Fiona Dodwell: “Morrissey remains centerstage as he turns 63” (May 18, 2022)

From MusicNews.com.

This week - 22nd May, to be precise – music legend Morrissey will be celebrating his 63rd birthday. It's almost inconceivable to staunch critics that the artist has been able to remain so revered, relevant and respected for so long. In the somewhat fickle world of entertainment, to attain the kind of longevity Morrissey has, is an almost impossible feat. Impossible for some, clearly not for the singer himself, who has been releasing music for four decades and who continues to draw vast crowds in the live arena.
Over recent weeks, the artist has played a series of live shows, including at the Fremont Theatre, (San Luis Obispo, CA), the Orpheum Theatre (Pheonix, AZ) and the Cruel World Fest (Pasadena, CA). “Lyrics of self-discovery rang true with all generations of Moz fans,” one review stated (LA Times), “from the gray-haired goths, to the kids who just bought their first Smiths t-shirt at Hot Topic. His ghostly vibrato captured the crowd until the very end of his one-hour set...” Fans lapped up the energetic performances; his army of devotees pressed against barriers, reaching out to touch the hand of their idol. Audiences were also treated to a track - I Am Veronica - from his much-anticipated upcoming album, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Soon to come is Morrissey's residency at The Colloseum. The British singer will be playing a series of dates throughout July in Las Vegas, where fans are travelling from across the world to see the him live in action.

It would be hard for even his most stubborn opponents to deny Morrissey possesses that extra “something” - that unique charisma and energy that keeps generations of music-lovers queueing at the barriers. Morrissey fills arenas, theatre stages and festival line-ups around the world, even after 40 years in the business. Looking back to those heady days of The Smiths, where his performances on tour drove audiences to scenes reminiscent of Beatle-mania, and throughout his solo career, where many worldwide tours were sold-out, bursting to capacity, it seems safe to say the artist belongs on stage. Then, as he is now in 2022, he remains a vital and magnetic live artist.

As he celebrates his birthday this week, fans might wonder what the rest of this year holds for the much-loved Mancunian. With a completed album ready to go, several live dates under his belt and a Las Vegas residency on the way, it's fair to say Morrissey is still at the top of his game and ready to tackle whatever comes his way in 2022. As his supporters have insisted from the start, Morrissey is truly a timeless artist. His fans have seen the evidence.

Just once I'd love to read an article about Moz that tells me something I don't already know.

Oh well I'll never learn (unless you have something to teach).

Just once I'd love to read an article about Moz that tells me something I don't already know.

I don’t think there is anything that could be written that we don’t already know.
The only interesting articles about Morrissey are interviews, and they’re thin on the ground these days.

I wonder if he gets requests and says no, or if people assume he’ll say no so don’t bother asking for an interview.

I don’t think there is anything that could be written that we don’t already know.
The only interesting articles about Morrissey are interviews, and they’re thin on the ground these days.

I wonder if he gets requests and says no, or if people assume he’ll say no so don’t bother asking for an interview.
Maybe it's for the best because he tends to lose fans every time he speaks now, causing a never ending wait for a new record deal.

Knocking it out of the park? It's poorly-written, low-effort, cringeworthy pap which must have taken her about 5 minutes.
It's laughably bad. "His army of devotees pressed against barriers, reaching out to touch the hand of their idol"... Jesus Christ. It's like reading the diary of a 14 year old girl, and you think that's 'knocking it out of the park'?

It's unbelievable that someone as sharp and intelligent as Morrissey, who grew up idolising the Burchills and Morleys of the music press, now has people 'fighting his corner' with this slack drivel.

I shook his hand from the front row of a concert once, he gave me a dirty look. The bastard.

Seem to recall he got a request off someone like Rolling Stone in relatively recent times. However, on learning that he wouldn't answer any questions relating to politics they refused to do the interview. So, that was the publication saying 'no' not Morrissey.

Last edited:
Seem to recall he got a request off someone like Rolling Stone in relatively recent times. However, on learning that he wouldn't answer any questions relating to politics they refused to do the interview. So, that was the publication saying 'no' not Morrissey.

Where did you read this?

Knocking it out of the park? It's poorly-written, low-effort, cringeworthy pap which must have taken her about 5 minutes.
It's laughably bad. "His army of devotees pressed against barriers, reaching out to touch the hand of their idol"... Jesus Christ. It's like reading the diary of a 14 year old girl, and you think that's 'knocking it out of the park'?

It's unbelievable that someone as sharp and intelligent as Morrissey, who grew up idolising the Burchills and Morleys of the music press, now has people 'fighting his corner' with this slack drivel.

did I say it was good writing?

Her and skinny are two sides of the same looney coin.

‘It’s really laughable! ha ha ha ha…’

I think that might be the reason we listen to his songs.

Thanks Fee for your involvement in the biggest issues of the day.

Oh here he is again, posting the same BS that's identical to the same thing he's been paid to say 117 times before.
He has no independent thought and is an absolutely appalling "left wing" fraud.
Oh hey, looky there! Another right winger!

‘It would be hard for even his most stubborn opponents to deny Morrissey possesses that extra “something”’

Tell us more, tell us more, did you get very far?

Academics involved in Anti-Fan Studies recognise 'disownership' as a form of self-identification. 🧐

From the Guardian in 2007, but I didn't note the journalist.
That probably happened when an entire bunch of c***s stared at the head of Guy Fawkes. Before it was never put on a pike.

It is hard to imagine that Mick Jagger was 46 when Morrissey wrote "Get Off The Stage". Now Morrissey is turning 63! Crazy that we thought 46 was old!

Tags
article birthday fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom