Fiona Dodwell: "A Rebel Without Promo" (January 5, 2023)

My god, the paranoia is reaching levels never seen before! And it's so dishonest to say that Rebels "hit the charts at #73".

I've said it before but it's not hard to keep your name out there in this day and age, what does he do in this space - absolutely nothing.

FiDo is not making sense. Who is supposed to be helping Morrissey when he says he's cut ties with everyone?
Richard Blade had to tell Alain he was playing the single and I don't think it got promoted on any of Morrissey's sites.
Why doesn't Morrissey just come out and tell us what happened? Why is Fiona pestering Miley Cyrus and now all these other people?

Does anyone here consider Fiona to be a Morrissey insider? Has she heard the full Bonfire album and does she have any special insight into its current status?

Here she speaks of the Veronica track needing re-recording and not just the Miley element in need of replacement. Is there any truth in this, or I am hopelessly scanning signs for something substantial about the fate of Bonfire - my most anticipated record of 2023.

Where’s the conspiracy? She’s merely suggesting that there’s been resistance to playing his new song on the radio? From what I’ve (not) heard, she’s right.
It was a bit of a hurried, no-fanfare release though. It quite possibly wasn't promoted to radio stations.

A lazy analysis. Rebels has almost 450,000 listeners on Spotify which, without any promotion, is pretty decent.
And actually comparable to Bobby’s or It’s Over’s numbers before the album was released.
Point of clarification:

Rebels Without Applause has almost 450,000 streams. This is not the same as 450,000 listeners.

This amount of streams is equivalent to between 750 and 4,500 physical single sales. How can it be such a broad range?
In the UK (as an example, although most markets have a similar calculation structure) if a song gets 100 streams on a premium account it counts as 1 physical sale or if it gets 600 streams on an ad funded platform it counts as 1 sale.

We can't know how many unique listeners Rebels has, but we can understand the stream total is roughly the equivalent of somewhere between 750 and 4,500 unique customers if we assume the number of streams is mixed between premium and free account users.

As an extra note, the 431,702 streams (at time of commenting) are a global tally.

Does anyone here consider Fiona to be a Morrissey insider? Has she heard the full Bonfire album and does she have any special insight into its current status?

Here she speaks of the Veronica track needing re-recording and not just the Miley element in need of replacement. Is there any truth in this, or I am hopelessly scanning signs for something substantial about the fate of Bonfire - my most anticipated record of 2023.
Yes - this is interesting. Either she's jumped the gun or she's let slip some actual info regarding what's going on that she's been given by the Morrissey camp.

Personally, if I was working for Capitol Records I'd just dump Morrissey and bin this release already. What label wants to work with an artist and his official spokeswoman who are busy attacking them in public before it's even been released? Nothing good is going to come from this relationship. He's just not worth the effort.

Point of clarification:

Rebels Without Applause has almost 450,000 streams. This is not the same as 450,000 listeners.

This amount of streams is equivalent to between 750 and 4,500 physical single sales. How can it be such a broad range?
In the UK (as an example, although most markets have a similar calculation structure) if a song gets 100 streams on a premium account it counts as 1 physical sale or if it gets 600 streams on an ad funded platform it counts as 1 sale.

We can't know how many unique listeners Rebels has, but we can understand the stream total is roughly the equivalent of somewhere between 750 and 4,500 unique customers if we assume the number of streams is mixed between premium and free account users.

As an extra note, the 431,702 streams (at time of commenting) are a global tally.
True, and Interesting. My point is that the lead singles from the past two albums had similar amounts of streams, or lead singles from comparable artists like Suede or Iggy Pop also, pre-album release. So we cannot conclude, as Fiona lazily does, that lack of effort from Capitol has led to less interest in Rebels.

Maybe team Moz (incl Fiona) had hoped Capitol would be able to sell this song to the main radio stations, like Spent the Day, but I think Capitol had that in mind for Veronica closer to the album release around this time of year.

Yes - this is interesting. Either she's jumped the gun or she's let slip some actual info regarding what's going on that she's been given by the Morrissey camp.

Personally, if I was working for Capitol Records I'd just dump Morrissey and bin this release already. What label wants to work with an artist and his official spokeswoman who are busy attacking them in public before it's even been released? Nothing good is going to come from this relationship. He's just not worth the effort.
I cannot see how the song will need to be completely re-recorded. The process of recording a song would put every vocal and instrument on a separate audio track. This used to be kept on master tapes but now they are just files stored on a computer. Morrissey knows the importance of these master copies and was reason The Smiths broke into rough trade to get some masters back In the 1980’s. He has paid for the recording and he will have access to the masters.

The mix, effects will all be saved. if they just want to delete Miley then press mute and run the export. If they want another vocal in her place then that will need to be recorded into that project. it is not a big job, it just needs a bit of organising and obviously he needs to find the right person.

The mix, effects will all be saved. if they just want to delete Miley then press mute and run the export.
One would certainly hope that Watt has saved the final mix - though conceivably as the project was completed and given back to Morrissey 2 years ago he may (understandably) have thought the project was done and dusted and no longer have that stage, which would mean going back and re-mixing the whole thing from the ground up again.

My main query would be - if it's as simple as pressing 'mute' on Miley's channel, why all this hullaballoo? Just a simple straightforward statement that from Moz/Capital that Miley's vocal is no longer included because of rights issues would have solved everything. Instead we have all this public drama, with Moz threatening to walk away from the label etc. It's total chaos, and it needn't be.

Those Tweets from the management company state that they are replacing the vocal rather than just muting Miley. Only xmas was holding that process up.

I know there is a lot of noise from Morrissey but there isn’t actually much information about the album itself. I am hoping that is good news, i am hoping people within Capitol are moving things forward at the right pace, ignoring Morrissey and will release some information when they are ready.

no one talking about how lackluster the track is and how that could be contributing to slow numbers?

The paranoia level just moved to Def-Con 4. Moz should self-release and sell his albums at a slew of 2023 concerts at the merch bar and online. With half the sales of traditional channels he'd still make the same net profit. Imagine the excitement at getting his new album at his concert.

MV5BNDJkZThiZjYtNmViNy00N2I4LWFkYmYtNTM3NzdiMGFiMjFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

The paranoia level just moved to Def-Con 4. Moz should self-release and sell his albums at a slew of 2023 concerts at the merch bar and online. With half the sales of traditional channels he'd still make the same net profit. Imagine the excitement at getting his new album at his concert.

MV5BNDJkZThiZjYtNmViNy00N2I4LWFkYmYtNTM3NzdiMGFiMjFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Why do profits even matter at this point? he's a rich old man, with no children to pass down his wealth to.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom