Finding A Job

Adeptly_Inept

19, clumsy & shy
So I recently received a lecture from my mother about how it's about time I found a job. Which is fair, seeing as I am becoming a bit of a financial burden.

However the world of work seems to be in favour of extroverts. I never seem to meet any of the job requirements - Confidence, being able to work in a fast paced environment, good with people etc. Regardless of this, I have applied for such jobs only to be declined immediately!
Also, a lot of applications involve picking up the phone and calling the place of work. Which is virtually impossible for me!

Ultimately, I am just interested in what your experiences of finding work are/were like? Were there any jobs you really enjoyed? Were there any jobs you loathed?

Re: Finding A Job!

The two best jobs I've had started from doing volunteer work. If there are job training centers where you work go to them and see what is available. You may get a break there. Your ability to write clearly is worth more than a bubbly personality if you find a field that suits you. In the meantime, say if you were to volunteer at an animal shelter or a charity that feeds children, you would gain confidence, feel connected, and make a difference in the world that matters.

You don't really have to be good with people naturally in order to work. It is a set of skills that can be developed. You are your own worst enemy with these thoughts about what you can't do. No one can do everything, but when you find something you care about you will forget to think about what you can and can't do and just do it.

Read two classics, "How To Win Friends and Influence People," and "The Power of Positive Thinking." These books are old and may seem outdated in some ways but they will remain in print as long as books are being printed because they offer great advice.

The two best jobs I've had started from doing volunteer work. If there are job training centers where you work go to them and see what is available. You may get a break there. Your ability to write clearly is worth more than a bubbly personality if you find a field that suits you. In the meantime, say if you were to volunteer at an animal shelter or a charity that feeds children, you would gain confidence, feel connected, and make a difference in the world that matters.

You don't really have to be good with people naturally in order to work. It is a set of skills that can be developed. You are your own worst enemy with these thoughts about what you can't do. No one can do everything, but when you find something you care about you will forget to think about what you can and can't do and just do it.

Read two classics, "How To Win Friends and Influence People," and "The Power of Positive Thinking." These books are old and may seem outdated in some ways but they will remain in print as long as books are being printed because they offer great advice.
Great post, the volunteering thing is perfect just to get out and about no one is going to find you in your bedroom. Isolation is a bad thing full stop but a very bad thing when job hunting.

Thanks for the advice. I am currently studying Art at university which is a challenge due to the people thing, however it's something I am attempting to recover from. I'm hoping to go into graphic design, and just need income while I study.

I've heard about "How To Win Friends and Influence People" but never got 'round to buying it. Thanks for the recommendations, shall definitely give those books a read.

Great post, the volunteering thing is perfect just to get out and about no one is going to find you in your bedroom. Isolation is a bad thing full stop but a very bad thing when job hunting.

Looks like tomorrow may involve venturing out into the wilderness!

I wouldn't worry about getting a job though if your in university as you're probably already very busy and have a lot of pressure already. I'd live off the student grant if you can. You've just got to be careful going in art degrees. I know a hell lot of people who didn't get anywhere after their art degree. One of my friends paints signs for roadworks with his degree :(

Back
Top Bottom