and so am I, but you'd have to be blind or just plain in denial not to see that he's done much to sabotage his own success.

Last edited:
It's very sad when someone as artistically important as Moz struggles/has to fight so hard for a record deal, while talentless twats saturate the streaming sites and recklessly rule the radioactive radio with their rancid repellent rubbish.
Absolutely agree, lots of music.. shit! And Moz sings better every day !!! He should produce his records and expect nothing from others....... only from the fans

Posting anonymous though you can take this as gospel (yes the culture of the internet will immediately say I have no basis)

He has been signed to Capitol in America. There was at least one other label interested but that was really only for the back catalogue. Every label is betting for the next Kate Bush/Stranger Things. They were not very excited about a new album, especially after hearing it. I’ve heard the entire thing and there are no “hits.” “Ha ha Harlem” is good but too long. The label knows by reissuing some of the old stuff they’ll make a fair amount from collectors. Moz isn’t making new fans these days and the old fans care less and less every year. The venues are smaller in all but a few markets so even if they have a 360 deal with him they aren’t making a huge amount in touring.

The old issue with Harvest was Morrissey’s fault. He was demanding of a label to the point of lunacy. Every employee there has horror stories.

American labels don’t want him because of him. He’s the issue. Well, that and his sales aren’t solid. Labels are a business and he’s too old and set in his ways to work for it. Someone posted recently that they can’t imagine another established artist in such disarray as he is. I’m not sure I could put it any better. Whatever your thoughts are on Coldplay, U2, Phoebe Bridgers, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, twenty one pilots, or whoever…they don’t behave this way. They don’t walk out of shows. They don’t cancel tours. They don’t beg for sympathy when there is a delay with a record.

Albums get delayed. Usually it’s a biproduct of a bigger or more important release needing to get out first. Mark my words though, this delay was his doing/choosing.

Morrissey doesn’t care about fans. Labels know this. If he did he wouldn’t walk out of shows without a word. He’d release the record online like Radiohead did so long ago. To that point, it’s an ego thing. With “World Peace” he was angry at the label for not getting him on Saturday Night Live. That was never going to happen but he made their life hell because he thought it would. Back to him not caring…

We all know he doesn’t. He is a nostalgia act that hasn’t woken up the fact yet. The Cure are as well yet they sell ten times as many tickets on a US tour.

I do not know Moz but I know many people who’ve been close to him over the years. The stories are all true

I do not know Moz but I know many people who’ve been close to him over the years. The stories are all true.

Ok. But why did Andrew Watt contact Morrissey about a collaboration?

My guess is Mr Andy has access to the same intel you do. What was the point of him propping up a nostalgia act?

Who is this woman and why is she worthy of getting her own post on the home page?

He's great already. Therefore, there's no need to "make" him great "again".
Attitudes and opinions like this are a significant part of the problem. The last thing he needs these days is yes-men.

In this day and age it's so easy to release as a streaming release only .... It is that easy and simple an option but no not Morrissey ... It's his only way to go but he's basically a dinosaur here and he has options he refuses... Most folks now only want to listen... The "collectable" vinyl cam come later ... What's most important?
I'm a dinosaur too! I want a physical copy. It's my guess that most of us do. For me there's something insubstantial about a digital only release. It's lazy in my eyes. I get pleasure from knowing the album is sitting on my shelf, with its artwork, and the act of physically selecting it if I want to hear it. It's all a part of the listening process and enjoyment for me.

The idea that Morrissey is a 'great artist, but terrible human being' is an old one, going all the way back to Tony Wilson in the 1980s. I'm sure there is probably some truth to that - he can clearly be described as 'difficult' at best. But I also have no doubt that Moz has good qualities and bad qualities, just like everyone else.
The lack of any communication with the audience he walked out on at the Greek Theatre is appalling. Thousands of people had paid money to see him that evening - he disappeared and there has been no statement since. Very disappointing. And the labels will be watching.
He just so clearly needs some form of professional management - who can do the communication for him. And do the negotiation with the labels for him, if that continues to be what he wants. And post professional statements on Moz Central. What Quest Artist Management are doing I just do not know. He is still on their website, but any sign of being professionally managed by anyone is just completely absent. And Moz Central seems to be left in the hands of his nephew. Jesus wept.
Anyone with any sense would advise him to simply release the album via the online paying music platforms. He could announce it as 'the album the record labels are too afraid to release'. It would undoubtedly sell well. If it sold very well, no doubt a label somewhere would then be keen to release the vinyl version. It's totally short sighted on his part not to bypass the labels. It really doesn't matter that he's 'difficult' - he's not the first artist to be so, and he won't be the last. But are there many artists left out there?

In this day and age it's so easy to release as a streaming release only .... It is that easy and simple an option but no not Morrissey ... It's his only way to go but he's basically a dinosaur here and he has options he refuses... Most folks now only want to listen... The "collectable" vinyl cam come later ... What's most important?
How true, a point we have made several times before. It's almost as if Morrissey and his simper-clique actually require the brutal treatment and harsh back-handers from what you still charmingly refer to as 'record labels'.

It reminds us of the abuseds perverse and continuing relationship with the abuser. It need not be this way.

If Yoko (sorry, SE-R) could forget his BTEC pass grade in media manipulation for a minute and actually get to grips with releasing this (admittedly weak) set of songs online - the issue disappears.

But, no. We beat on, raging endlessly against 'labels' when the label is no longer wholly necessary to get access to the music. How much more of a whack up the cat-flap do they want to give the 'biz'?

Instead: moan, whine, prevaricate - get Fiona Magdalene to emote endlessly as if we're awaiting a late career equivalent of TQID.

We are not.

We've seen third rate dirges limply delivered in Blackpool, Stockton . . . etc.

Perhaps it's not being released because - it's not very good.

He explicitly said he didn't think it was - & they deliberately didn't report that giving that entire milieu coverage for years - long after he stopped mentioning them.

It's absolutely unethical to do that.
Moz obviously didn't think FB was 'far right' as he clearly wouldn't support a party that was. But the mainstream media called them 'far right'. Wikipedia calls them 'far right' if anyone chooses to look up FB to find out what sort of party Moz was supporting. You go one step further and describe them as 'fascist'. If Moz wanted to distance himself from his previous support he could do so at any time. He hasn't.
So in your eyes Moz voiced support for a fascist party and hasn't retracted that support. And yet you don't see that as 'problematic'?
I remain of the opinion that his previous support for FB is almost certainly one of the factors why no UK label will sign him. I don't say it's the only factor - but it is almost certainly one of the factors.

I really can't get my head around the drama that always seems to swirl around Morrissey when it comes to album releases. James are lining up a new album release for the new year and including this one each of the last 5 albums have been on a different label. No drama, no noise on social, they just get on with it. I wonder what it is that makes Morrissey different?

Slow news day?
its only a slow news day if you arent happy with the front page,if was morrisseys album released tomorrow would that be a fast news day.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom