Favourite Moz/Smiths song containing a reflexive pronoun?

Favourite Moz/Smiths song containing a reflexive pronoun?

• Wide To Receive

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I Can Have Both

• William, It Was Really Nothing

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Unhappy Birthday

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Everyday Is Like Sunday

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together

• November Spawned A Monster

• Nobody Loves Us

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • We'll Let You Know

• The Ordinary Boys

• Ganglord

• Stretch Out And Wait

• Come Back To Camden

• Get Off The Stage

• Total voters
I must have even been more bored that you to post this. ;)

lapphoto.jpg

Nice poll dazzak, but I'm confused by some of the choices. I didn't have the energy to go through the lyric sheets of every song you listed, but do these actually all have reflexive pronouns?

Like - Everyday is Like Sunday? Unhappy Birthday? Ganglord?

I'm probably just unaware of some rules about what makes a word qualify as a reflexive pronoun. But thus I am confused.

Anyway, my unambiguous favorite is William, It Was Really Nothing. When I heard the lyric 'I don't dream about anyone - except myself' - that was the moment I fell in love with Morrissey forever.

love, math+

Yeah - a cracking poll, but confusing, yes. And that's what makes this - to agree with another thread about this being a good site (although i think the word 'cool' was used...) - a great site to visit. Posters are often imaginitive, funny and informative (unlike the 'twee to you' site,which is boring; I posted something on the 'Sun newspaper' thread a couple of days ago to that effect and wanted to copy it here but, for some reason, I couldn't).

Nobody Loves Us, btw - a pure classic.

A bit obvious, btw, wasn't it that NLU would be my choice, given my signature and avatar's title....

sarahT said:
I think Dazzak is just being sarcastic. At least I hope he is.

well, most of the listed songs actually do contain reflexive pronouns... so that would suggest some dry humor indeed... :)

love, math+

Math Tinder said:
well, most of the listed songs actually do contain reflexive pronouns... so that would suggest some dry humor indeed... :)

love, math+

I presumed Dazzak was totally taking the mickey out of all the recent polls asking things like:

'' What is your favourate Morrissey song containing a positive pronoun?''
or
''Which Morrissey song using a spilt infinitive made you burst into tears the most when you listened to it on a Thursday?''

Math Tinder said:

love, math+
Most? How dare you.

Wide To Receive: "And I don't/Get along with myself"

I Can Have Both: "I'm trying to explain to myself/I can have both"

William, It Was Really Nothing: "I don't dream about anyone/Except myself"

Unhappy Birthday: "I say 'No'/And then I shot myself"

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side: "You can't do it by yourself... any longer"

Everyday Is Like Sunday: "Win yourself a cheap tray"

Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together: "And they give you nothing real/For yourself in return"

November Spawned A Monster: "In the clothes that she went out/And chose for herself"

Nobody Loves Us: "So we... oh we tend to please ourselves"

We'll Let You Know: "We will descend/On anyone unable to defend... themselves"

The Ordinary Boys: "Happy knowing nothing/Happy being no on but themselves"

Ganglord: "Get yourself back to the ghetto!"

Stretch Out And Wait: "God, how sex implores/To let yourself lose yourself"

Come Back To Camden: "There is something I wanted to tell you/It's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing"

Get Off The Stage: "You're making a fool of yourself/So get off the stage"

sarahT said:
I presumed Dazzak was totally taking the mickey out of all the recent polls asking things like:

'' What is your favourate Morrissey song containing a positive pronoun?''
or
''Which Morrissey song using a spilt infinitive made you burst into tears the most when you listened to it on a Thursday?''

You've got a very good sense of humour for YOURSELF sarahT! :D

I refuse to believe I'm the only one who thought it was a spoof poll. It's such an odd question.

sarahT said:
I refuse to believe I'm the only one who thought it was a spoof poll. It's such an odd question.
I am deadly serious. Most people focus on Morrissey's use of adjectives, nouns or verbs. What people don't realise is that without the reflexive pronouns, the songs would be nothing.

I'm sorry, dazzak, clearly you had it well planned out. But, I thought that for a word to qualify as a reflexive pronoun, it had to be preceded by the pro/noun to which it refers, within the same clause.

So, my bad about Unhappy Birthday (I actually thought the line was 'I'm gonna kill my dog' both times), but I don't think the examples from Ganglord and Everyday Is Like Sunday are actually reflexive pronouns?

Shit, I'm truly sorry if I'm just looking super anal here... the unusual nature of the poll just seems to invite it... but I don't mean any of this in a nasty way at all. Maybe I'd better bow out of this one. :)

much love, math+

Math Tinder said:
I'm sorry, dazzak, clearly you had it well planned out. But, I thought that for a word to qualify as a reflexive pronoun, it had to be preceded by the pro/noun to which it refers, within the same clause.

So, my bad about Unhappy Birthday (I actually thought the line was 'I'm gonna kill my dog' both times), but I don't think the examples from Ganglord and Everyday Is Like Sunday are actually reflexive pronouns?

Shit, I'm truly sorry if I'm just looking super anal here... the unusual nature of the poll just seems to invite it... but I don't mean any of this in a nasty way at all. Maybe I'd better bow out of this one. :)

much love, math+
The Ganglord one is debatable because "yourself" isn't preceded by it's antecedent, but I still think it constitutes a reflexive pronoun as the rules are unclear. Same goes for Everyday Is Like Sunday. I think they're still reflexive as the antecedent in both cases is the same as the reflexive pronoun (ie for Ganglord it means "You get yourself back to the ghetto" and Everyday "You win yourself a cheap tray"), but just happens to be left out for musical purposes.

^happen to disagree about those two, but i truly admire the thought+research you've put into the subject, dazz - good show - much love :)

daz! i thought of 2 more, to perhaps atone for my prior mistakes?

Panic - 'I wonder to myself, could life ever be sane again?'

Accept Yourself - 'When will you accept yourself?'

xo, math+

dazzak said:
I am deadly serious. Most people focus on Morrissey's use of adjectives, nouns or verbs. What people don't realise is that without the reflexive pronouns, the songs would be nothing.

Most people focus on nothing of the sort. The songs contain verbs, adverbs, nouns, adjectives etc because they are made up of words and grammatical terms used in the English language. You may as well have an earnest discussion on how and why Morrissey has used the word ''and'' in his songs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom