Fiona Dodwell: "Five Morrissey Albums That Deserve Reappraisal" (December 3, 2020)

run,run young man through the glen.
glen is such a scottish word,wonder what his thinking was when writing it.
i actually pass through a glen on the way to work and a waterfall,wonder how many people can say they pass a waterfall on their way to work everyday.

That must be heartwarmingly awsome.

Viva Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

run,run young man through the glen.
glen is such a scottish word,wonder what his thinking was when writing it.
i actually pass through a glen on the way to work and a waterfall,wonder how many people can say they pass a waterfall on their way to work everyday.
I'd say almost nobody could say that. You must be tempted to pull over and ring in sick. I lived in Edinburgh for 3 years and will never forget the scenic beauty when we would go travelling at weekends and the odd days off. Should have done more of that.

Fiona Dodwell‘s work needs no reappraisal. She likes Morrissey. That’s ok. She doesn’t understand that others have had enough of his gob, so is on a one woman mission to bore them to death with her opinion. Not ok.

After it was released, ISTR that someone posted a version on here with all the rambling ambient intro/outro stuff cut out. That would help with pacing.
It probably would but I like the ambient stuff.

Drag the River, Forgive Someone and Julie in the Weeds—this is grandiose Sinatra level material. Sublime.
One Of Our Own, Forgive Someone and Art-Hounds are the highlights for me.

River and Julie are sweet songs too. I wonder if Giovanni's Room by Baldwin played any role at all in inspiring the lyrics to Drag The River because the expression "drag the river" appears a couple of times at a pivotal point in the story.

River and Julie are sweet songs too. I wonder if Giovanni's Room by Baldwin played any role at all in inspiring the lyrics to Drag The River because the expression "drag the river" appears a couple of times at a pivotal point in the story.
There’s an old rockabilly song I used to own which featured the line ‘they’ll be draggin’ the river for me’ in the chorus. I love One of Our Own, it could’ve been a successful single.

aye, the bonus tracks on World Peace are really lovely and enjoyable. Except Scandinavia and Art Hounds, which probably should have been left in 2011 and not played as recently as 2015.

EDIT: Scandinavia has been played as recently as 2019. jesus f***ing wept

There’s an old rockabilly song I used to own which featured the line ‘they’ll be draggin’ the river for me’ in the chorus. I love One of Our Own, it could’ve been a successful single.
One of our own is the best song on WP,

I'm sure there are more possible sources for that expression, I just thought it wasn't unlikely because it must have been written around the time when he got more obsessed with Baldwin.

It always stands out to me when Morrissey uses that word/name, because it is my own. Of course, Glen is mentioned in ‘Death At One’s Elbow’...well Glenn, anyway.
I like the legend that is Glen Campbell too but that's another story.

I'm sure there are more possible sources for that expression, I just thought it wasn't unlikely because it must have been written around the time when he got more obsessed with Baldwin.
Obsessed with Mike Baldwin knicker factory owner in Coronation St and love rival to 'Dodgy' in The Leather Boys? 🤔

seems to have inspired is it really so strange as a couple of phrases are almost exact lines from the book. I always liked Scandinavia myself and I must be one of the very few to not care that much about art hounds

Fiona Dodwell‘s work needs no reappraisal. She likes Morrissey. That’s ok. She doesn’t understand that others have had enough of his gob, so is on a one woman mission to bore them to death with her opinion. Not ok.
Knocking on your door this morning, shoving it down your throat (and so on) was she?

Obsessed with Mike Baldwin knicker factory owner in Coronation St and love rival to 'Dodgy' in The Leather Boys? 🤔
Yes, Mandingo. That's the one I'm talking about.
Definitely not James Baldwin.

seems to have inspired is it really so strange as a couple of phrases are almost exact lines from the book. I always liked Scandinavia myself and I must be one of the very few to not care that much about art hounds
Most of those seem to have flown over my head. The only one I marked with regards to Is It Really So Strange is "What in the world do you want me to do? I can’t help the way I feel."

There are a couple of other phrases that are reminiscent of Smiths era lyrics though.

Last edited:

Another possible source:

"It was about dark now; so I dropped the canoe down the river under some willows that hung over the bank, and waited for the moon to rise. I made fast to a willow; then I took a bite to eat, and by and by laid down in the canoe to smoke a pipe and lay out a plan. I says to myself, they'll follow the track of that sackful of rocks to the shore and then drag the river for me. And they'll follow that meal track to the lake and go browsing down the creek that leads out of it to find the robbers that killed me and took the things."

HUCKLEBERRY FINN, By Mark Twain.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom