Fiona Dodwell: “Morrissey remains centerstage as he turns 63” (May 18, 2022)

From MusicNews.com.

This week - 22nd May, to be precise – music legend Morrissey will be celebrating his 63rd birthday. It's almost inconceivable to staunch critics that the artist has been able to remain so revered, relevant and respected for so long. In the somewhat fickle world of entertainment, to attain the kind of longevity Morrissey has, is an almost impossible feat. Impossible for some, clearly not for the singer himself, who has been releasing music for four decades and who continues to draw vast crowds in the live arena.
Over recent weeks, the artist has played a series of live shows, including at the Fremont Theatre, (San Luis Obispo, CA), the Orpheum Theatre (Pheonix, AZ) and the Cruel World Fest (Pasadena, CA). “Lyrics of self-discovery rang true with all generations of Moz fans,” one review stated (LA Times), “from the gray-haired goths, to the kids who just bought their first Smiths t-shirt at Hot Topic. His ghostly vibrato captured the crowd until the very end of his one-hour set...” Fans lapped up the energetic performances; his army of devotees pressed against barriers, reaching out to touch the hand of their idol. Audiences were also treated to a track - I Am Veronica - from his much-anticipated upcoming album, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Soon to come is Morrissey's residency at The Colloseum. The British singer will be playing a series of dates throughout July in Las Vegas, where fans are travelling from across the world to see the him live in action.

It would be hard for even his most stubborn opponents to deny Morrissey possesses that extra “something” - that unique charisma and energy that keeps generations of music-lovers queueing at the barriers. Morrissey fills arenas, theatre stages and festival line-ups around the world, even after 40 years in the business. Looking back to those heady days of The Smiths, where his performances on tour drove audiences to scenes reminiscent of Beatle-mania, and throughout his solo career, where many worldwide tours were sold-out, bursting to capacity, it seems safe to say the artist belongs on stage. Then, as he is now in 2022, he remains a vital and magnetic live artist.

As he celebrates his birthday this week, fans might wonder what the rest of this year holds for the much-loved Mancunian. With a completed album ready to go, several live dates under his belt and a Las Vegas residency on the way, it's fair to say Morrissey is still at the top of his game and ready to tackle whatever comes his way in 2022. As his supporters have insisted from the start, Morrissey is truly a timeless artist. His fans have seen the evidence.

It is hard to imagine that Mick Jagger was 46 when Morrissey wrote "Get Off The Stage". Now Morrissey is turning 63! Crazy that we thought 46 was old!

Mick 78 now, that’s what happens when you live long enough.

I love Morrissey, obviously. There have been some great reviews of his recent shows, but this bootlicking by Ms. Fiona is not that, it's just cringeworthy.

Oh here he is again, posting the same BS that's identical to the same thing he's been paid to say 117 times before.
He has no independent thought and is an absolutely appalling "left wing" fraud.
Oh here he is again, posting the same BS that's identical to the same thing he's been paid to say 117 times before.
Uhuuuuuuuu!!!! Aha!! Jaja

There are not yet any international press reviews but on Twitter, the commissioned work is seen quite differently, as usual:
"Well said..."
"Another great read..."
"What a great read..."
"Masterpiece as usual..."

Last edited:
Academics involved in Anti-Fan Studies recognise 'disownership' as a form of self-identification. 🧐

From the Guardian in 2007, but I didn't note the journalist.
I believe this statement and have written versions of it. The other side of the coin, of course, is that the opposite is also true. Identity can be and is also formed partially by the "ownership" of calling yourself a fan. And it's often those who go furthest in this process and consider themselves some elite level or "true fan" who crack up when something goes wrong.
We have a well documented case study on this site. The person who is most invested in what he sees as some sort of sacred mission to undermine Morrissey once positioned himself as one of the most knowledgeable fans.

Interesting article. Thanks for mentioning it.

Actually I’m left wing, I’m just offended by skinny pretending to be as well simply because he’s obsessed with Morrissey hate.
As Jung said, "What you resist persists."

Skinny is not getting less Morrissey in the lives of fans but he is getting more Morrissey in his own life than it needs.

As Jung said, "What you resist persists."

Skinny is not getting less Morrissey in the lives of fans but he is getting more Morrissey in his own life than it needs.
He's just encouraging people to come to Morrissey's defence by being vile. If anything he makes me like Moz more.

Untrue, that's a Band Biography date, Steven admitted on Melbourne Victoria radio interview 6 April 1985 his true birthday is 6 April 1968

So, I was hoping M. after an awful few years, personally (his mum. by his admission, he wasn't well. Utterly understandable),
and Career wise (no record label AGAIN. Quite obviously losing a large chunk of his fan base - look at the venues he's been playing much smaller than normal and still not sold out
One of his best Lps in an age, got lost in the Covid shuffle
The venues that are big have row upon row of blacked out woe- by that I mean rows of seats blacked out and a sizable "GA" area became small as the stage got moved forward, making the GA 1/3 the normal size - this happened not just in UK venues but also around American ones.)

I personally didn't care, I like seeing M in smaller venues and I do not care about M not having a label, apart from when it means his music isn't being released
That's the thing, the reason M hasn't been signed in the manner he wants is due to him not selling,
He could do and say what he wanted if he sold. Its not a grand plan, its a case of M being more trouble than he is worth, to many

These days he seems to be doing the right thing, he keeps his gob shut, he made music and also though his gigs haven't been "fire" as people say .They have been heartfelt
His Vegas shows were mainly a success, and his Cruel World warm-ups seemed restrained but fun.
Cruel World, itself, was more about supporting M and seeing he was ok, he was still out there.
Although, I was excited at the time and thought M pulled it off and to me he was the best, because I have love for him and care for him. I could sense the masses didn't share my view (which i do not care about)

If you were a truth sleuth, you would find, M wasn't considered the best performance of both nights- It doesn't matter what I and the hardcore think,
A majority have stated Bauhaus (who im not keen on) stole the show and Blondie- who by the way, are both older than M

I can see why M got Fiona to write her article, a bad one comes out in the press, M gets Fiona to write one to counter- the trouble is its not a workable stance, as the media's articles reach more people and lots of the writers (not all) are respected, all are better known and better writers than Fiona and reach a wider audience.
I hope M doesn't start trotting this "even at my age" stance.Its not wise, as there are loads of artists who are older who sell and do better and longer gigs than M

I would rather see an article about M releasing new music. That is what should have been the next move

Cue your post being moved to the off-topic thread because you dared point out that all Skinny litters every thread with the same old excrement, regardless of what the topic is.

Fiona may not be the greatest writer of all-time but it doesn’t make her points invalid; certainly no less valid than Skinny’s point that he’s been clogging up the u-bend of Central with for….how many years now?

Tags
article birthday fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom