Filter Magazine Interview

Alma.Anima

again i lay awake
Morrissey Exclusive: Calling it Quits?
by Staff; Photo by Michael Muller | 01.12.2009

In a recent interview with Filter magazine, Morrissey talked about his music, his life, the new record (Years of Refusal, February 17), and as you will find below, the prospect of quitting the biz. Here’s the nugget:

How many more years do you want to continue making music?

Morrissey: “I don’t want to go on much longer, really. I think that would suggest a lack of imagination. A certain lack of dignity also. There has to reach a point where you’ve said enough, I think.”

For the complete interview and cover article, check out the next issue of Filter, hitting the stands in February.

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=18212&c=1

:(

Photographed with a Johnny Ramone statue, no less.

MOZ1.gif

wow! I like this

Morrissey: “I don’t want to go on much longer, really. I think that would suggest a lack of imagination. A certain lack of dignity also. There has to reach a point where you’ve said enough, I think.”

I wish he'd thought about this before YoR

Everything we know about the man suggest that retirement will only come with Death or loss of the voice.

Morrissey lives for the interaction; the adulation and the desire. As long as there is someone, somewhere willing to listen he will keep working.

Yes, there may come a time when the 100 / 200+ date tours may cease - and that may be soon.

But we've heard this before - the end is not in sight people.

I think there will be at least another album and big tour and then more albums and smaller tours to follow.

At least I hope there will be

GC

I wish he'd thought about this before YoR

Yes, I certainly wish he'd stopped before releasing one of his finest solo albums too.

One day,goodbye WILL mean farewell. :(

Yes, I certainly wish he'd stopped before releasing one of his finest solo albums too.

thanks is exactly what I was thinking,
there are some people on the forum who just want to wind everybody who loves morrissey up (everyone here!)
I'm starting to ignore the negative remarks as it feeds more so well said orsonswells

morrissey: “i don’t want to go on much longer, really. I think that would suggest a lack of imagination. A certain lack of dignity also. There has to reach a point where you’ve said enough, i think.”

i wish he'd thought about this before yor

go and f*** yourself you spineless swine with a cemented mind

Goodbye Will Be Farewell, You Were Good In Your Time and All You Need Is Me ('you're gonna miss me when I'm gone") made me wonder, if YOR is the last album.
I hoped I was wrong :(

Perhaps one last album where he pulls out all the stops - writing a few tunes with Marr would be a great farwell gesture.

Goodbye Will Be Farewell, You Were Good In Your Time and All You Need Is Me ('you're gonna miss me when I'm gone") made me wonder, if YOR is the last album.
I hoped I was wrong :(

A lot of people said the same thing when Friday Mourning came out.

Peter

This reminds me of a quote from 1985:

"I think they'll always be autobiography [his songs], and when the day arrives where I can't write in that sense or I'm drained, I'll just step down. I won't go on. There's nothing worse, really, than the writer, the singer, who's outlived their usefulness and who've really drained their diaries, as it were. Which I still haven't done. There's nothing more embarrassing and pointless and sad than that. So when I've drained the resources, I will step down, much to the relief, I'm sure, of the British public."

I've been thinking about this quote a lot recently. With Years of Refusal seeming to be a lyrical nadir for Morrissey, has he reached this point? I find it hard to believe he will ever quit, but on other hand, does he still have anything to say? Still, I think that he'll choose to go out on a high note, so I don't think Years of Refusal will be the last album. He'll release another resurrection album in the Arsenal/Quarry vein, and then will say goodbye.

For a few years, until he comes back... Do you really think he could stay away?

I think Morrissey is very old school and there is probably going to come a time when he just can't exist in the music business as it is now. I can't imagine him getting excited about releasing a download only album that the indie kids are going to download along with the hundred other albums they download that week and never listen to.

This reminds me of a quote from 1985:

"I think they'll always be autobiography [his songs], and when the day arrives where I can't write in that sense or I'm drained, I'll just step down. I won't go on. There's nothing worse, really, than the writer, the singer, who's outlived their usefulness and who've really drained their diaries, as it were. Which I still haven't done. There's nothing more embarrassing and pointless and sad than that. So when I've drained the resources, I will step down, much to the relief, I'm sure, of the British public."

I've been thinking about this quote a lot recently. With Years of Refusal seeming to be a lyrical nadir for Morrissey, has he reached this point? I find it hard to believe he will ever quit, but on other hand, does he still have anything to say? Still, I think that he'll choose to go out on a high note, so I don't think Years of Refusal will be the last album. He'll release another resurrection album in the Arsenal/Quarry vein, and then will say goodbye.

For a few years, until he comes back... Do you really think he could stay away?

I think Years of Refusal is the most autobiographical album he's ever released. The lyrical nadir came with Kill Uncle!

Thanks for posting it! :) I was a bit desperate after the Paris vid that I don't find him attractive anymore but that pic is hawt. :horny: He's such a tease - he won't step down.

Forgive my ignorance but, is Filter an American magazine?

Thanks for posting it! :) I was a bit desperate after the Paris vid that I don't find him attractive anymore but that pic is hawt. :horny: He's such a tease - he won't step down.

Forgive my ignorance but, is Filter an American magazine?

blahblahblahblahblah:sleeping::sleeping::p

I think Years of Refusal is the most autobiographical album he's ever released. The lyrical nadir came with Kill Uncle!

Well, I think all his albums are autobiographical (some more than others) and I'll never defend Kill Uncle, but I think that Years Of Refusal is similar to Kill Uncle in that he's spinning his wheels and not trying very hard to say anything new - or even to say the same old things in a new and artistic way. I expect a comeback album next time around.

Tags
hull=shithole interview steve's not your pet
Back
Top Bottom