Fiona Dodwell: "10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today" (November 3, 2020)

10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today

"It’s hard to believe that the man who carved out his niche as the patron saint of the outcast in the 80's is now in his fourth decade of music-making. There’s a lot of internet mythology and needless controversy surrounding Morrissey, but despite this, few would dare to contend the fact that the British music icon has penned more than his fair share of classics.

Whether it’s the garage rock grittiness of his 2009 release Years of Refusal, or the sweeping strings and classical sounding sobriety of Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Morrissey has nailed it again and again both as a lyricist and a vocalist."

Update:
November 4, 2020 - now linked to by Central and using another 'shopped image by Victor Esparza.
0_b65xz8.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Back in the day when I had a turntable, I'm sure there was a little trick whereby you would balance a few coins on the head of the arm to give it a bit of added weight, and that would possibly fix things? Worth a try & nothing to lose I guess.
Yes, I've heard of that one. Never tried it though, I think I might be able to adjust the arm to increase the weight but the scratch looks pretty serious.

I hate it when people misquote lyrics, particularly when they're supposed to be extolling their virtues.

It's not “Down to a few lines/In the back page of a teenage annual/Oh, but I remembered you/I looked up to you.” - the correct lyrics are “Down to a few lines/In the back page of a faded annual/Oh, but I remembered you/I remembered you.”

I hate it when people misquote lyrics, particularly when they're supposed to be extolling their virtues.

It's not “Down to a few lines/In the back page of a teenage annual/Oh, but I remembered you/I looked up to you.” - the correct lyrics are “Down to a few lines/In the back page of a faded annual/Oh, but I remembered you/I remembered you.”
I think the lyrics vary, depending on source. PJLM agrees with your version, although they do indicate changes.

"Little Man, What Now?"

...which is right and which is wrong?
I cannot say, ohhh

Here is my list....I am sorry to say, but I don't agree with her list at all!

Nobody Loves Us (B-side to "Dagenham Dave")
Hairdresser on Fire (Viva Hate album cut/B- side to Suedehead)
Sister I'm A Poet (B-side to "Everyday Is Like Sunday")
(I'm) The End Of The Family Line (Kill Uncle album cut)
Now My Heart Is Full (Vauxhall & I album cut)
You Know I Couldn't Last (You Are The Quarry album cut)
Ganglord (B-side to "The Youngest Was The Most Loved")
Jack The Ripper (live version from Beethoven Is Deaf/World Of Morrissey)
My Dearest Love (B-side from "All You Need Is Me")
Trouble Loves Me (album cut from Maladjusted)

Bonus:
Now I Am A Was (B-side from "Satan Rejected My Soul)

Deluxe Edition Bonus Track:
Lost (B-side from "Roy's Keen")

Last edited:
I think the lyrics vary, depending on source. PJLM agrees with your version, although they do indicate changes.

"Little Man, What Now?"

I cannot say, ohhh

That's true, Morrissey is known for making lyrical changes during live shows, but Fiona specifically referred to the album version.

Someone who loves the song would know the lyrics. Morrissey has never sung the lyrics as they're quoted in the article, either live or on record. Seems to me like she simply copied and pasted them into her piece, but anyone who knows and loves the song, as she purports to do, would have noticed the discrepancies immediately.

"Little Man, What Now?"

I cannot say, ohhh
Well, the "correct" lyrics are the lyrics he's singing on the record.

What Fiona quoted are the lyrics that are transcribed on the inner sleeve or booklet of Viva Hate but he never sang it that way, so The Donald was right in pointing out her mistake.

That happens a lot with Morrissey lyrics. Sometimes entire verses are missing from the transcription or, as was the case with I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, the transcription includes lines that aren't present in the actual recording.

Good list. Few of my favorite "underrated" songs would be

There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
Hated For Loving
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Jackie's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
Jim Jim Falls
I think no song on Vauxhall is really underrated because everyone loves that album, but There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends (original album version) and Driving Your Girlfriend Home are excellent choices.

Surely - surely - these songs and this, ahem, 'article', are a preface to a new compilation album of songs you are damn well going to listen to this time around called "Cold Leftovers From Yesteryear's Turd Buffet"

Surely - surely - these songs and this, ahem, 'article', are a preface to a new compilation album of songs you are damn well going to listen to this time around called "Cold Leftovers From Yesteryear's Turd Buffet"

🥸

whats wrong with you FFS? are
you smoking gin the hookah?:turban:

Containing one previously-unreleased track, 'Suedehead (Money For Old Rope Remix)' by someone you've never heard of.

Here is my list....I am sorry to say, but I don't agree with her list at all!

Nobody Loves Us (B-side to "Dagenham Dave")
Hairdresser on Fire (Viva Hate album cut)
Sister I'm A Poet (B-side to "Everyday Is Like Sunday")
(I'm) The End Of The Family Line (Kill Uncle album cut)
Now My Heart Is Full (Vauxhall & I album cut)
You Know I Couldn't Last (You Are The Quarry album cut)
Ganglord (B-side to "The Youngest Was The Most Loved")
Jack The Ripper (live version from Beethoven Is Deaf/World Of Morrissey)
My Dearest Love (B-side from "All You Need Is Me")
Trouble Loves Me (album cut from Maladjusted)

Bonus:
Now I Am A Was (B-side from "Satan Rejected My Soul)
Hairdresser On Fire was a B-side on the 12inch of Suedehead. Really great list by the way and your bonus track Now I Am A Was is incredibly underrated but absolutely brilliant!👍

Surely, surely you've got something better to do with your time?

Hairdresser On Fire was a B-side on the 12inch of Suedehead.
I was going to say that but keep in mind that it was included on the US (and Canadian, I think?) version of Viva Hate. That's why many Americans think it belongs on that album, just like they do with How Soon Is Now and Meat Is Murder...

I was going to say that but keep in mind that it was included on the US (and Canadian, I think?) version of Viva Hate. That's why many Americans think it belongs on that album, just like they do with How Soon Is Now and Meat Is Murder...
Actually never knew that re Hairdresser. Thing is I bought Meat Is Murder on CD several years ago from a UK HMV store and I was happy but surprised to see How Soon Is Now on it. I've got a feeling it might have been a German version but don't quote me.

Enjoyed that, if only as a reminder of some tracks I've not played for a while. Not a bad track amongst them, simply because there are no bad Moz tracks at all. Wonderful.
Moz has released a massive amount of quality songs. Most of them are brilliant. But I wouldn't rate a few songs such as Sweetie Pie, the opening non minute of I'm Not A Man, Journalists Who Lie (although it's not the worst), Art Hounds, and a few others. But it's nit picking. His back catalogue pre and post Smiths is staggering.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom