Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
My favourite song was Art Hounds until I listened to this album and they ruined it. The beginning with the high school marching band warming up, the desperate synth in the background ruining what was an amazing track which on live listening was frenetic, raw and punchy.

So my favourite now is Istanbul with World Peace, Bull fighter and Kiss me alot following but even the singles that sounded great live are quietened down morrissey's lament 'Brazil and Bahrain' isn't a soaring cry of pain but it is just a shout in the wind. Passion removed.

I'm slightly late to the party with this but just listened to the album right through and I have to say I think it's exceptional.

The musical diversity between tracks is, in my opinion, not matched by anything we've seen from Morrissey before.

Its a triumph. Well done man!

Highlights:

Istanbul
Staircase at the University
The Bullfighter Dies
Kiss Me a Lot
Julie in the Weeds
Art Hounds

Smiler With Knife

I'm Not A Man, with Staircase a close second

I feel 'Mountjoy' could have benefitted from an addition chorus of "we all lose" somewhere between the verses...it would make it seem less redundant.

Well as someone who's yet to hear the bulk of thee album, I'm pretty impressed that there are 6 songs better than Istanbul (according to the poll results).
That alone makes me think it might well be his best since Vauxhall.
Also, hugely relieved that World Peace is considered the worst song - the lyrics are just appalling.
What a poor little fool Morrissey is for a) releasing this cringe-fest as the first single, and b) naming the whole album after it.
Lends a whole new dimension to the phrase 'to shoot oneself in the foot'.

Easily Forgive Someone. Sad to see it's reduced to a B side.

Thus far, I've just listened to the bonus disc (Scandinavia, One Of Our Own, Drag The River, Forgive Someone, Julie In The Weeds and Art Hounds).

How could anyone list "Art Hounds" as their favourite? Terrible track- embarrassingly bloated.

"Drag The River" is a nice lyric (for a change from recent times). Clearly the cream of this group.

"Forgive Someone" and "Julie In The Weeds" have a Pulpish feel, but without the same wit and polish. Pleasant enough if you're not paying close attention.

"Scandinavia" is making nearly the most of silly song- it sounds alright enough, the recording executed quite well, but nevertheless this is a pretty ludicrous affair.

"One Of Our Own" starts off with a questionable drum beat, but then a promising piano line and still promising opening line, "Standing at the stone of one of our own", but it soon takes a dive off one of the steepest cliffs in Moz' cannon. "He took the lead aimed for my head"? "He took the plug and he hit the rug"? "He took a round and he hit the ground"? "He took the blast, his very last"? Has there ever been such blunt, off-key sentiment before written? These lyrics might've been great if meant to leave the listener rolling on the floor in uncontrollable laughter- but clearly this was supposed to be a real emotional masterpiece. Hahaha.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the album proper now....

Last edited:
3 tracks into the album proper...

WPINOYB is still dreadful- not the worst sounding song, but again some of the worst lyrics ever.

"Neal Cassady Drops Dead" appears to showcase Morrissey's first attempt at rap- and it turns out as you might think it should. Did he actually say "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies"? Jesus, Moz.

Clocking in at nearly 8 minutes, surprisingly "I'm Not A Man" is not too long and despite a couple of cringeworthy lyrics toward the end this stands head and shoulders as the best track thus far (not including "Drag..."). Still, it sounds like like one or more songs that Jarvis Cocker has already written and done a much better job of.

We press on....

Kinda wish I didn’t vote, because it keeps changing. I may have to go with the majority and change it from “Kiss Me A Lot” (which I still love!) to “Staircase..."

3 more tracks... 2 singles we already knew to be underwhelming to piss poor and new song touted by many to be one of the best off the new album.

"Istanbul" is okay- it rings somewhat hollow, but whatever.

EITLPOA is brutal. This obsession with cheesy Latin rhythms has to stop.

"Staircase At The University" is pretty good- a little heavy handed (as is the way now) but the best tune thus far by far.

Constant interruptions... let's see if we can't get through this thing....

If there is a song that needed to be a bit longer, it's "The Bullfighter Dies"- another thirty seconds to a minute, with the tune pumped up a bit could've made it worthwhile and allowed one to overlook the slightness and laziness of the lyric.

"Kiss Me A Lot" is flat out annoying.

And if there's a song that needed to be much shorter it's "Smiler With Knife"- whata drag.

Last edited:
Last but not least, the final quarter.

"Kick The Bride Down The Aisle", despite the hilarious "cow" line, is pretty infantile and another dreary tune.

"Mountjoy" is excellent and I don't think only by comparison. Hand it to Moz- even now he still somehow seems to pull one or two out of his arse. This is a beautiful track, well appointed musically, stacking up amongst other great classics.

"Oboe Concerto" is surprisingly alright- nothing spectacular, but a dignified closer.

So, what are we left with? From 18 new tracks we have probably only 3 truly great tracks- "Staircase At The University", "Drag The River" and "Mountjoy"- another small handful of decent tracks, one or two of which border on quite good and then a glut of pretty poor offerings including some of Morrissey's worst material ever- "One Of Our Own", "Neal Cassady", "EITLPOA", "Smiler" and the laughable title track. How anyone is giving this a 7/10 or better with a straight face is beyond me- at best we're talking 2/5 (and that's being very generous). Worst album of Morrissey's career? Without a doubt.

Favourite song of WPINOYB you ask? That undistinguished title goes to "Mountjoy". But to refer to "Mountjoy" as simply the best track off the latest album is a huge disservice- it's a truly great Morrissey song. "Staircase" and "Drag" are fantastic as well. Three diamonds in the shite as it were. Thanks for comin' out.

Given my username and given that I've been bemoaning the quality of Moz's output since he failed to follow up Vauxhall with anything, it gives me enormous pleasure to announce that I think this record is fantastic and in terms of tracks, I'm Not A Man is up there with anything he's ever done solo outside of Vauxhall.

What a composition and arrangement. AT LAST!

Just a few thoughts:

I'm Not A Man sounds very Kill Uncle-era.

Istanbul for some reason reminds me of a much better version of Black Cloud.

Smiler With Knife is only good when M. isn't singing, and gets real good when he stops singing completely.

I do just love Kick The Bride Down The Aisle, everything from that menacing intro to his impassioned delivery - and no, I don't think he's being sexist in the slightest.

Last edited:
i get that people dont like the words to world peace the song but i cant find anyone saying why. does anyone want to take a little time and explain what makes them cring worthy. im 34 american and very very involved in politics mostly campaigning and i thought them pretty good. cheers in advance if anyone does take the time.

As another user mentioned, if a track as strong as Istanbul is somewhere in the lower half of this poll then I'm very, very excited to hear the album later this week.

As another user mentioned, if a track as strong as Istanbul is somewhere in the lower half of this poll then I'm very, very excited to hear the album later this week.

I honestly thought "Istanbul" would be the best song on the album, but I probably prefer half the album and some of the extra tracks.

Back
Top Bottom