Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

Yeah, he does throw himself into the deep end.

happiest when sinking?

As long as he’s the one that put the stones in his own pockets, he’s fine with the choices that he’s made.

Though being able to complain and sing about it, is a bonus for all of us.

Oh the life of an artist, in any time.

happiest when sinking?

As long as he’s the one that put the stones in his own pockets, he’s fine with the choices that he’s made.

Though being able to complain and sing about it, is a bonus for all of us.

Oh the life of an artist, in any time.

I think it just bothers him that journalism is meant to be real & it's biased, edited, censored, clichéd, faked, nepotistic, incomplete, unfair... etc.

He can't even accept the good stuff, like awards.

Yeah, he does throw himself into the deep end.
No, I don't. You both are just bringing up any excuse for your God that's called Morrissey. But that's OK, you have the right to do so, we have the right to laugh about your cognitive dissonance.

Rubbish, thats simply the thinking-formula youre stuck with about everything, starting with Moz

Aye, right. There's been no discourse about Twitter tribes, echo chambers, silos, pile-ons, or polarized political debates.

Everyone just tweets their own opinion in their own words & never suffers any consequences for it.

That's why Tim used a slang term that out-groups anyone who doesn't agree with his in-group while signalling he's part of that in-group & shouldn't be out-grouped.

Thankfully no one's studied this, so we have no way of knowing that it occurs.

No, I don't. You both are just bringing up any excuse for your God that's called Morrissey. But that's OK, you have the right to do so, we have the right to laugh about your cognitive dissonance.

I was talking about Morrissey.

I guess your cognitive abilities couldn't manage to work that out.

WTF? 😐
you cognitive ability is very poor, do you even understand any of the posts here?🧐

Musician totally misunderstood my post. It was basically me saying that it seems pretty obvious (at least to me) that Morrissey doesn’t give a shit (thank god) about his public image or his fans approval when it comes to championing issues and causes that are important to him.

I thought Morrissey was a big supporter of PETA. Why didn't he sign this letter about #FurFreeBritain? I was looking for Morrissey's signature, but I only found Johnny Marr's. Do you think he cancelled PETA or did PETA cancel him?

Aye, right. There's been no discourse about Twitter tribes, echo chambers, silos, pile-ons, or polarized political debates.

Everyone just tweets their own opinion in their own words & never suffers any consequences for it.

That's why Tim used a slang term that out-groups anyone who doesn't agree with his in-group while signalling he's part of that in-group & shouldn't be out-grouped.

Thankfully no one's studied this, so we have no way of knowing that it occurs.

somebody is going way too far searching foe an excuse of Master Morrissey's far-right escapades. Use your energy for something more decent. Take a break.

somebody is going way too far searching foe an excuse of Master Morrissey's far-right escapades. Use your energy for something more decent. Take a break.

My post wasn't about Morrissey. He doesn't engage with Twitter.

Salmon what are you talking about? 🧐
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: was a hinderance to Moz FFS
even his buddy Hooky has to acknowledge that
Le :frogface: had but one sucky:guitar:

RCM: You think he’s better than Johnny Marr?

PH: He is because he writes more memorable guitar lines. If you listen to Joy Division, and you listen to New Dawn Fades, Shadowplay – you hear fantastic, monumental guitar. Name me a great riff of Johnny Marr’s apart from How Soon Is Now? New Dawn Fades, Insight, Twenty Four Hours – now that’s f***ing great guitar work.

thats why Bernard quit that group. Le :frogface:
was very poor playing the dumb :guitar:
Peter Hook had a feud with Johnny Marr some years ago. I don't think they are friends.

I thought Morrissey was a big supporter of PETA. Why didn't he sign this letter about #FurFreeBritain? I was looking for Morrissey's signature, but I only found Johnny Marr's. Do you think he cancelled PETA or did PETA cancel him?

No one here would know.

Just make up your own explanation,
someone here is bound to agree with you eventually.

He famously doesn't answer if he's not in the mood.

And as far as we know he's in an LA hotel.

Weren't you all going on about how he relentlessly champions his causes? Isn't being anti-fur one of them? A PETA anti-fur letter is just something you would expect to find his name on. It's another misstep for him, another missed opportunity to speak out for something righteous.

If you looked at who he was interested in & why - it makes sense.
Yes, I understand it but I'm just explaining why so many people are mad at him, and the mass desertion of the fanbase.
He clearly doesn't hold consistently right-wing views but he was foolish enough not to realise the conclusion people would reach if he urged them to support a right-wing party.
It's a total clash with everything The Smiths ever stood for, and The Smiths' agenda was largely set by him (however much Marr would like to think otherwise).
It doesn't matter when Gary Barlow says vote for a right-wing party - if anything it reinforces his image. But for Morrissey to do likewise was just unthinkable, reflected in Tim Burgess incredulously observing that Morrissey had become a gammon. Morrissey, of all people! WTF!
Here's the gammon definition from Urban Dictionary.
"They dislike multiculturalism and the 'equality agenda', and obsess about 'lefties', immigrants, Jeremy Corbyn and the fabled liberal metropolitan elite." A little unfair to compare Morrissey to this but perhaps not entirely.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand it but I'm just explaining why so many people are mad at him, and the mass desertion of the fanbase.
He clearly doesn't hold consistently right-wing views but he was foolish enough not to realise the conclusion people would reach if he urged them to support a right-wing party.
It's a total clash with everything The Smiths ever stood for, and The Smiths' agenda was largely set by him (however much Marr would like to think otherwise).
It doesn't matter when Gary Barlow says vote for a right-wing party - if anything it reinforces his image. But for Morrissey to do likewise was just unthinkable, reflected in Tim Burgess incredulously observing that Morrissey had become a gammon. Morrissey, of all people! WTF!
"They dislike multiculturalism and the 'equality agenda', and obsess about 'lefties', immigrants, Jeremy Corbyn and the fabled liberal metropolitan elite." A little unfair to compare Morrissey to this but perhaps not entirely.

:rolleyes:

the definition was written by a gammon.:blushing:
so you make a unsername with two Lawnmower gammons in it. glommer gammons those two, FH Mike and DH Andy when will they ever gammon a job?:mad:

They've been calling him a racist since 1986.

They've been obsessing over his nostalgia since 1983.

Journalists can do research, they can read, it wouldn't take long to work out why he believed in her - they got hysterical because they'd been manufacturing a Moz is reactionary narrative for decades.

& gammon is obsolete. Corbyn was gubbed. We're still stuck with the fallout.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom